Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 PM

34 posts, read 113,265 times

Advertisements

I'm having a similar problem. The strawberries are being eaten through the stem (not just chunks of the berry, but the entire berry down to the stem). Does this indicate slugs? If it is slugs, is there a way to get rid of them without using pesticides? I want to have organic strawberries Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,827,013 times
I had to bring the pot back out since it needed quite an amount of sun, plus the branches started to sprout and have taken root on the ground. Went to Lowes and bought bird netting and wrapped that loosely around the plant supported by stakes. The bird netting is big so you would have to cut a small piece. I also spread some slug/snail killer around the base of the plant. Since then, I've been able to "harvest" the strawberries. I think it was a combination of birds and slugs eating the fruit.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 PM

165 posts, read 556,974 times
I had wild strawberries growing in the yard and then suddenly they were gone. A short while later I found two snakes living in the garage. Someone told me that snakes go after strawberries. Not sure if it's true but just an idea.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
Cool Mite?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
I had wild strawberries growing in the yard and then suddenly they were gone. A short while later I found two snakes living in the garage. Someone told me that snakes go after strawberries. Not sure if it's true but just an idea.
Funny you mentioned this...just the other day when I was checking on the strawberries, a small garden snake slithered out of the ground from near the pot. I think this is the first and last time I'm ever going to grow strawberries. It's more trouble than it's worth!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:03 PM

165 posts, read 556,974 times
Yeah..........anything that attracts snakes is not worth it for me. I had black snakes. Everyone says they are good but not when they are mating in your garage.... They ate all my strawberries and lived in my garage.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,738 times
Default Strawberry issues

I've had this same problem but I have a whole row of 15 and haven't yet been able to eat any!!!!!!! I was thinking birds because right when they turn a little color then they are gone. I've seen this happen in a single day. Then I thought maybe ants. I've seen little black ants - not a lot. I've seen gouges and ants on the gouges....Hmmmmmmmmm. I never thougth of slugs. I've seen a little trail but nothing that would say theres a lot and nothing else in my garden is eaten. I'm mad too. How much was the garden net? I didn't have this problem last year.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Net is like $6 for a package, enough to wrap all your kids and grandkids! It should be at the back where the fencing stuff is at Lowes, like where they have stuff to keep out deer.

I think I'll do the same for my tomatoes...waited a long time for the big ones to start turning red, and lo and behold, as I picked one, there's a big hole in it! I brought it in and washed it (since I've been dusting them with Sevin lately) to see if it had wormies inside...Nada! Must be the birds! I am so pissed that I have to wrap, de-slug, de-worm, Sevin dust everything this year. Like you, I did not have this problem last year. And oh, those japanese beetles all but demolished my roses and know their grubs have started eating my lawn. So more stuff on the ground...it never ends. Never had to do so much anti-whatever things to my yard up north. I'm miserable over this.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,497,633 times
Yeah, snakes eat strawberries. When we were little we always used to find little garter snakes in the wild strawberry patches.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM

367 posts, read 1,024,286 times
Ok, you got me....I have been eating your strawberries...yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte