U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 11,383 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Waxhaw this month from the Boston area and my son will be starting kindergarten at Waxhaw Elementary in August. I am looking for feedback from anyone on the school?
Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,664 times
Here's the website for
Waxhaw Elementary School:
Waxhaw Elementary

I haven't had a student at Waxhaw in a long time, but my two oldest children attended Waxhaw (before the housing boom and all the new schools were built). Additionally, my mom taught school there before she retired. In browsing the staff list on the website, I still see some familiar names, and quality teachers. I always enjoyed that Waxhaw Elementary seemed a part of the Town of Waxhaw. There was a lot of civic pride in the community - the school adjoins the property of:

the Museum of the Waxhaws amphitheater
(http://museumofthewaxhaws.com/welcome.html (broken link))

and the athletic fields for the local athletic association
(https://www.waxhawpta.com/local_Links.html).

Another interesting connection is that the JAARS Center kids attend Waxhaw Elementary. Volunteers from their community always came with experiences from living abroad and in jungle settings. (http://www.jaars.org/whoweare/history (broken link)).

Waxhaw Elementary draws from a more diverse population than some of the newer schools. There will be more natives, more rural students, more middle-income and blue collar families in this school, than some of the newest schools, but I actually liked that. I'm sure you can check out statistics on one of the school-ranking websites, but I thought I'd give you my perspective.

As I said, I haven't been involved with Waxhaw Elementary in a while, so defintely speak to someone whose students are currently attending there. You might find some good feedback on the UnionCountyMommies.com forum. More moms from the area on there.

Good luck with your new home!

Last edited by marvinnative; 07-02-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Waxhaw is a good school in it's second year with a new Principal. The last Principal retired.

Some recent figures for you:

Percentage of those students scoring at Level III & IV at end of year testing:

READING:

Grade 3: System average: 68.3
Waxhaw average: 68.6
Grade 4: System average: 72.6
Waxhaw average: 65.0
Grade 5: System average: 71.5
Waxhaw average: 67.7

MATH:

Grade 3: System: 84.5
Waxhaw: 87.7
Grade 4: System: 86.2
Waxhaw: 81.4
Grade 5: System: 86.4
Waxhaw: 76.3

All students were subject to retest if they didn't score level III or IV. Waxhaw had a higher than average pass rate on the retest. I think it was 77% vs. 71% for the system.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 11,383 times
Thanks for all the great info. We are really looking forward to getting involved in the community and schools. My older daughters (grade 6th and 7th) will be attending the new Cuthbertson Middle School, so we excited for that also. I'm hoping the children wil be friendly towards them, as it is always difficult for any child to start a new middle school, especiall one in another state. Everyone keeps telling me that "children adjust" but as a mom, I'm still nervous for them.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:46 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,669,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa0721 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. We are really looking forward to getting involved in the community and schools. My older daughters (grade 6th and 7th) will be attending the new Cuthbertson Middle School, so we excited for that also. I'm hoping the children wil be friendly towards them, as it is always difficult for any child to start a new middle school, especiall one in another state. Everyone keeps telling me that "children adjust" but as a mom, I'm still nervous for them.
lisa0721 - Most of the students of the schools in this area have come from out of state. The western side of Union County tends to have very high concentrations of newcomers, so your daughters' experiences will tend to be the "norm" and not the exception. You and they have nothing to worry about!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
lisa0721 - Most of the students of the schools in this area have come from out of state. The western side of Union County tends to have very high concentrations of newcomers, so your daughters' experiences will tend to be the "norm" and not the exception. You and they have nothing to worry about!

Add to this that Cuthbertson is a new middle and high, therefore many of the students will be new to each other. They are coming from three different middles and highs to form the new student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or