Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM

403 posts, read 534,936 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a 21 yr old woman who is moving to the charlotte area to attend CPCC
in August. I'll be living with my mother who already lives in charlotte & her apartment lease will be up in August (mallard creek area) She was laid off from her job last month & now receives unemployment benefits. She wants to stay on the outskirts or northside of charlotte (like concord) to be in a safer neighborhood because we're both single women & her house she used to live in was broken into 2 years ago *she was home & the robber ran away thank goodness*

Since she's now unemployed & wanting to go back to school as well, she's looking for an 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment/townhome that has water included as well. We're searching like crazy but its hard to find a decent apartment that has a few utilities included at our price range. Like everyone else, we're looking for a safe & quiet area but we have a price range of around $750 or less a month. I know that cuts our options down a lot but I know there are a lot of people on this site who can provide some helpful information for us.

Also, I dont know which campus I'll be going to yet.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by love.doll; 07-02-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Here is one you could look into. I think it's in your price range (use google I guess). The Landings, in Huntersville, is close to the park and ride where you can get an express bus to Charlotte. My son rides the bus to CP every day. It is also walking distance.. if you don't mind walking, to Birkdale Village shops.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Here is one you could look into. I think it's in your price range (use google I guess). The Landings, in Huntersville, is close to the park and ride where you can get an express bus to Charlotte. My son rides the bus to CP every day. It is also walking distance.. if you don't mind walking, to Birkdale Village shops.
thank you so much
i'm looking it up now

Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I don't have any info to share, but just wanted to tell you how much I admire that you and your mom are working hard to get things rolling for the future. Good luck as you work out your plans - and start college in a few weeks!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't have any info to share, but just wanted to tell you how much I admire that you and your mom are working hard to get things rolling for the future. Good luck as you work out your plans - and start college in a few weeks!!!
thank you.
we just gotta do what we gotta do to make it in this world because we wont get anywhere in life by just sittin around & waiting for handouts. she's a single parent & she's had it very hard like so many other men & women so failure isnt an option for her. she's a little nervous about going back to school at her age but she has to stay on top of everything when it comes to the medical field *she's a CNA

hopefully college will open a few doors for us. it isnt a 100% guarantee for success but its better than nothing these days.

CPCC looks like a great school & i'm so excited.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
thank you.
we just gotta do what we gotta do to make it in this world because we wont get anywhere in life by just sittin around & waiting for handouts. she's a single parent & she's had it very hard like so many other men & women so failure isnt an option for her. she's a little nervous about going back to school at her age but she has to stay on top of everything when it comes to the medical field *she's a CNA

hopefully college will open a few doors for us. it isnt a 100% guarantee for success but its better than nothing these days.

CPCC looks like a great school & i'm so excited.

you have a great attitude and I hope everything works out well!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
you have a great attitude and I hope everything works out well!
thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM

anymore suggestions?
we're on a roll!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,960 times
I know places in the UNCC area that include utilities in their rent (electricity, water, cable, and internet) but they are near UNCC's campus. These places are usually built for college students but a few of them have families living there.

I live in the University Area (near UNCC) and pay around $1000 a month for a pretty nice 1500-1700 sq ft. 3 bedroom apartment (with a balcony to fit a couch and several chairs). I have to pay for utilities though.

As far as safety in this area, it really depends on how you take care of yourself and your property. This area has gotten worse over the years but I attribute that to growth.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
$750 is going to be tough, especially including utilities. I know of a few but I wouldn't recommend them to many people, mind you two single ladies. I like the Mallard Creek area, but some other areas work, depends on what campus you both need to be close too. If you are going to be taking the bus, you can go a little further out like another said in Huntersville. I will keep my eyes open, but again most decent places are $850, util additional. I think apts, off Harris west of 85 is your best bet. Other options, maybe renting something like a townhouse from an individual or renting rooms in a bigger house. Do you plan on renting for awhile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte