Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,696,288 times

Advertisements

I just downloaded WeatherBug onto my computer and my daughter is in tears, because she saw the tornado warnings flash across the screen. Coupled with the fact that my husband just decided to have a "family meeting" about what we should do when a tornado hits!
Are we hitting the panic botton a little too soon here?
Side note: My daughter would freak at severe thunderstorm warnings and any other severe weather warning back in NJ too.
Personally, I'm facinated by stormy weather. It makes me realize how "small" we really are as human beings.
Any input from long-time residents? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 03:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,891,198 times
Awww, your poor daughter! Tell her everything is fine!!

The conditions are certainly RIGHT for a tornado to develop. The time to get worried is when funnel clouds have been spotted. So far today that is not the case. Tell your daughter a warning is just that-- a warning. Tell her you all are talking about it to be cautious, and she should not get upset, poor thing. Tell her that the chances of anything happening are slim, but now that you all have come together as a family to plan, she should feel very secure! :-)

And I agree, storms fascinate me, but make me a little nervous, too!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
The hail at my house was cherry-sized. The warning was in my neighborhood; funnel clouds are interesting..... .

Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Looks like it's bad everywhere, guys! Ick!
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8OH844O0.html

Old 04-15-2007, 03:55 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,279,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Looks like it's bad everywhere, guys! Ick!
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8OH844O0.html

the weather is HURENDIOUS here in NJ...

Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM

110 posts, read 393,303 times
Default Not too bad

We're just ending a thunderstorm here in Concord. Cabarrus County was under a tornado watch because conditions were good for a tornado to form. Iredell County was under a tornado warning a few hours ago. It just looks like a really heavy spring rain right now.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
I dont know how long you lived here but it really something you will have to get use to especially in the summer. Summer time we have alot of late afternoon thunder poppers. The watches means conditions are ripe and warning is for either a tornado been spotted or cloud conditions picked up by doppler radar indicate one but doesnt mean one has touch down. They are usually followed by a projected path. Today isnt a great day far as news channels being weather hounds but a few of stations have very good technology they can zoom in on the thunderstorm and tornado warnings and give you projected streets or communities it is heading towards.

The problem with the terrain of the piedmont is if a funnel cloud is spotted up the road from your location it hard to look for it due to the hilly terrain. One could indicator you are about to get hit hard either with thunderstorm or tornado if outside it looks like almost nighttime in the day time and that would be a good time to brace for the worst.

I am fascinated with weather too even hurricanes. It a wild feeling to step outsde before a hurricane hits and you can feel the barometric pressure dropping and the tropical carribean feel to the air. Then you go inside and wonder what room isnt under a tree LOL. I remember Hurricane Hugo it was like a war zone outside with all the trees just snapping away.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 PM

It's really raining hard here in Union County, but thankfully the trees are no longer blowing sideways! Thanks for the kind words, kmway. I read your post to my daughter, and she feels much better now.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont know how long you lived here but it really something you will have to get use to especially in the summer. Summer time we have alot of late afternoon thunder poppers. The watches means conditions are ripe and warning is for either a tornado been spotted or cloud conditions picked up by doppler radar indicate one but doesnt mean one has touch down. They are usually followed by a projected path. Today isnt a great day far as news channels being weather hounds but a few of stations have very good technology they can zoom in on the thunderstorm and tornado warnings and give you projected streets or communities it is heading towards.

The problem with the terrain of the piedmont is if a funnel cloud is spotted up the road from your location it hard to look for it due to the hilly terrain. One could indicator you are about to get hit hard either with thunderstorm or tornado if outside it looks like almost nighttime in the day time and that would be a good time to brace for the worst.

I am fascinated with weather too even hurricanes. It a wild feeling to step outsde before a hurricane hits and you can feel the barometric pressure dropping and the tropical carribean feel to the air. Then you go inside and wonder what room isnt under a tree LOL. I remember Hurricane Hugo it was like a war zone outside with all the trees just snapping away.
I remember the smell and the warmth of that Caribbean air during hurricane season, living in Florida, years ago. It was amazing, but very unnerving all at the same time.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Thanks for the kind words, kmway. I read your post to my daughter, and she feels much better now.
Oh, I am glad! I felt bad for her! Storms can be so scary for kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte