U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM

454 posts, read 1,599,828 times

Advertisements

The thread going about gun safety and the person who asked about gun ownership in NC reminded me of something---I had a friend from another state who's considering moving here and nervous about crime (not HERE, just starting to become worried about crime and getting interested in taking a concealed weapons course and getting a permit...and she'll be doing it here since she is moving here). I actually have NO CLUE what the answer to her question is, and I don't know how to find out other than tell her to call the sheriff's department of the county she ends up moving to and asking or asking in the class? NO clue.

She asked me what their background check and criteria for someone getting a permit for concealed carry (after taking a safety course is) versus being denied a permit. She is worried about a prescription medication (I don't know what it is, she did not specify) causing her to get denied a permit. It's a legal prescription from her doctor so it's part of her medical records and she asked me if they obtain medical records. i suspect but am not sure, that my friend might be worried about being on an antidpressant. I have no idea though, it could be something for pain or seizures, who knows...

This is what I know--my husband does not think they actually obtain your medical records or even try to- he thinks they perform a criminal background check and that's it. Obviously- a record- or if you're a felon- no go.

I only know 2 other things for sure. In my husband's case in Cabarrus, he was not on any meds anyway so it would not have mattered, and the sheriff's department did a background check and called ME, asking specifically to speak to his spouse, and had a pretty long chat with me telling me he applied for a gun permit, his record is squeaky clean, is there any reason you feel he should not have this permit? Does he have a temper? Is he in a dispute with anyone or worried about anything? etc. I told them no and everything's good...

His friend in Charlotte, the sheriff's department there never called his wife or anyone to ask about him as a character witness...and I know for a fact this guy was on an antidepressant for depression. His wife did not want him to have the gun and probably would have said so.

Both of them got their permits, is all I know...there WAS a several week waiting period...but they had no problems. It got me to wondering---do they check what medications someone might be on? What about people who use any of the various controlled substances- xanax or pain medication or anything that can affect your mind by making you less alert etc? What about someone who has a clean record but has been diagnosed as having something- bipolar, or I don't know, depression, anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD,any kind of mental thing? I have no idea what to tell my friend but it got me to thinking about it and it actually does not seem like a bad idea to know what someone who's going to be packing might be using....then again, where do you stop? They could use illegal drugs or illegally obtained prescription drugs or drink a lot...or they could rarely drink but become volatile when they do...etc..how in the world can they regulate this anyway???

Do they address this in the classes for concealed carry or do I need to tell her to refer to the sheriff's dept of the county she's wondering about? Which BTW, all you have to be to buy a shotgun or rifle is 18 correct? They do not even check you for these do they aside from a waiting period maybe? I have no clue, don't have a gun in my name, the ones in this house are my husband's, and they're safely kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM

873 posts, read 827,289 times
Charlotte - Mecklenburg can be a long drawn out affair, and I suspect it's mostly bureaucratic. I'd suggest going to the Char - Meck Sheriff's Dept. site and check out the info there and then call or get in touch with Dan Starks (try going through Hyatt's Gun Shop if you need contact info (but don't buy anything from them!!)). Even if you don't take the Concealed Carry Class that Dan gives, he's a wealth of information. In my opinion (and that's all it is) your friend won't have any problems based on the info you've provided.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,136,245 times
If it weren't for my being such a military person, I probably wouldn't even have a gun. A baseball bat properly used is probably just as good. After many years of military service, I am quite proficient and using a weapon comes pretty natural and not a personal safety obsticle.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,950,664 times
There is no medical background check. The concealed review consists of a criminal check only.

To answer the question of "how do they regulate folks who may misbehave with guns" and "where does it stop" ...well, therein lies nearly the center of the gun debate. Most folks who don't want guns in the hands of citizens *typically* don't want them there because they're worried what those citizens could conceivably do--namely, illegal activities. Even though we have laws that say "don't shoot people or you'll get into trouble," people still insist on taking guns away from everyone for fear that everyone is a lunatic hell-bent on shooting up the place. So instead of enforcing the laws we have in place, we try to disarm everyone, which we all know will only disarm the "good guys." My point is, people know that our laws are panty-waist and you can get out of a stiff punishment without even trying...so why think twice about using a gun in an improper manner??? There's no repercussions to it...or so it seems. It's like all the speeding ticket debates we have on this forum. People openly and blatantly speed because they know the odds of them getting caught and penalized are slim to none...and if they do, they know the odds of them getting out of the ticket are extremely high.

So back to the "how do you regulate the people" topic...
The people *must* have at least some shred of responsibility in them...otherwise, we become nothing more than a society of robots with law books that act like computer code that tell us what we can and can't do, when we can and can't do it, and how we should and shouldn't do it. If someone desires to own a firearm, they have a responsibility to know *at least* the basics of gun ownership: safety, how to shoot, the general laws governing firearms, AND the consequences of breaking those laws. If any of that doesn't jive, it is up to them to back away from ownership. I'll take my rose-colored glasses off for a second and admit that this hardly happens in the situations that it should...and the end result is a bad image for guns after some nutjob goes crazy in a school or church. Then instead of figuring out what went wrong with that idiot, the attention focuses on how we can tighten the gun belt one more notch, which only ends up affecting those responsible owners who don't want any trouble with the law and just want to own, collect, and shoot firearms.

So let me be clear on what I'm saying...
It ultimately boils down to the owner knowing right from wrong. In the case of someone who's medicated to the point of possibly doing something very stupid with a gun, they should know not to own or use a firearm. It is not the government's place to know the medical history and possibilities of every single 290+ million of us. It's unfeasible, not to mention an invasion of privacy. Personal responsibility is relied upon here...and all too often is not held accountable...so the system fails.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,873 times
I am a Concealed Carry Instructor in a different county. In the application package there is a form called "Release of Physical and Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Confidential Court Records for Concealed Handgun Permit." You have to fill it out, sign it and have it Notarized. So there is a Medical check of sorts.

As for the Rifle and Shotgun question, there is no waiting period. You will fill out a 4473 at the gunshop and they call the FBI to do a NICS check. Basically an instant background check.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,889,924 times
Welcome to C-D cmw.....from another CSF'er.

For anyone else out there, CMW knows his stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte