Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
odu odu started this thread

40 posts, read 117,106 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I own a condo uptown and am looking to rent or sell it. Does anybody know how the uptown condo market is going with either rentals or sells? I'm sure it's not great, but I'm wondering how bad it really is. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
Odu, the market is terrible for buying. It's so bad that some of the new properties are now renting because they can't sell. I would imagine that uptown is not doing great for renters, but I don't have any stats.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
Here's some information from Charlotte Observer:
Home sales in Charlotte area down sharply | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/774102.html?q=condo - broken link)
Fat City Lofts will become rentals | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/788001.html?q=condo - broken link)
Empty condos give schools new dorms | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/753422.html?q=condo - broken link)
High-rise dreams hit low point | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/753318.html?q=condo - broken link)

Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odu View Post
Hello,

I own a condo uptown and am looking to rent or sell it. Does anybody know how the uptown condo market is going with either rentals or sells? I'm sure it's not great, but I'm wondering how bad it really is. Thanks.
Things are bleak if you are a seller. Some on the forum beg to differ and think the uptown market is "healthy" right now.....

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/06/29/story1.html?b=1246248000^1851202

Don't get me started on commercial properties around the county. EVERYWHERE I go, I see "for lease" or "for sale" signs....

Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM

33 posts, read 88,127 times
I have some friends looking for a 3br condo/apt uptown for August 1st. When helping them out, I've found that the rental/lease rates are still as high as ever and the management companies are not open to negotiate. I was surprised at this especially when every type of unit is available in pretty much any complex. There seems to be a surplus but you can't tell it by the prices when shopping.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks folks. I do believe the uptown condo market is horrible. I think my unit is worth about 10% less than I paid for it not even a year ago. Hopefully the condo market will turn around in the not too distant future. The new building supply has slown down with most projects converted to rentals. For that reason I personally have found rentals to be cheap when trying to determine rental comps. M&M2Clt, have you checked Craigslist? You should be able to negotiate with an owner moreso than a property management company. I can't even rent my place out for near what my expenses are. I guess I'll just have to stay put and ride it out.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM

13 posts, read 21,115 times
Default Have you tried sublet.com?

I apologize, I meant to put sublet.com. I found many responses, but I made sure their credit rating was good. I had excellent responses. Best Wishes.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
People that paid the market price on homes or condos as little as a year ago are learning the market has taken a nose dive and its inposible to sell them now and break even much less make money. I know a gut that paid 350k for a so called reduced price home 18 months ago. Market value today is only 270k and theres nothing he can do about it.NOTHING

Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM

It thoroughly sucks. I had told myself I would never buy again but I thought the uptown condo was a good investment so I bought. Now I regret it. I know it will come around, but I hate feeling "stuck" in a home. Fortunately, I'm not in a position where I have to move, so I guess I'll have to just ride it out. It will just take me a few years to break even again, when I thought it would take me just a few years to make a nice profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte