Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM

93 posts, read 698,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
Where is everyone out there going..Raleigh or Charlotte area?
I am looking at the Raleigh area simply because I grew up in the Hickory/Newton-Conover area and want to avoid running into old "acquantinces" that would surely be in Charlotte(sp?)
For anyone else though, I would highly recommend Charlotte, I wish I could go there myself.

Quote:
I haven't checked into a moving company yet but I heard it is very expensive.
The early estimates I have seen are between 5 and 8 thousand dollars.
The cost is determined by the weight of your haul, so if you have alot of stuff it could be considerably more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 02:50 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,483 times
Weis02- My thoughts are going 100mph but in reality Im not going anywhere soon. I will definately take my time and plan this out wisely. Im just excited!Thanks for the feed back. Tell me about the difference in closing times on homes in NC as opposed to here.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
I do not recall where here is for you, in NY it can take anywhere from 30-90-120 days, there are alot of variable here, in NC I was told is happens more quickly, like 30 days but that can change too, here in NY once you make an offer and their is an acceptance each party get an atty until closing, I was told in NC, atty is not involved until the end, there are some realtors here so maybe they can help further with the NC part...as for where you are, ck local realtors and laws...alot can be found online

Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
I thought i would chime in since i recently did it all.
As soon as our house sold, ( it tooks 6 months) and we were in a solid contract we flew to N.C and shoped houses.By the end of a long weekend we were in a contract to buy our home that is currently being built.
Went home, contacted a moving company. At.53cents a lb.@ roughly under $7,000 from Calif.
Shipped our stuff off while we stayed with family for an additional month to finish our jobs and say our goodbyes. We have now been here for three weeks and looking for work. So we came w/out jobs as well.
Some how, some way it all works out

Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
Just curious where are you living while waiting the house and where is your stuff?

Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 PM

212 posts, read 923,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
I thought i would chime in since i recently did it all.
As soon as our house sold, ( it tooks 6 months) and we were in a solid contract we flew to N.C and shoped houses.By the end of a long weekend we were in a contract to buy our home that is currently being built.
Went home, contacted a moving company. At.53cents a lb.@ roughly under $7,000 from Calif.
Shipped our stuff off while we stayed with family for an additional month to finish our jobs and say our goodbyes. We have now been here for three weeks and looking for work. So we came w/out jobs as well.
Some how, some way it all works out
Could I ask who you used for your moving company? Thank you.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Just curious where are you living while waiting the house and where is your stuff?
We are living in another home we purchased that will become a rental when our new house is finished.Our stuff is in the house and garage as we did not unpack everything.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Could I ask who you used for your moving company? Thank you.
Yes, it's United Express Moving Systems, inc.
I found them on line and went with them even though i had not heard of them but ne big name movers would be more.
They were honest from the get go i must say.Their # is 1-800- 253-1535.
We had a minor hiccup the day they arrived as they pool from local moving companys to help with the loading. They basically su contract out help. Long story short, it was cinco de mayo and their help fell through.
They had to do it the next day during my garage sale!!!
It really was not their fault but such a pain to deal with both very important events going on at the same time.
I think our estimated weight was 12,000 lbs but we went over some.
All said and done, i think the price was reasonable considering where it was comming from. In addition to that, we had a month of free storage that we took advantage of.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM

212 posts, read 923,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Yes, it's United Express Moving Systems, inc.
I found them on line and went with them even though i had not heard of them but ne big name movers would be more.
They were honest from the get go i must say.Their # is 1-800- 253-1535.
We had a minor hiccup the day they arrived as they pool from local moving companys to help with the loading. They basically su contract out help. Long story short, it was cinco de mayo and their help fell through.
They had to do it the next day during my garage sale!!!
It really was not their fault but such a pain to deal with both very important events going on at the same time.
I think our estimated weight was 12,000 lbs but we went over some.
All said and done, i think the price was reasonable considering where it was comming from. In addition to that, we had a month of free storage that we took advantage of.
Thank you for the information..I think you did ok with the price. I am in Arizona and my neighbor moved to Minnesota. I didn't think they had very much to take and they paid $14,000 so I was a bit worried.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the information..I think you did ok with the price. I am in Arizona and my neighbor moved to Minnesota. I didn't think they had very much to take and they paid $14,000 so I was a bit worried.
You are welcome I know it could have been alot more so i thought we scored on this one.My budget was 10k so i am happy the rest paid for the two vehicles to get out here plus some left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte