Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,059 times

Advertisements

Just as a follow-up to my previous post, and in case anyone is interested, I found this site that carries some organic repellents that say they won't harm snakes:

Yardlover.com: The Superior Online Lawn and Garden Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
There is a repellent called Snake-A-Way that you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. The active ingredients are naphthalene (moth balls) and sulfur. It needs to be applied in a band about 6-8" wide around the home or yard, etc. that you're trying to protect. I tell my customers that I don't think that it works 100% of the time on all species of snakes, but I apply a lot of it every year. It's not labelled to be used inside a structure or in a crawlspace! Exterior only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
NC - Can you (or anyone else on board) pls. advise what you can put in your yard to keep away snakes? Not for me, but for my neighbor ... her doggy just got bit on Monday in her yard by a copperhead and she would like to know what she can put in the yard (if there is anything) to keep away the snakes. TIA. ~ Nina

Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
sonufagun, looks like you are absolutely correct! I have NO idea where I got my information from, but I've had it wrong for decades...

Apologies
Thanks Native.

When I was little (5. 6ish) my parents used to always tell me to "sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite", well I thought they said "dead" bugs, I couln't figure out how a dead bug could bite. Then one day I realized they said "bed bugs". Hey, I was little.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,654 times
Wink Critters R Good

I'm lucky to have a wooded backyard with 'critters.' We've lived here for over five years and I've not used insecticides, except for ant bait to treat a few fireant mounds. Guess what--The backyard is still beautiful!

Please avoid pesticides--They're harmful to wildlife and end up in our water.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
Most all of the pesticides that are available to homeowners are very low in toxicity to people and wildlife if applied according to the label! The EPA is extreme in their regulatory practices and goes overboard when it comes to pesticides, and they regulate the pesticide and pest control industries. The problems arise when products are used incorrectly (several times the labelled amount for example). Very few products that are used for Structural Pest Control will end up in the water supply unless they are applied incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Please avoid pesticides--They're harmful to wildlife and end up in our water.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Default Embrace it!!

I think that you will find that the more you tend to utilize your yard/lot the fewer and fewer of the little creatures you will see. We purchased a home with a wooded lot, an abundance of trees, and which had been vacant for several years. It was "arachnophobia", lizard landing, and we were host to lots of other creatures. As time progresses and they are aware of your habitation they will see the boundaries and step back or peacefully co-exist, because often times we are as agitating to them as they are to us. Enjoy your lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte