U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM

45,132 posts, read 57,055,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I LOVE this drive. It's especially beautiful late at night when there's not much traffic, and the "land stars" stretch out in the valley as far as you can see... Really an experience.
I'm with you - it's absolutely beautiful That particular view is very special to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,748,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
Well, I think that stretch of I-77 is more intimidating, in a way. The way the road is cut into the side of the mountain with the valley straight down below you.....

That stretch is my mountain version of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. White knuckled, "get me through this f**kin' thing in one piece" type of drive but man what a view.

Complete with ear pops.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,748,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Chicago, so glad that you made it!! As a fellow mountain-hater, I can certainly appreciate your angst.

A mountain hater?? Angst towards a mountain? I love flat lands as much as anyone but a big ol' mountain breaks up the monotony. Besides, when I lived in Jersey they coulda used a big ol' mountain to block the views to Camden...Newark...Irvington...

Hell, they could've used a mountain to DROP on Camden...Newark...Irvington...

Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 AM

32 posts, read 48,291 times
I love driving the NC mountains for the pure beauty and thought nothing could be better ... last summer went to CO for the first time and took the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. Stunning scenery but now I know what breathtaking means... looking down 12,000+ feet with no guardrail and what seems to be 4 inches of space between the road and the drop is .... breathtaking....

Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,929,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
A mountain hater?? Angst towards a mountain? I love flat lands as much as anyone but a big ol' mountain breaks up the monotony. Besides, when I lived in Jersey they coulda used a big ol' mountain to block the views to Camden...Newark...Irvington...

Hell, they could've used a mountain to DROP on Camden...Newark...Irvington...
Nah...monotony is good...anyway, I was at a place where 1/2 of a massive mountain actually DID fall......and killed thousands of people. It was at the Earthquake Memorial park in Sichuan, China. (see my photos on FB)

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 AM

332 posts, read 915,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDGandhi View Post
I love driving the NC mountains for the pure beauty and thought nothing could be better ... last summer went to CO for the first time and took the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. Stunning scenery but now I know what breathtaking means... looking down 12,000+ feet with no guardrail and what seems to be 4 inches of space between the road and the drop is .... breathtaking....
See, that would terrify me. For some reason, other people's mountains scare the poop out of me drive-wise. My NC mountains, however, I would rather drive than anywhere else in the world. I hate driving long stretches of straight... it's soooo boring that I just drift off, catch myself speeding, etc. Just took a relaxing journey through Maggie, Cherokee up to Pigeon Forge... pretty mountains... and a fairly safe drive.

I don't mean to be offensive to anyone else but the only time I don't enjoy driving the mountains is when I'm crammed in between people who are first timers... As was mentioned, they tend to slam on the brakes or ride the brakes and that's tricky when it's happening all around you. The constant fluctuation in speed.

Worse still is at night with the high beams... ugh. Curvy roads means you can be heading dead on toward someone and straight up blind them with the lights. Rain/snow are pretty bad too.

My tip to first time drivers... going down a mountain... put your car in a lower gear, that's what they are for... it will slow you down and prevent all but the occasional brake slam. Also, don't brake during curves, brake before the curves... you'll feel much more in control of your car... at least in my experience.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 AM

4,282 posts, read 7,149,428 times
I came down I-79 yesterday from Erie, PA - first time in years.
I had forgotten what a beautiful road that is through WV, and a 70 mph speed limit to boot.

Makes our I-77 seem very tame by comparison.

Take the shortcut via Hwy19 (saving miles and cutting out Charleston WV) and see the New River Gorge Bridge.

From 1977 to 2004 it was the highest vehicular bridge in the world.
Only the le Viaduc de Millau (France, 2004) is taller.

New River Gorge Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millau Viaduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 AM

615 posts, read 1,129,866 times
Default New River Gorge

That is fantastic! Must put it on my list of bridges to see.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 AM

45,132 posts, read 57,055,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I came down I-79 yesterday from Erie, PA - first time in years.
I had forgotten what a beautiful road that is through WV, and a 70 mph speed limit to boot.

Makes our I-77 seem very tame by comparison.

Take the shortcut via Hwy19 (saving miles and cutting out Charleston WV) and see the New River Gorge Bridge.

From 1977 to 2004 it was the highest vehicular bridge in the world.

New River Gorge Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millau Viaduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is indeed a beautiful bridge - from up top and from below on the river when you are rafting

Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,697,083 times
Quote:
But tain't near as purty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte