U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM

35,361 posts, read 42,333,840 times
I went out and checked my puny tomato plants this evening. One tiny green tomato, LOL!!! We waited too long to set them out this year, so I am NOT going to be having a bumper crop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,097,709 times
I've been really lucky with tomatoes. Last year, I had two cherry plants and could not keep up with fruit so I ended up giving the neighbors most of them. This year, I planted 3 - a Roma, a cherry, and what was labelled as a grape was really one of those huge beefsteak tomatoes! My experience is that all of the plants will bear one fruit right away and ripen, then there's a lull period where all of the flowers come in. Now they are all in fruit, thriving and ripening on the vine. The cherries are extraordinarily sweet. They get a ton of hot afternoon sun but I do keep them watered every other day. I am prepared to harvest a bumper crop and prepare my own tomato sauce to freeze. My herbs (Greek oregano and Spicy Basil) would go well with this homemade stuff!

My bell and banana peppers on the other hand are not doing too well. Whatever is eating those leaves (which are invisible to me) make affect how big the fruit would be! :-(

Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,612,204 times
Ani, you may still have your tomato sandwiches before I do - we'll see.

Bibit, ever since I've known you, you've been the Tomato Queen.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,612,204 times
Chess, you said, "You got me worried, so I looked it up & some places say not enough heat, some say too much heat, sun, water,..." I found he same info when I looked on line. I don't know what's accurate. I think I will call the NC State Ext. - good idea.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,673,156 times
I wouldn't worry. If they put out all of those baby tomatoes at the same time, the plant is putting energy into growing each tomato. They will ripen in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte