Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 PM

27 posts, read 97,717 times

Advertisements

try Don Juan's Mexican Restaurant behind Jimmie's Restaurant

they have breakfast, lunch, dinner and kid options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
They have a good score, 99.5.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,643 times
I was initially impressed by the Health Dept. score of 99.5, but that was as far as being impressed went. The menu is limited and lacks any real imagination. It's almost as if the proprietor is pulling one over on the locals who might not be as familiar with Mexican cuisine as someone from, say, Southern California (like myself).

Let's start with the tortilla chips. It is emptied from a cellophane wrapper and poured into a warmer. Folks, N.C. is being deprived of real Mexican, where the corn tortillas are made from scratch on the premises and deep fried. Then these tortilla chip impostors are accompanied with a bland house "salsa" if that's what you want to call it. It's more like veggie trimmings put through a blender.

The serving sizes of the en trees are minuscule, the beans are a mush with no real seasoning. Perhaps it's good that they put just a dab on the plate next to the bland rice, I don't think I would have wanted anymore.

At every Mexican restaurant that I have been to, flour or corn tortillas are provided at no extra charge. Here, I was unpleasantly surprised to see an extra charge on my bill, especially considering that my meal was overpriced to begin with. Oh, yes, my meal was a steak something-or-other, sliced as thinly as frugality would allow.

I don't plan on a return visit, you would be better off going to Taco Bell.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee777 View Post
I was initially impressed by the Health Dept. score of 99.5, but that was as far as being impressed went. The menu is limited and lacks any real imagination. It's almost as if the proprietor is pulling one over on the locals who might not be as familiar with Mexican cuisine as someone from, say, Southern California (like myself).

Let's start with the tortilla chips. It is emptied from a cellophane wrapper and poured into a warmer. Folks, N.C. is being deprived of real Mexican, where the corn tortillas are made from scratch on the premises and deep fried. Then these tortilla chip impostors are accompanied with a bland house "salsa" if that's what you want to call it. It's more like veggie trimmings put through a blender.

The serving sizes of the en trees are minuscule, the beans are a mush with no real seasoning. Perhaps it's good that they put just a dab on the plate next to the bland rice, I don't think I would have wanted anymore.

At every Mexican restaurant that I have been to, flour or corn tortillas are provided at no extra charge. Here, I was unpleasantly surprised to see an extra charge on my bill, especially considering that my meal was overpriced to begin with. Oh, yes, my meal was a steak something-or-other, sliced as thinly as frugality would allow.

I don't plan on a return visit, you would be better off going to Taco Bell.
arrgh!! I am still planning on trying this place but agree with you that Charlotte can use some better TexMex or Mexican places. The only place I have really liked is Zapatas but the one in Ballantyne got a really bad score so my wife doesn't want to go there anymore. I really don't know why everyone talks up La Paz and other places, I haven't liked them.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
I've heard that La Unica has really good Mexican food. You should try them. There is one in Indian Trail and one in Monroe, they are not affiliated, but have the same name. Interestingly enough, I've heard that these two non-affiliated places w/ the same name have awesome Mexican.

No liquor at the IT location

Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,438 times
I swear by Monterrey's. They have the best taco's de asada!!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 AM

32 posts, read 77,012 times
Monterrey's for me as well - try the chile poblanos or if you eat meat, mole chicken...the restaurant at Windsor square has the greatest staff -say hi to them for me...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:47 AM

416 posts, read 926,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I've heard that La Unica has really good Mexican food. You should try them. There is one in Indian Trail and one in Monroe, they are not affiliated, but have the same name. Interestingly enough, I've heard that these two non-affiliated places w/ the same name have awesome Mexican.

No liquor at the IT location
I could not agree with you MORE! Although they are both good,we are partial to the one in Monroe (even though it's a drive). You want good Mexican food for a small , small cost THIS is your place.
The food quality and the amount of food you get puts other "Mexican" places to shame. Oh and ice cold Coronas in the Monroe location!

We tried this place in Mint Hill when they first opened about 6 weeks ago, we have not been back, or plan on it. The menu was kind of like ordering from a "taco cart" (i.e. limited) except the tacos were more expensive and not as good IMO.

If you want to scale my taste for Mexican food, Monterrey is good but once you have tried La Unica there is NO comparison. I think Zapata's had to be THE worst we tried. Just start us off with a bowl of water with a few tomatoes thrown in to dip our stale store bought chips in. I won't even get into the rest of the meal.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 PM

26 posts, read 57,496 times
The Azteca Restaurant at South Blvd/Tyvola Blvd is the closest to authentic I have found, and I just moved here from San Diego

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM

144 posts, read 403,872 times
Two people that I know ate there and were not impressed at all. They went on different occasions and both said the meat tasted like BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte