U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 43,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have really enjoyed all of the valuable information in these threads about the Charlotte area. I was wondering if anybody could give me the scoop on Commercial Construction in the area? I'm looking for an Estimator, PM or Superintendent position. How is the job market for these positions? Any info would be great. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,133,672 times
I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks, but, upon my return, my son has informed me that the unemployment rate here in Charlotte is approaching 15%. I also know that before I left town, my next door neighbour who has a construction company has not worked steadily in over 6 months. He is also a framing carpenter and a custom carpenter & brick layer, so, his skills are varied. He has resorted to car repairs to try to support his family.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,870,795 times
My husband is in the same industry, and has similar experience as a PM and estimator in both residential and commercial construction. He lost his job in January and has not had much luck finding any jobs. It's even been two months since his last interview. I wish I could be more positive, but it seems like the construction industry is still suffering.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Family View Post
Hi, I have really enjoyed all of the valuable information in these threads about the Charlotte area. I was wondering if anybody could give me the scoop on Commercial Construction in the area? I'm looking for an Estimator, PM or Superintendent position. How is the job market for these positions? Any info would be great. Thank you very much!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
I have never seen it this slow in the 15+ years I've been in the construction industry.

You'd always have slow times (for a wk or two), but not like this.

Many companies I deal with have layed off a bunch of people or have mandatory furloughs throughout the year.

I don't see things improving yet.

just my honest .02

Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
One neighbor is laid off from the engineering company where he worked - a large, well-known national company that had a large office here (wh/ has been closed). He did estimating as part of his job - huge commercial projects (malls, university buildings, etc). He has been out of work since November, when they closed the office.

Another neighbor has had 30 years in construction, doing commerical interior work (finish carpentry, sheetrock, etc). He has been out of work since last October. He has not been able to pick up even small jobs. He says there are vast numbers of construction workers out of jobs all over this region. His wife is employed here, so they don't have plans to leave the area, but he said many people are trying to find work elsewhere, so they can make the move this summer to get their kids started in school in a new location this Fall. He said from what he is hearing, people are saying they are finding it nearly impossible to find work anywhere. He said some are talking about the NW - Washington and Oregon, but I believe he said most trades are union there, so I am not sure how that affects things.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 37,158 times
Smile looking for brick layer in charlotte or surrounding area

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks, but, upon my return, my son has informed me that the unemployment rate here in Charlotte is approaching 15%. I also know that before I left town, my next door neighbour who has a construction company has not worked steadily in over 6 months. He is also a framing carpenter and a custom carpenter & brick layer, so, his skills are varied. He has resorted to car repairs to try to support his family.
anifani821
We are looking for a brick layer and also a carpenter.
If you are interested please respond to rsjllc@gmail.com
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte