U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM

276 posts, read 417,158 times

Advertisements

As unliveable as Charlotte is, it's better than Cary. Cary could be the poster child for all that has gone wrong in this country in the last eight years.

Cary keeps getting ranked as the "best city to live". By whom? The NAB!?! The US Chamber?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,709,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
As unliveable as Charlotte is, it's better than Cary. Cary could be the poster child for all that has gone wrong in this country in the last eight years.

Cary keeps getting ranked as the "best city to live". By whom? The NAB!?! The US Chamber?!?
Lived in North Raleigh (Six Forks Rd & Strickland Rd) and worked in Cary for years. I never understood the hype about Cary. Very boring and nothing there but residential. Oh well..to each his own.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 17,429 times
Default l

Live in Charlotte Now, went to school in Triangle and in DC area. Charlotte is just a over-sized rural town , no different from Raleigh,G-Boro or Winston-salem just larger. You really cant compare Charlotte to any other metro area on the east coast with a 500,000+ pop, but you can compare it to small citys like Cary, just without the Tall buildings.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,709,699 times
Charlotte...over sized rural town...I smell a TROLL!

Then that would make Raleigh/Cary a small town with no stop lights.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreboy View Post
Live in Charlotte Now, went to school in Triangle and in DC area. Charlotte is just a over-sized rural town , no different from Raleigh,G-Boro or Winston-salem just larger. You really cant compare Charlotte to any other metro area on the east coast with a 500,000+ pop, but you can compare it to small citys like Cary, just without the Tall buildings.
I don't think that description is accurate for Charlotte at all, and I have traveled all over the USA, as well as having lived in other areas.

If by "over-sized rural town" you mean - Charlotte is essentially a city core surrounded by large burbs, then I can see where you are coming from, but rural . . . perhaps more open land and larger lots than most cities the same population size, b/c CLT covers much more land than most cities, including much more densely populated cities.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM

OP - you may find comparisons b/n Cary and South Charlotte, but I dunno . . . I have watched Cary for over 35 years and Cary has its own set of characteristics (and problems) that are pretty much singular to Cary, LOL.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,993,242 times
Cary is known as a very, how should I say this, *organized* place. There are lots of rules. And order. And planning. And the Cary police... let's just say they are not known for their flexibility.

But all in all, Cary is a great place if that kind of suburban bliss is what gets your blood pumping.

As far as regions, I would put the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) as a better place to live than the Charlotte metro. There is a different culture in Raleigh, bred from the university halls, college athletics, old-south traditions, and academic esoterica.

I love Charlotte, don't get me wrong... but I'd live in Raleigh without a second thought.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 17,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Charlotte...over sized rural town...I smell a TROLL!

Then that would make Raleigh/Cary a small town with no stop lights.
Oh Im a Troll but yet you seem to post everywhere on this board,(isnt that what a troll is) anyway it is just my opinion but I dont think it compares at all to any other metro area on the east coast. Cary is a nice area, great schools, good people, small community feel. Charlotte is a nice area, good people, small community feel imo, schools... well. One just has 100 thousand +, other 500 thousand +. To each is own.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM

13 posts, read 19,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OP - you may find comparisons b/n Cary and South Charlotte, but I dunno . . . I have watched Cary for over 35 years and Cary has its own set of characteristics (and problems) that are pretty much singular to Cary, LOL.
Can u expand on what the "problems"are, are they any different from any other mid-sized town?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Native View Post
Can u expand on what the "problems"are, are they any different from any other mid-sized town?
Hi, NY Native! What I may see as a problem may not be perceived that way by Cary residents. You can probably get more insight by going to the Raleigh forum and getting their input.

I have not lived in Cary - just have cousins and friends there.

Native-Son's post (above) alluded to some of what I find problematic about Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte