Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM

63 posts, read 430,406 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte (I live in NY, my parents in Greenville, SC) and I want to have a job before I move. I work in the TV/Video Industry which in itself is a tough industry to get into without having a connection.

So my question is whether or not I put down my parents address in Greenville, SC on my resume and pretend I already live there because truth be told if i did get a job I would be down on the next plane. Or do I leave my NY address and explain in a cover letter my situation that I am serious about moving? Will having a local address help my chances more than a NY address?

Secondly...do NYer's have a hard time finding a job in Charlotte more than usual, meaning do resumes find their way into the trash bin, is their an anti NY/Northern bias in the Southern workplace? Do employers assume that NYers are brash.....My Cousin Vinny types. Will an employer look at a NY resume and say......Hey Great Experience or will they say.......NOT ANOTHER NY'er!!

I hope these questions don't come off the wrong way, that I am already thinking negativley or something. I love the Southern way of life and think 99% of people are friendly. I'm just wondering how it translates into the workplace and finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte (I live in NY, my parents in Greenville, SC) and I want to have a job before I move. I work in the TV/Video Industry which in itself is a tough industry to get into without having a connection.

So my question is whether or not I put down my parents address in Greenville, SC on my resume and pretend I already live there because truth be told if i did get a job I would be down on the next plane. Or do I leave my NY address and explain in a cover letter my situation that I am serious about moving? Will having a local address help my chances more than a NY address?

Secondly...do NYer's have a hard time finding a job in Charlotte more than usual, meaning do resumes find their way into the trash bin, is their an anti NY/Northern bias in the Southern workplace? Do employers assume that NYers are brash.....My Cousin Vinny types. Will an employer look at a NY resume and say......Hey Great Experience or will they say.......NOT ANOTHER NY'er!!

I hope these questions don't come off the wrong way, that I am already thinking negativley or something. I love the Southern way of life and think 99% of people are friendly. I'm just wondering how it translates into the workplace and finding a job.
Use your parents address, it will get you further. The job market here is tight - unemployment low. There are many applicants for the best jobs so employers don't always take the time to fool with the folks wanting to move from further than the Carolinas. Secondly, in all likelihood the person interviewing you will be from NY or some other place himself. The natives are the minority now in Charlotte - I wouldn't worry too much about bias in the workplace. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,401 times
Default No cousin Vinny

Unless you ARE cousin Vinny, you will have no problem. I'd say that in my office, half are from "up north" anyway. And the natives I know do not have a problem with Yankees, in fact I rarely here the word anymore ( I DID 15 yrs ago when I moved here from Indiana). Come on down!

Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM

90 posts, read 239,302 times
I too am moving to Charlotte and i have a cousin there who wouldnt mind if i use thier address but i worry about being caught in the lie . i dont think that would make a good impression.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 PM

90 posts, read 239,302 times
what do you do in television?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM

84 posts, read 122,118 times
It will be tough to use a local address if you are not in the area. Employers like to set up appointments in the spur of the moment. Not sure how you are going to come in for an interview tomorrow or the next day if you aren't local.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM

769 posts, read 2,209,783 times
I found that being here made a huge difference - I had applied to numerous positions before I moved and never even heard back from them in spite of a cover letter stating that I was already planning to relocate - was hired 3 weeks after landing in Charlotte by a totally different company.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 55,251 times
I'm relocating to Charlotte from Chicago and I must say that I'm finding it pretty difficult to get interviews there as well. I decided to just bite the bullet and come down and find something. My background is in banking and I have good experience so it shouldn't be too hard....at least I hope not.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,890,846 times
If you are in banking you should be ok.

I will say this: it is not a Charlotte-only issue. TRUST ME, I am friends with recruiters and have used them myself. If you do not live in the city (yet) in which you are applying, you are often automatically thrown to the side. Why? Because (a) employers are literally getting hundreds of resumes a day for one monster or career builder ad and (b) they assume that you may be asking for relocation assistence.

This is how it works.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 24,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post

Hello,

Take it from me. It is better to just move here and start to look for a job. It was hard for me. I put in my resume everywhere and I mean everwhere. I got maybe one interview in the time I was living in Ohio. I moved here in July. Bingo.. the interviews started comming. It is a lot easier to establish yourself. Then it is to try long distance job hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: