U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 AM

222 posts, read 309,795 times

Advertisements

Seems like a lot more companies are all of the sudden not drug testing. I hear in CA there are now commercials on TV to legalize Marijuanna, but I dont live in Charlotte, so I dont know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 AM

83 posts, read 178,846 times
My Company didnt test for drugs, however, i am a software engineer so i guess they figure if your going to do something like that... maybe you wouldn't be into drugs..lol.. either that or maybe you make better software high... lol.... I know that sounded stupid but couldnt guess a real reason.

The one thing I do know is cost is a factor at some places and almost no Place checks for steroids becuase its extremely expensive, I know this only becuase i broke my back while serving in the military and was getting shots, with Steroids in them ( a minimal amount) and I asked if it would be detected on a test and the Dr. answered Nope that test is to expensive for most employers

Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,443,713 times
Search our Database of companies that do drug testing (http://www.testclear.com/dtcompanies/searchcompany2.cfm?UserID=4611643&SessionID=8ObT7L Lkzny5ZfrD8Nma - broken link)

Not 100% reliable, but a good source.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM

35,601 posts, read 43,927,551 times
Most healthcare entities do drug testing . . . and reserve the right to randomly test.

One of the biggest liabilities in a hospital (cost wise) is an employed doc who is impaired . . . but those situations I have dealt with in the past are typically with alcoholic docs rather than druggies.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

14,699 posts, read 14,225,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
Seems like a lot more companies are all of the sudden not drug testing. I hear in CA there are now commercials on TV to legalize Marijuanna, but I dont live in Charlotte, so I dont know.
Yes, there are commercials in CA to legalize Mary Jane. Currently, of course, it is legal to get it for medical reasons. They now have giant head shops with all the bongs, pipes, etc. you could need that are openly advertised with a big leaf in the window. I hear tell that doctors show up and basically give prescriptions to anyone who will answer a couple questions and pay a few bucks.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,583,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, there are commercials in CA to legalize Mary Jane. Currently, of course, it is legal to get it for medical reasons. They now have giant head shops with all the bongs, pipes, etc. you could need that are openly advertised with a big leaf in the window. I hear tell that doctors show up and basically give prescriptions to anyone who will answer a couple questions and pay a few bucks.
This is not quite accurate. There is ONE commercial advocating leagalizing marijuna so that the state can tax it and "end our fiscall deficit". Most of the major networks have refused to air the commercial. It is illegal on the federal level. So that's really the end of the discussion.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

35,601 posts, read 43,927,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
This is not quite accurate. There is ONE commercial advocating leagalizing marijuna so that the state can tax it and "end our fiscall deficit". Most of the major networks have refused to air the commercial. It is illegal on the federal level. So that's really the end of the discussion.
Makes sense to me, Baybook!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,215,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
You would think they would drug test these teachers.

you would. I find it scary that they don't!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

831 posts, read 969,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
you would. I find it scary that they don't!
Let's face it, nodding off in class is not life threatening to the student, otherwise my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. DeAgatti, would have killed a bunch of us.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,469,554 times
The thing about blanket drug testing is it unfairly tarnishes anyone who might have used ANY so-called 'drug,' making no distiction really of someone who smokes a joint in the backyard on Friday night, and a raging meth addict. I wouldn't have a problem with someone who enjoyed the occasional joint on a Saturday night working for me. How is that different than a couple glasses of wine or beer? And, while anyone with a serious problem should seek help, I've found potheads more reliable and less emotionally volatile and dangerous than alcoholics.

The problem is, marijuana stays in the system for a month to six weeks, cocaine can burn straight through your system in 3-5 days (I may be wrong on this, but it's what I've heard). So, a cokehead who manages to stay clean for a week after getting a job is OK, but a guy who took a toke at a party last month is not?

Drug tests should be reserved for cases of reasonable suspicion, or in sensitve areas such as health care where ready access to pills, etc., is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte