U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,223,787 times
Reputation: 1057

Advertisements

Hi,
Is there anyone out there who cooks homemade Indian/Pakistani food (preferable meat dishes also) that is willing to make some food on a weekly basis that I can pick up?

I can pick it up in the South Charlotte area (around Carmel Rd) to Airport area/ and South Blvd/Woodlawn.

Let me know if you can and cost!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,699 posts, read 14,158,001 times
Reputation: 13833
I'm interested in buying some homemade Indian food too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,568 posts, read 43,752,701 times
Reputation: 20246
Looks like this could be a business for someone. I would buy it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
615 posts, read 1,129,118 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Looks like this could be a business for someone. I would buy it, too.
Me too. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
 
4,227 posts, read 4,138,824 times
Reputation: 1529
Why don't you just order Indian to go? I do it all the time. There used to be a downtown Indian restaurant that did take aways only. It was called Curry in a Hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,223,787 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Why don't you just order Indian to go? I do it all the time. There used to be a downtown Indian restaurant that did take aways only. It was called Curry in a Hurry.
Restaurant style is a little different. Plus I was looking for a bulk like to eat for the week. I'm just having trouble cooking daily and find it very stressful to make.
I was hoping for some homemade, as it would be a bit healthier and maybe a little cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 PM
 
4,227 posts, read 4,138,824 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Restaurant style is a little different. Plus I was looking for a bulk like to eat for the week. I'm just having trouble cooking daily and find it very stressful to make.
I was hoping for some homemade, as it would be a bit healthier and maybe a little cheaper!
I cook Indian all the time. It is the only thing that I cook well. I will tell you a secret. I have a couple of great Indian cookbooks that I learned from. My favorite is "The Arto of Indian Cuisine" by Pranati Sen Gupta. It is time consuming and requires a basic knowledge of numerous spices. I make my curries in bulk. I make huge casseroles of vindaloo or other favorites and freeze what I don't eat at that time. It is better after sitting a while and the spices mix. I usually cook on Saturdays when I don't have lots to do. It is one of my habits. All curry is different and you can flavor it to your liking. If you want to take the easy route, buy some Patak indian mixes at the store or at an Indian grocery store. I also buy popadums and microwave them for one minute for a side dish with chutneys. My wife usually makes the desserts.It is a wonderful hobby. The difference in what I make and the restaurants is that I use no salt and instead of ghee, I use very little saffron oil. Of course I pull all fat and skin off of all meat. I just got back from eating my way through the Mediteranean for the past five weeks. I won't be cooking anything until I drop a few pounds I picked up. Got to tell you that it is good to get back for descent breakfasts with free refills of coffee. I ate at my usual breakfast the Cookhouse in Cornelius and it was so nice to be back there this morning.
When I lived in the U.K., Indian food was the cheapest food you could eat. I went out to dinner with some friends in Malaga, Spain last week and Indian is one of the most expensive meals you can eat there but worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,223,787 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I cook Indian all the time. It is the only thing that I cook well. I will tell you a secret. I have a couple of great Indian cookbooks that I learned from. My favorite is "The Arto of Indian Cuisine" by Pranati Sen Gupta. It is time consuming and requires a basic knowledge of numerous spices. I make my curries in bulk. I make huge casseroles of vindaloo or other favorites and freeze what I don't eat at that time. It is better after sitting a while and the spices mix. I usually cook on Saturdays when I don't have lots to do. It is one of my habits. All curry is different and you can flavor it to your liking. If you want to take the easy route, buy some Patak indian mixes at the store or at an Indian grocery store. I also buy popadums and microwave them for one minute for a side dish with chutneys. My wife usually makes the desserts.It is a wonderful hobby. The difference in what I make and the restaurants is that I use no salt and instead of ghee, I use very little saffron oil. Of course I pull all fat and skin off of all meat. I just got back from eating my way through the Mediteranean for the past five weeks. I won't be cooking anything until I drop a few pounds I picked up. Got to tell you that it is good to get back for descent breakfasts with free refills of coffee. I ate at my usual breakfast the Cookhouse in Cornelius and it was so nice to be back there this morning.
When I lived in the U.K., Indian food was the cheapest food you could eat. I went out to dinner with some friends in Malaga, Spain last week and Indian is one of the most expensive meals you can eat there but worth every penny.
I've been cooking for 3 years now since I've been married and have used some great cookbooks (Maddhur Jaffrey and she's so specific and detailed which I like), but it's still a terrible experience lol.
As you mentioned it's a great hobby, but this is something I need to do daily and it's very time consuming. (Well the meat dishes are time consuming, it can take 2-3 hours depending on the meat). The vegetables are easier and quicker but I just suck at it. It's stressful and so depressing when you put so much effort and it comes out bad lol!

But I'll check out that book you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,766 posts, read 7,835,250 times
Reputation: 6306
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I cook Indian all the time. It is the only thing that I cook well. I will tell you a secret. I have a couple of great Indian cookbooks that I learned from. My favorite is "The Arto of Indian Cuisine" by Pranati Sen Gupta. It is time consuming and requires a basic knowledge of numerous spices. I make my curries in bulk. I make huge casseroles of vindaloo or other favorites and freeze what I don't eat at that time. It is better after sitting a while and the spices mix. I usually cook on Saturdays when I don't have lots to do. It is one of my habits. All curry is different and you can flavor it to your liking. If you want to take the easy route, buy some Patak indian mixes at the store or at an Indian grocery store. I also buy popadums and microwave them for one minute for a side dish with chutneys. My wife usually makes the desserts.It is a wonderful hobby. The difference in what I make and the restaurants is that I use no salt and instead of ghee, I use very little saffron oil. Of course I pull all fat and skin off of all meat. I just got back from eating my way through the Mediteranean for the past five weeks. I won't be cooking anything until I drop a few pounds I picked up. Got to tell you that it is good to get back for descent breakfasts with free refills of coffee. I ate at my usual breakfast the Cookhouse in Cornelius and it was so nice to be back there this morning.
When I lived in the U.K., Indian food was the cheapest food you could eat. I went out to dinner with some friends in Malaga, Spain last week and Indian is one of the most expensive meals you can eat there but worth every penny.

Got a recipe for Mutter Paneer you want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,696 posts, read 4,219,193 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Hi,
Is there anyone out there who cooks homemade Indian/Pakistani food (preferable meat dishes also) that is willing to make some food on a weekly basis that I can pick up?

I can pick it up in the South Charlotte area (around Carmel Rd) to Airport area/ and South Blvd/Woodlawn.

Let me know if you can and cost!

Thanks!
You may want to try this place below. Its right beside the new K&W in the University area, off Mallard Creek Road right at I-85. I'm no expert on Indian food, but I've been for lunch and thought it was good. They do catering, so I'm sure they can make what you want, in addition to what's on their menu. And their website says they will deliver to your home (for catering).

Rajbhog
9539 Pinnacle Drive #100
Charlotte,NC,28262
704 909-7783
Website: Rajbhog Foods Inc. Pioneer and leading Manufacturer of Indian Sweets Snacks Ice Creams and Frozen Foods in USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top