Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times

Advertisements

I read another forum this place has Piri Piri and Peruvian cuisine and that it is excellent, so i just bought a gift certificate for there on Restaurant.com (thanks to the person who posted the discount code!).

Anyways, I'm really excited to go there and wanted to know if anyone else has been there and what things on the menu would you recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 PM

87 posts, read 285,746 times
Been there several times. The food is really good. We order the fried Plantains and have only had the rotisserie chicken sandwich. I want to try other things, but find myself not being able to resist the sandwich when I get there. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

58 posts, read 172,069 times
I LOVE Genaro's...their black beans are killer. And, of course, the chicken is the star!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
My family is Bolivian and the food is very similar to peruvian food. I would suggest anticuchos de corazon, lomo saltado or bistek a lo pobre. Those are the most tradition of all their plates. I doubt you could go wrong though, we plan on trying it once we are over on that side of town. Please give us review once you go.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks! I'm really surprised more people here have not tried it? We'll probably go on DHs next day off which I believe is Tuesday so I'll report back after that

Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 PM

140 posts, read 323,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
My family is Bolivian and the food is very similar to peruvian food. I would suggest anticuchos de corazon, lomo saltado or bistek a lo pobre. Those are the most tradition of all their plates. I doubt you could go wrong though, we plan on trying it once we are over on that side of town. Please give us review once you go.
I beg to differ, the anticuchos are horrible, I've tried them several times and definitely below real Peruvian anticuchos standards.
However most of the food is outstanding, agreeing that the chix is the star, best chicken in Charlotte hands down!!
The fries are ok, avoid the rice -both white and green- if possible and opt for a side salad instead.
They offer ceviche, although not on the menu, and not always available, ask what fish they are using and hopefully it's sea bass although the tilapia one is decent. The lomo saltado (and chicken saltado too) is good. Avoid the aji de gallina. The sandwiches are pretty good but again I can not state this enough the chicken is the true star.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
I beg to differ, the anticuchos are horrible, I've tried them several times and definitely below real Peruvian anticuchos standards.
However most of the food is outstanding, agreeing that the chix is the star, best chicken in Charlotte hands down!!
The fries are ok, avoid the rice -both white and green- if possible and opt for a side salad instead.
They offer ceviche, although not on the menu, and not always available, ask what fish they are using and hopefully it's sea bass although the tilapia one is decent. The lomo saltado (and chicken saltado too) is good. Avoid the aji de gallina. The sandwiches are pretty good but again I can not state this enough the chicken is the true star.
I thought I made it clear I had not ever been there. I was just mentioning which dishes I would try because they are the most traditional peruvian dishes.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Ok we went yesterday and it was very, very good. We totally pigged out and got two appetizers.

The calamari was good, but the shrimp stuffed avocado (Palla Rellena de Camarones) was outstanding! Big chunks of shrimp and red onion in a creamy sauce with a hint of cilantro poured over a split ripe avocado w/ a boiled egg on the side, topped w/ a kalamatta olive. Seriously awesome.

We got the dinner for two that came w/ half a chicken (best rotisserie chicken in Charlotte, I agree), a grilled ribeye and grilled pork topped w/ minced parsley and garlic (the ribeye was yummy, I was too full to even try the pork, it's in the fridge), two pieces of grilled chorizo (also yummy), and a piece of grilled blood sausage (never had it before, am not a fan).

This came with two dipping sauces, a creamy yellow one and a zingy green one that were both awesome. For sides we got the spicy beans and fried plantains. The plantains were my favorite.

I basically took about two bites of everything and there are two boxes full of food in the fridge. Lol. I would definitely recommend this place!

So there's my review

Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Ooh, it's one of those places where you get a boatload of food! I love blood sausage, how much was the meal?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ooh, it's one of those places where you get a boatload of food! I love blood sausage, how much was the meal?
For everything I listed plus two iced teas it was $45 + tip, but we had the $25 coupon I got for $2 so...$19.98 + tip. TON of food. I'm eating leftovers right now. Lol.

The blood sausage...the flavor was actually good, but it was softer (the consistency) than I thought it would be. DH thought it was awesome.

The meal for two that came with all the meat and your choice of two sides was $22.00, apps were $8.00 apiece (Everything we ordered was the most expensive things on the menu tho.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte