U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,677 times

Advertisements

Kicking it off with the new Transformers movie.

Simon.com - Event Details

I'm going on Thursday with a friend of mine but now I have to see if he wants to see this on the Imax screen. Once you see something on an Imax screen it's hard to go back to the regular one.

Edited for awesomeness...I'm breaking this baby in 8:30 on Thursday evening.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 06-23-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,124,033 times
IMAX is great but if the film isn't shot specifically for IMAX I don't think it is worth the extra money to see it. There is one at Stonecrest also.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
IMAX is great but if the film isn't shot specifically for IMAX I don't think it is worth the extra money to see it. There is one at Stonecrest also.

This one, like The Dark Knight, was shot and digitally remastered specifically for Imax with a slightly longer running time than the regular version (looks to be a few minutes longer). Otherwise I agree, it wouldn't be worth the extra money.

Even when the image doesn't fill the entire screen like the other parts of The Dark Knight it's still enormous. When it does, with that sound system, it's staggering.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Transformers 2 IMAX Cut Slightly Longer! - ComingSoon.net

Quote:
The way to see this movie is on IMAX. Never before has there been 4k rendered character animation shot on full IMAX 70 mm film. This is a first and the results are stunning. You will see Optimus Prime in a few shots where he is actually perfectly to scale on the IMAX 50 foot tall screens.

For IMAX, I created a slightly longer cut with more robot fighting. Four scenes were shot on IMAX cameras so the screen will fill the full IMAX screen for these scenes.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,734,977 times
I saw the new Star Trek movie at the Stonecrest IMAX. The viewing experience was good, but I wouldn't really say it was worth the extra money. These multiplex theaters aren't true IMAX, like you'd see at a giant domed theater like at Discovery Place. It's a bigger screen, the image doesn't jitter like standard projectors, and the sound system was nearly painful for the Transformers coming attraction. But it didn't have the same immersive experience as a true IMAX setup, and I think they are diluting the IMAX brand name with these pseudo-IMAX multiplex screens.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I saw the new Star Trek movie at the Stonecrest IMAX. The viewing experience was good, but I wouldn't really say it was worth the extra money. These multiplex theaters aren't true IMAX, like you'd see at a giant domed theater like at Discovery Place. It's a bigger screen, the image doesn't jitter like standard projectors, and the sound system was nearly painful for the Transformers coming attraction. But it didn't have the same immersive experience as a true IMAX setup, and I think they are diluting the IMAX brand name with these pseudo-IMAX multiplex screens.

I doubt the 33 market push by IMAX and AMC will dilute the name at all. If anything, so long as it's done right, it should enhance the brand name.

Domes are great imax experiences but they're not true to a regular motion picture IMAX experience (a dome as opposed to the slight bend of a "normal" IMAX screen). When I saw The Dark Knight at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, that was an IMAX experience. You can absolutely recreate that in a multiplex, just like the one on Union Square in Times Square (located within a 13 screen mulitplex).

Now Star Trek I wouldn't see on an IMAX screen knowing it wasn't shot and mastered specifically for IMAX. That's throwing money away. For a movie like this one with the tagline "The IMAX Experience", sequences shot with specialized IMAX cameras, sound mastered for IMAX' geometrically positioned speakers, image mastered for an IMAX screen, it becomes worth the 14 dollars to see it.

The Dark Knight was jaw dropping on an IMAX screen. If Transformers 2, or any other "IMAX Experience" movie comes close to TDK, Concord Mills will eventually have a winner on it's hands. If it's done right it's like going from a 50 inch television screen to a portable.

Give a movie with that "IMAX Experience" tagline a shot. Stay far away from the domes, go to the screens with the slight bend. I'll bet you have a change of mind.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,053,850 times
Personally, the dome screen uptown makes me ill. Happens every time I go there.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,124,033 times
Ya, TDK was awesome on IMAX. I saw it at the Smithsonian out at Dulles Airport which has one of the giant IMAX screens. I guess I will have to see Transformers at Stonecrest. It is on at 3:15 am tomorrow.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,652,793 times
I recently watched the latest "Night At the Museum at Stonecrest iMax and was very disappointed(at iMax). The screen is a bit bigger and the sound is louder(too loud), definitely not worth the extra price of admission.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,673,533 times
I see so few movies in the theatre, I make I see it on a good screen. I am just happy this is sort of good news, vs. eh news, market news, someone doing something bad news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte