U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,638,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
Can anyone give me a good reason why a company wouldn't drug test??? It's a liability.
Well, I simply think it's unnecessary for the company I work for. We install lawn sprinklers. We need laborers and service techs. Over the years I've worked there a lot of them have been pot smokers, and it hasn't mattered one bit. A much bigger problem is the guys showing up hungover, or not at all, after a big night of drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
And, while anyone with a serious problem should seek help, I've found potheads more reliable and less emotionally volatile and dangerous than alcoholics.
^Yeah, that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,955,808 times
i only got my first drug test for my current contract position at a large biotech/pharmaceutical company (guess why). i've had perhaps 20 jobs of some sort in the last 15 years and never had to take one. i firmly believe that they are a violation of privacy. if your drug use affects your work then you should be fired. but if you smoke pot on the weekends, it's your issue. alcoholics are just as much of a problem, and far more common, but they can't test against that usually. i also think it's a weird situation when you live in some states or countries where it's not a crime to smoke pot, or you are even prescribed it, but then you would still fail a drug test even though you didn't break a law. in any event, you definitely look sketchy if you raise a stink about it to a possible employer, and unless you really are an addict, you should be able to give up whatever you're doing for a few weeks if you need to for a job.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i firmly believe that they are a violation of privacy.
How so? I don't see it as a privacy issue at all. Nobody's taking evidence on you against your will. If they let you know up front that a passing a drug screen is a prerequisite for getting hired, there is no privacy issue. If you don't want to give them the test, don't. Go try to get a job elsewhere.

Now if you had a job already and somebody creeped up behind you and snatched a strand of hair and sent it off to be tested.... yeah, you might have a legitimate complaint there. But I find it unlikely that that's happening.

I see complaining about privacy violations for a test that you know you have to take and agree to take about as sensible as complaining about traffic noise after buying a house next to a freeway.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,856,991 times
Good Grief: Of all of the things we must go through in life, peeing in a bottle doesn't even make the list.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,856,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Well, I simply think it's unnecessary for the company I work for. We install lawn sprinklers. We need laborers and service techs. Over the years I've worked there a lot of them have been pot smokers, and it hasn't mattered one bit. A much bigger problem is the guys showing up hungover, or not at all, after a big night of drinking.
So what is a companies liability when a employee high on drugs kills someone driving a company truck? What about damages when digging in peoples yards and cutting into underground power or gas lines.

Word of mouth about don't hire that company cause the crew they sent were a bunch of pot heads or druggies.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

310 posts, read 589,689 times
The sarcastic and insulting responses to this question disgust me. As someone who is adamantly opposed to employee drug testing without reason or suspicion on moral as well as privacy grounds, I am absolutely appalled at how some of you have berated this poster as well as disturbed by your attitudes on this topic. Now, I can't speak for users of hard drugs, but I personally know many people that go to work everyday, stone-cold sober and remain that way until they are off the clock and on their own private property once again. What's the difference between shots at happy hour and a doob at home after work? Oh, wait. That's right. The former is (for some reason) accepted as okay in society, while the latter is not. Are you even aware that most hard drugs (the ones you SHOULD test for) exit the blood and urine systems orders of magnitude quicker than the "ganj" that this poster was told to put down? I don't expect any friendly or agreeable responses judging from previous posters. It is worth noting however, that I DO support drug testing if it's based on solid reasoning or suspicion of drug use - because if you come to work baked or otherwise, I have no sympathy for you.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
The sarcastic and insulting responses to this question disgust me. As someone who is adamantly opposed to employee drug testing without reason or suspicion on moral as well as privacy grounds, I am absolutely appalled at how some of you have berated this poster as well as disturbed by your attitudes on this topic. Now, I can't speak for users of hard drugs, but I personally know many people that go to work everyday, stone-cold sober and remain that way until they are off the clock and on their own private property once again. What's the difference between shots at happy hour and a doob at home after work? Oh, wait. That's right. The former is (for some reason) accepted as okay in society, while the latter is not. Are you even aware that most hard drugs (the ones you SHOULD test for) exit the blood and urine systems orders of magnitude quicker than the "ganj" that this poster was told to put down? I don't expect any friendly or agreeable responses judging from previous posters. It is worth noting however, that I DO support drug testing if it's based on solid reasoning or suspicion of drug use - because if you come to work baked or otherwise, I have no sympathy for you.
Dude, people were just giving their opinions and that is what this forum is for.

BTW - HR can't just test people they are suspicious of - a company must have a policy in place about random testing and it has to be truly random - you can't just cherry pick a few people and test them whenever you please.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,850,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
What's the difference between shots at happy hour and a doob at home after work? Oh, wait. That's right. The former is (for some reason) accepted as okay in society, while the latter is not.
It's not a question of what's "accepted as okay in society". One is legal and the other is not.

Whether one is more harmful, etc., etc., than the other is a completely different discussion.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So what is a companies liability when a employee high on drugs kills someone driving a company truck? What about damages when digging in peoples yards and cutting into underground power or gas lines.

Word of mouth about don't hire that company cause the crew they sent were a bunch of pot heads or druggies.
I don't think these things happen much. Perhaps you could cite some examples to convince me otherwise?

I'm not trying to start a fight, really. It's just that I simply haven't heard of these companies that have suffered huge lawsuit losses "when a employee high on drugs kills someone driving a company truck". I contend that it doesn't happen frequently at all. I would think most of the people not hired due to drug testing are casual marijuana smokers who do their smoking in off hours, not people with serious problems. People with serious drug problems generally are pretty darned close to unemployable, and certainly not the type an employer would likely trust with driving a company vehicle. Of course, like you, I'm just guessing really. Feel free to give me some examples of actual cases.

As far as hitting gas lines and electrical lines and cable and phone and all that? I've done all of that many, many times. Completely sober. It's really just a job hazard that has more to with mis-marked lines than being under the influence of anything. Only once in my fifteen plus years of cutting utility lines did it lead to a fight over money -- and it didn't end up costing the company anything. Again, though, I'd be interested in hearing about any cases you could cite to back up your suggestion that this is a real problem.

Word of mouth about a crew of "pot heads and druggies"? Sure, that could and probably would happen. IF the crew was under the influence while working. This just doesn't happen as much as everyone seems to think it does, at least not in my experience. The guys I work with smoke pot. But not at work. It's an after work, and on the weekend thing -- much like so many people use alcohol. So while this is a valid concern, I haven't seen it happen.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 66,494 times
lol.. there are a few places..but i guarante you dont want to work in any of them.

i didnt read this whole thread, so im giving my opinion based on the first few posts alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte