Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Well dayum! Surely a Charlotte annoucment has to be coming soon Fashion retailer H&M coming to Hanes Mall : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/06/24/article/fashion_retailer_hm_coming_to_hanes_mall - broken link)
Wow, before Charlotte? Interesting.

I could see one at Northlake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 AM

77 posts, read 137,311 times
I emailed H&M about Charlotte & got a response - they said they "haven't announced" a store in Charlotte, but they are starting online shopping in 2012. A southpark or northlake area store would do really well. Come on H&M! Golden opportunity here!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 AM

240 posts, read 731,791 times
Default H&m

I used to work for H&M many years ago back in my hometown of London, it was even popular then although my favourite place that I worked was Top Shop.

Brings back memories.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

Since they choose Winton-Salem over Greensboro, I think it’s becoming apparent it’s a space issue with them expanding here. There just doesn’t seem to be an available space that’s large enough for the type of store they want to do. And I imagine that was the issue with Greensboro too. These stores in Raleigh and Winston-Salem are large, two level deals. Unless they build something from the ground up, I don’t see where they could put one of these in Charlotte until something huge vacates one of the malls. Maybe Borders ends up leaving Northlake? That's possible.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

This isn't the 1st time that the Triad was picked for a NC entry. The Christmas Tree Shops went into Greensboro, near Guilford College. My guess is that they look at a map & see that the Triad is between Charlotte & Raleigh & they think that locating there will get them customers from all 3 metros.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
This is such BS!!! H&M comes to Raleigh and Greensboro before Charlotte!! I'm so annoyed!! Anyway, I do know that H&M's problem is that they haven't found a good spot to put an H&M here and it has nothing to do with anything more than that. They have been looking for a long time here because the market is in high demand. Just a little insider info for you.

And my two cents is to NOT go to Northlake, that mall is ghetto - personal opinion. I think a store in South Park, or ideally uptown would be perfect. Hey and I wouldn't be that upset with hearing it coming to Waxhaw either. That would be great. Either way, lets get a move on H&M, come to Charlotte!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
And my two cents is to NOT go to Northlake, that mall is ghetto - personal opinion.
Apple typically doesn't go to "ghetto" malls.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenaton06 View Post
apple typically doesn't go to "ghetto" malls.
please read below again. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaeve011 View Post
this is such bs!!! H&m comes to raleigh and greensboro before charlotte!! I'm so annoyed!! Anyway, i do know that h&m's problem is that they haven't found a good spot to put an h&m here and it has nothing to do with anything more than that. They have been looking for a long time here because the market is in high demand. Just a little insider info for you.

and my two cents is to not go to northlake, that mall is ghetto - personal opinion. i think a store in south park, or ideally uptown would be perfect. Hey and i wouldn't be that upset with hearing it coming to waxhaw either. That would be great. Either way, lets get a move on h&m, come to charlotte!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Since they choose Winton-Salem over Greensboro, I think it’s becoming apparent it’s a space issue with them expanding here. There just doesn’t seem to be an available space that’s large enough for the type of store they want to do. And I imagine that was the issue with Greensboro too. These stores in Raleigh and Winston-Salem are large, two level deals. Unless they build something from the ground up, I don’t see where they could put one of these in Charlotte until something huge vacates one of the malls. Maybe Borders ends up leaving Northlake? That's possible.
The Home Depot design center has left a relatively large empty space at Midtown (128,000 sq/ft to be exact). The H&M at Crabtree Valley in Raleigh has 21,000 sq/ft of space (20,000 sq/ft will be the size of the Winston location).

IMO, the bigger issue with Charlotte is that some retailers are torn as to where to build (Ballantyne, South Park, North Lake, Midtown, Concord Mills, or some other location altogether). In other NC markets, the "where to build" question is a bit easier to answer. Here in Charlotte, we have IKEA near UNCC, Bang & Olufsen in South End, West Elm in Midtown, Costco in Matthews and Tyvola Road etc etc etc. Other NC markets have two (if that) locations that most retailers gravitate to within city limits. As a result, retailers go to that one (or two) locations knowing that they've chosen the "right spot".

With that said, my guess is that H&M is torn between a mall or something a bit more urban (a choice that West Elm and Bang & Olufsen made). A H&M location in uptown would be a game changer for this mall oriented retail town.

This quote is a bit dated, but it gives us a clue as to what's going on with this retailer and Charlotte:
Quote:
"We still consider Charlotte a really attractive market," said Nicole Christie, H&M's spokeswoman. "Our first store in Raleigh is performing beyond expectations, so we know we'll do well in Charlotte whenever we do find the perfect place."
What's In Store: UPDATE: Hope for H&M in Charlotte? Not yet.

"The perfect place" huh? Sounds like another Saks Fifth Avenue (the retailer that waited so long that bigger names jumped on Charlotte first).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-28-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The Home Depot design center has left a relatively large empty space at Midtown (128,000 sq/ft to be exact). The H&M at Crabtree Valley in Raleigh has 21,000 sq/ft of space (20,000 sq/ft will be the size of the Winston location).

IMO, the bigger issue with Charlotte is that some retailers are torn as to where to build (Ballantyne, South Park, North Lake, Midtown, Concord Mills, or some other location altogether). In other NC markets, the "where to build" question is a bit easier to answer. Here in Charlotte, we have IKEA near UNCC, Bang & Olufsen in South End, West Elm in Midtown, Costco in Matthews and Tyvola Road etc etc etc. Other NC markets have two (if that) locations that most retailers gravitate to within city limits. As a result, retailers go to that one (or two) locations knowing that they've chosen the "right spot".

With that said, my guess is that H&M is torn between a mall or something a bit more urban (a choice that West Elm and Bang & Olufsen made). A H&M location in uptown would be a game changer for this mall oriented retail town.

This quote is a bit dated, but it gives us a clue as to what's going on with this retailer and Charlotte:

What's In Store: UPDATE: Hope for H&M in Charlotte? Not yet.

"The perfect place" huh? Sounds like another Saks Fifth Avenue (the retailer that waited so long that bigger names jumped on Charlotte first).
I agree with what you’ve said. I think given the economy, they’re only concentrating on safe locations for now, i.e. mall spots. Locating in Midtown or Uptown or some other standalone space is a gamble they probably don’t want to take. So their best bet is to find a large mall space that’s available. And when you look at Charlotte, there’s really nothing to offer. The old book store at South Park might have worked, but The Container Store scooped that up. It would have been nice if they could have partnered with Nordstrom Rack and came up with a place to put them both. Nordstrom Rack ended up in Carolina Pavilion, which to me seems like an odd spot for that store. It would have been cool if the owners of Blakney or Birkdale could have landed one or both of them. But one things certain, they are coming, believe that. I recall reading some article that said their goal is to become one of those retailers that’s in every single mall, a la, The Gap, Banana Republic. Soon it won’t even be a big deal to have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte