Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Myers Park seems to be the obvious pick from what the OP asked. However, after reading this past posts and a little of his background I don't think he would be accepted (as a young, single from NYS) by the Myers Park community. I could be wrong and besides which I'm not quite sure he would be totally satisfied there anyway.

The lake sounds like a better choice for him or a slick condo in Uptown along with a club at the lake or in another upscale area.
Oh, I so agree. But OP did not ask us if he would be ACCEPTED by his neighbors.

And one must have a sponsor to get into the venerable country clubs . . . not likely unless one is serving on a board w/ another member or has school connections ("We prepped together at Randolph Macon") or has family connections ("My mother and Trey's mother were suite mates at Mary Baldwin.")

Now, getting into the nouveau/faux riche clubs is a wholly different thing.

But OP didn't ask us that.

Snobbery in Charlotte is not like snobbery elsewhere. It is founded on such things as where you went to school (especially important if your admittance to said institution was a "legacy" admittance), who your gggrandaddy was, what charitable organizations you are active in, where your second home is located, what golf memberships you have, where your children prep, how much time you have spent in Europe, how good a bloody mary you can fix, etc. etc.

Bling is considered tacky. Tis much better to have an old Benz than a new Bentley. New Bentleys are the type of thing NFL football players buy. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:35 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Try California.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Goodness.....California is a very large place, that is far too general of a comment to make.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Try California.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 AM

257 posts, read 669,621 times
I would stick with Lake Norman. "Old Money" people in Myers Park/Eastover would look down on someone who has a need to flash around their money in a tacky way.

But then again, if you go to Lake Norman, I always heard people in south Charlotte call them "Lake Trash". I guess this is due to the parties and the boat tie-ups.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
I would stick with Lake Norman. "Old Money" people in Myers Park/Eastover would look down on someone who has a need to flash around their money in a tacky way.

But then again, if you go to Lake Norman, I always heard people in south Charlotte call them "Lake Trash". I guess this is due to the parties and the boat tie-ups.
I hear the term "Lakenecks". I think it fits better too.

Last edited by Native_Son; 06-22-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
If you want snobbery, go to Atlanta (Buckhead) or a big city in FL....NC and SC don't have too much of that...better yet, move to Beverly Hills, CA or Newport Beach, CA or Malibu, CA or Rancho Santa Fe, CA...you get the jist, So Cal is the home of obscene snobbery.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 AM

I just take objection to that. We moved here from SoCal. Sure, there is some of that....DH worked with a lot of celebs in his job, but there are also the MAJORITY of folks just living their lives in a very casual/down to earth manor. I am one of them. I find more snobbery in Charlotte to be honest.....women can't go to the grocery store without their new designer bag and hair and make up done just so.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If you want snobbery, go to Atlanta (Buckhead) or a big city in FL....NC and SC don't have too much of that...better yet, move to Beverly Hills, CA or Newport Beach, CA or Malibu, CA or Rancho Santa Fe, CA...you get the jist, So Cal is the home of obscene snobbery.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats View Post
Based on how many of the forum members would respond about better (higher priced) homes and the motivated hard working people who live in them, I thought it would be easiest just to ask the haters where the "snobiest" area of Charlotte is? As they would probably define it. I would also appreciate those with true knowledge to jump in as well...
Absolutely positively Myers Park.
It is where I would live if I had the means.
Very old school, clubby, and all about who you are (school/uni etc) and not necessarily how many zeros are on your balance sheet.
Other than the prop values, the wealth is extremely understated for the most part.

Perfect house for you on the cover of today's Charlotte Business Journal.
French Chateau style custom home 5,700 sf, $3.7M
Lots of $1.5M homes around, but it sounds like you really need to make your mark.

If you are looking for more acceptance and bling, consider the outlying areas such as Lake Norman or Ballantyne.

Last edited by mullman; 06-22-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
You should take a tour in your fine autmobile through the Hidden Valley area, or you can try Beatties Ford Rd south of Sunset....you would love the areas. Make sure to tour it at night and wear all your fine jewelery and clothes so you will fit in. Those areas are amazing

OUCH!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 AM

You are too funny Ani.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, I so agree. But OP did not ask us if he would be ACCEPTED by his neighbors.

And one must have a sponsor to get into the venerable country clubs . . . not likely unless one is serving on a board w/ another member or has school connections ("We prepped together at Randolph Macon") or has family connections ("My mother and Trey's mother were suite mates at Mary Baldwin.")

Now, getting into the nouveau/faux riche clubs is a wholly different thing.

Snobbery in Charlotte is not like snobbery elsewhere. It is founded on such things as where you went to school (especially important if your admittance to said institution was a "legacy" admittance), who your gggrandaddy was, what charitable organizations you are active in, where your second home is located, what golf memberships you have, where your children prep, how much time you have spent in Europe, how good a bloody mary you can fix, etc. etc.

Bling is considered tacky. Tis much better to have an old Benz than a new Bentley. New Bentleys are the type of thing NFL football players buy. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte