Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 AM

32 posts, read 76,597 times

Advertisements

Forget the grocery store milk - whatever - go for real raw milk to make the best cheese. There's a dairy in SC that sells raw whole milk that will make real cheese (SC allows that in tested herds).
York: Tucker Adkins Dairy, 7245 Park Place Rd., York S.C. 29745. This is grade "A" raw milk. Phone- (803) 242-4743. Also for sale are fresh eggs and butter when available.

DIRECTIONS

Merge on I-77 south
Take exit 82 towards Rock Hill
Take exit 82C SC-161 toward York
Keep right at the fork to go onto Celanese Road 2.1 miles
Turn Left onto India Hook Road 1.0 miles
Stay straight to go onto N. Herlong Avenue 2.6 miles
Turn slight right onto W Main Street/SC-5 stay on SC-5 4.9 miles
Turn left onto Gordon Road 1.6 miles
Turn right onto Park Place Road .6 miles
7245 Park Place Road York, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 PM

264 posts, read 851,035 times
I love fresh made cheese. My mom makes it from our goats and sheep. She makes yogurt also, you should try to make some. I love homemade stuff.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,633,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
If you are making fresh mozz..you could start a biz selling to all of us NY's who miss the real fresh drippy kind..yummy
Pasta & Provisions has excellent fresh mozzarella

Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,581,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Pasta & Provisions has excellent fresh mozzarella
Thanks..my mouth is watering already

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 20,888 times
Glad to hear there is at least one person taking up the task of making their own fresh Mozz... As another soon to be NY transplant, Im happy to see that things we take for granted up here are starting to become available in Charlotte. I'd love to hear that the bread we get from the Bronx is available too though. Along the same line of thinking, I have a specialty that I do in my own kitchen and have been getting requests for every time I bring some to friends homes etc. So if anyone wants fresh home made biscotti for the holidays, special occasions, or just cause you like having them around, Im your guy! I've got about a dozen flavors available including: Double chocolate, Chocolate/Cherry, Pistaccio/cranberry, Peanut butter, Vanilla/almond, Fruitcake (dont laugh, this one is awesome!) etc. I'll be posting closer to the holidays if anyone is interested as I generally do large batches at a time.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,356,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Vinny View Post
Glad to hear there is at least one person taking up the task of making their own fresh Mozz... As another soon to be NY transplant, Im happy to see that things we take for granted up here are starting to become available in Charlotte. I'd love to hear that the bread we get from the Bronx is available too though. Along the same line of thinking, I have a specialty that I do in my own kitchen and have been getting requests for every time I bring some to friends homes etc. So if anyone wants fresh home made biscotti for the holidays, special occasions, or just cause you like having them around, Im your guy! I've got about a dozen flavors available including: Double chocolate, Chocolate/Cherry, Pistaccio/cranberry, Peanut butter, Vanilla/almond, Fruitcake (dont laugh, this one is awesome!) etc. I'll be posting closer to the holidays if anyone is interested as I generally do large batches at a time.
They sound delicious Vinny!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Indian stores Sell Citric acid, and Renett is sold in the baking needs section of almost all grocery stores. BUT I cant find non-homogenized-whole milk

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 AM

33 posts, read 187,268 times
Default Stale Rennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdallmer View Post
Indian stores Sell Citric acid, and Renett is sold in the baking needs section of almost all grocery stores. BUT I cant find non-homogenized-whole milk
Be careful of buying Harris Teeter's Junkett Renet tables if you're lucky enough to even find them (1 out of every 6 stores carries it - its listed on HT express online).

I bought 2 boxes. No dates imprinted on either. They were both stale and probably sitting around for 5/6 years.

I now ruined $16.00 of raw milk (two gallons at 7.99/gallon) from Milky way farms of S.C.

Am trying to salvage one and at least make cottage cheese with it.

Junkett rennet is weak in chymosin and if its stale (which most in this area are) you'll be waiting for hours so forget the "30 minute" recipes you see online.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 187,268 times
Let me know if anyone has found another source of "Rennet" liquid or tablets besides Earthfare. I was in the one at by 485/Johnson road and they were out of rennet which they carry in liquid form. I suspect they carried the ablet form also but no one could tell me where it was.

Also, that same Earthfare has bulk citric acid for making mozarella, ricotta, etc. Am making my 3rd batch today -

Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,961,086 times
PLEASE post your recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte