U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2007, 07:44 PM
MHW MHW started this thread

30 posts, read 66,057 times
Default Fort Mill neighborhoods?

Hi, I have posted within another thread about this, but thought I might get more responses if I posted separately.

We are relocating to Charlotte from Memphis for my husband's job. He will start work on May 7, but I will plan to stay here with the children until we get the house here sold and buy one in Charlotte.

DH will be working near the old Coliseum on W Tyvola Rd. Several people have told us that the Fort Mill area would be best for us.

Can anyone recommend some specific neighborhoods?

* We would like to spend $200 to $250, but could go higher if we had to.
* We need at least 4 bedrooms.
* We need at least enough yard space for a decent size swingset & patio furniture & a grill (so at least 1/4 acre).
* We need at least 2400 sq feet.
* Gold Hill elementary would be our first choice, Orchard Park or Springfield would be our second and third choices. (Our kids won't be in school for 3 years yet, so we aren't too concerned about the current enrollment freeze.)
* A new home or something that is reasonably new would be our first choice.
* A neighborhood pool and swim team would definitely be a plus.
* I would like a neighborhood with lots of young families (babies, preschoolers).
* I would like a neighborhood that has lots of activities and friendly people - playgroups, scrapbooking clubs, bunco nights, etc.
* I do not want to be in a neighborhood that is mostly rentals, or declining, etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any advice you can offer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 AM

33 posts, read 85,833 times
Sorry I don't really have any answers to your question; however, it seems as if we are in a similar situation, with similar age kids, looking in a similar area & price range. Maybe we could get together when we both get to the area. I don't know a sole. We have a 2 1/2 year old & an eight week old. We're moving there in June. My husband is there now looking for somewhere to live.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 AM

2,472 posts, read 5,679,200 times
I hope you have a realtor? (which...I am not one)

My children attend Gold Hill Elementary and I'll tell you...while it has been an excellent school...if I were you I would not get so wrapped up into a particular school within the Fort Mill School District (especially since you already have so many other wishes, wants and needs). I myself would not hesitate to send my children to any of the other schools.

Course some of your questions have already been answered on the other posts you have created (such as swim teams in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area are: Baxter YMCA, Leroy Springs Recreation Complex, and the Tega Cay Breakers).

You are not going to find any areas within Tega Cay or Fort Mill that will be declining....in the 3 years that we have been here...the homes have risen dramatically.

A good site you can use is www.allentate.com (you can put in your price range, your lot size, rooms wanted, etc.). If you do this I think you will see that most of the subdivisions that fit your criteria will be: Knightsbridge, Whitegrove/White Grove, Waterstone (might be another option?)...these would be resells in Fort Mill (but again while they will match alot of your wants and needs...they won't match them all). As far as new homes you might check out Spicewood (but I do not know the lot sizes), there are a few others out there but I have not heard great things about the builders. In Tega Cay you may want to check out Meadowview, Heron Harbor, Amberwoods (all part of Lakeshore)?

Anywho best of luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
Hi, I have posted within another thread about this, but thought I might get more responses if I posted separately.

We are relocating to Charlotte from Memphis for my husband's job. He will start work on May 7, but I will plan to stay here with the children until we get the house here sold and buy one in Charlotte.

DH will be working near the old Coliseum on W Tyvola Rd. Several people have told us that the Fort Mill area would be best for us.

* We need at least enough yard space for a decent size swingset & patio furniture & a grill (so at least 1/4 acre).
* Gold Hill elementary would be our first choice, Orchard Park or Springfield would be our second and third choices. (Our kids won't be in school for 3 years yet, so we aren't too concerned about the current enrollment freeze.)
* I would like a neighborhood with lots of young families (babies, preschoolers).
* I would like a neighborhood that has lots of activities and friendly people - playgroups, scrapbooking clubs, bunco nights, etc.
* I do not want to be in a neighborhood that is mostly rentals, or declining, etc.

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 04-16-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,655,603 times
Loves you read my mind.

I e-mailed her listings in those neighborhoods late last night.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amom View Post
Sorry I don't really have any answers to your question; however, it seems as if we are in a similar situation, with similar age kids, looking in a similar area & price range. Maybe we could get together when we both get to the area. I don't know a sole. We have a 2 1/2 year old & an eight week old. We're moving there in June. My husband is there now looking for somewhere to live.
I would LOVE to get together, if you aren't scared off by the fact that I have 2 year old triplets and a baby! So many people don't want to be my friend just based on that. They assume that I don't have time for friends, or that my crew must be wild! But it is not that way in reality at all. So if you don't mind me having a lot of kids, I would really like to meet you since I only know one person there, and she works a LOT of hours. My husband is starting his new job May 7th, and we will be moving once I get the house here sold.

Let me know what your husband finds!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Thank you so much! I did not have a realtor yet, but a really nice lady from this forum searched and found some recommendations and emailed them to me. So maybe I do have a realtor! It is great to hear confirmation that the neighborhoods she was recommending were on your list as well.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 22,954 times
Hello MWH. We are also interested in relocating to Charlotte, and have almost the exact same requirements as you for a house/neighborhood. However, I don't mind a bit more of a rural setting and a larger lot size (1+ acres). I'd definitely hook up with a realtor to help you in your search, someone that's familiar with the area well.

I had to respond to your post because I have 1 year old boy/girl twins. Triplets! That is awesome! I have found it hard to make new friends and keep old ones now that I have the babies as well. Sigh...

I'd love to touch base should I get the offer to move there from my current employer for relocation.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,655,603 times
If she is talking about me I'm a guy

Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM

474 posts, read 1,146,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post

Take a look at Walden Park. We close on our new house there on May 2. We have a 7 month old now and plan a few more in the future. 2 doors down from us a young couple with a newborn is building now and I've seen a few couples with young kids walking through the neighbhorhood when visiting. There's only about 25 houses built out so far, but will be 119 when finished. A 4 BR will be just beyond your price range, but not by much. It's very close to Riverview Elementary, which scores in the same range as other elementary schools you mentioned. It meets all of your criteria except for the pool and swim team. Since the neighborhood will be prety small it wasn't worth the expense for them to put in a pool. We're going to join the Baxter Y to swim. It's about 2 miles away. The one positive of not having a pool on-site is that HOA dues are only $150 / month.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 PM

425 posts, read 1,008,557 times
Default Moving with multiples

I noticed a few of you like me are moving with twins or triplets. I have contacted Charlottee area mothers of multiples for a built in support system and friends. They have been great. They have an online discussion group which has been helpful in searching preschools, doctors and neighborhoods.

I am not sure if I can post their URl but I will give it a try seen as they are a non profit. www.cmoms.net

FYI- We have four girls the middle two are twins. We bought in White Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte