U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
We're doing Ribeyes on the grill.
Ohhhhhhh . . . that sounds delicious. What side dishes? You could just fix a salad and be fine with that.

Still no inspiration on dessert. Y'all need to help me out - time is a-flyin'!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,248,968 times
Dessert: Strawberry Cinnamon Chiffon Cake
I used to make this recipe every summer, for either the 4th or my dad's birthday in July; it was always a big hit. Been a while since I've made it but dug through the recipe box to locate it....and luckily once I had the correct name I was able to find the exact recipe online....here
Cooks.com - Recipe - Cinnamon Chiffon Strawberry Tunnel Cake

Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Make an ice cream pie!

Select your favorite ice cream, let it soften enough so you can work with it, and then fill it into a pie crust. You can put toppings on top if you like. Freeze for several hours or overnight, and voila! Dessert is ready.

Friends of ours invited us over for a cookout, and I'm bringing the dessert. They have a 10 year old son, so I'm going to make strawberry ice cream pie topped w/fresh strawberries - his favorite.
Now that sounds easy enuff and I could put blueberries and strawberries on it to make it look festive. Who wouldn't like ice cream pie????

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You could make strawberry-blueberry shortcake? Red, white, and blue!
Yes, I could do strawberry/blueberry shortcake. I have a good recipe for old fashioned shortcake (the way my great grandma made it). It is very high in calories and fat - lots of butter and sugar, LOL!!!!! (but it is surely GOOD!!!)

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,852,953 times
Yup! It is quick, easy, and inexpensive. A real crowd-pleaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now that sounds easy enuff and I could put blueberries and strawberries on it to make it look festive. Who wouldn't like ice cream pie????

Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,197,552 times
chef ani.....I can't believe I found this, but way back in college some friends had a party and half way through, a bunch of people picked up flower pots that were scattered throughout the room and started eating the dirt! turned out it was a planned hoax, the flower pot 'dirt' was actually an oreo dirt dessert recipe. I found one online, could be a fun idea/prank:

Dirt Dessert Recipe - Pudding Dirt Cups - Oreo Dirt Dessert - Dirt Pudding Recipes

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Dessert: Strawberry Cinnamon Chiffon Cake
I used to make this recipe every summer, for either the 4th or my dad's birthday in July; it was always a big hit. Been a while since I've made it but dug through the recipe box to locate it....and luckily once I had the correct name I was able to find the exact recipe online....here
Cooks.com - Recipe - Cinnamon Chiffon Strawberry Tunnel Cake
Okay - this is really different. I am gonna print off the recipe and see what it takes to put it togther. Thank you so much, Joan, for taking the time to share! I know my family loves ice cream pie and shortcake (great suggestions!) and I would LOVE the Pavlova that SMClarke suggested . . . but this is something different and I kinda like to have a "surprise" for everyone.

Really appreciate your sharing this recipe!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
chef ani.....I can't believe I found this, but way back in college some friends had a party and half way through, a bunch of people picked up flower pots that were scattered throughout the room and started eating the dirt! turned out it was a planned hoax, the flower pot 'dirt' was actually an oreo dirt dessert recipe. I found one online, could be a fun idea/prank:

Dirt Dessert Recipe - Pudding Dirt Cups - Oreo Dirt Dessert - Dirt Pudding Recipes
Awwww - how neat! This looks like fun! LOL!!! I am gonna be having a get together for son and his fiancee later this summer, and I think this would be so much fun!!!

Eman - you continually amaze me! Thank you so much for sharing this great idea. May not use it this time . . . but I am definitely gonna print it off as this would make a very witty ending to a meal!

I am thinking I could add more than gummy worms - maybe do some kind of flowers . . . this could be a very creative process. I am gonna play w/ that recipe and see what I can create. That would be easy to add fruit to (w/ the pudding), also.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM

182 posts, read 379,158 times
Ani, I will bbq ribs for sure. Everything homemade, dry rub, bbq sauce and 5-6 hours of top secret southern applied heat will create an aroma that makes one proud to be an American. As the ribs begin to fall off the bone, my neighbors will magically come out of their homes and visit me. I might have to hire security again this year...

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
Ani, I will bbq ribs for sure. Everything homemade, dry rub, bbq sauce and 5-6 hours of top secret southern applied heat will create an aroma that makes one proud to be an American. As the ribs begin to fall off the bone, my neighbors will magically come out of their homes and visit me. I might have to hire security again this year...
Dern, and I was planning to show up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or