U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 16,482 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from FLA to NC End of this year. We are also in the market to open a business there. We have the cash at hand but was wondering if anyone has an idea of what would do good there? Franchise? etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,652,841 times
I would look at see what is there and what competition you would be up against, what the market is asking for (what is not there, that may do well) there is a lot of retail opening so I would do a lot of research to see what the market calls for...best of luck!!

Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,482 times
Default thanks

Thats what are plan is. Just wondering if anyone had a little idea out there for us. thanks again.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy123
Thats what are plan is. Just wondering if anyone had a little idea out there for us. thanks again.
I don't know if this helps, but I do in most new communities a Blockbuster. In all the developments. That might be quite a bit to get into.

In South Charlotte I know a small biz owner who opened a coffee shop. Seems tobe doing well, my assumption is that area won't see a Starbucks (as the location, demographics and maybe traffic flow wouldn't work for them), however I know if the product is good I would 10 times out 10 patronize the local guy vs. the chain.

Just a thought

Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,920,380 times
Any non-chain restaurant or store is always welcome. Not sure what your background is, but a Cuban restaurant in South Charlotte would be nice.

In terms of chains, I think if you opened up a Friendlys restaurant in South Charlotte/Ballantyne area you would do really well. There is one in Huntersville. Seems like the company is interested in expanding in NC/SC...

Friendly's - Franchise (http://www.friendlys.com/franchise/index.aspx - broken link)

Jamba Juice would work pretty well too. There is one at the airport and one in Kannapolis, which is north of Charlotte.

Jamba Juice

Just some ideas for now...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM

870 posts, read 3,213,707 times
Do your research before you come and plop down money into something. If you don't know what you want to do, I doubt anyone on this board can tell you. Retail is tough in Charlotte. Rents are high. A lot of competition. Food is just as tough. Charlotteans are a tough crowd.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Do your research before you come and plop down money into something. If you don't know what you want to do, I doubt anyone on this board can tell you. Retail is tough in Charlotte. Rents are high. A lot of competition. Food is just as tough. Charlotteans are a tough crowd.
Very accurate!!!! We could use another bakery, tho. Or a Tapas bar in S. CLT/ Ballantyne . . .

Here are other things I think would work here, if you pick the right location and can market well:

Outdoor landscaping, lighting, patios, decks
Renovation services - specializing in baths and kitchens
Nanny service
Elder day care
Custom shutters (N of city - Huntersville, Mooresville)

Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 AM

206 posts, read 453,896 times
Cindy123, NJMDPANC has given you the best advice so far. There are a lot of businesses individuals may want to see but making the business work is a whole different story. You MUST do your own research. The failure rate for retail is so high, don't risk your capital without first doing a lot of research. This is probably not the right vehicle for that.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Cindy123, NJMDPANC has given you the best advice so far. There are a lot of businesses individuals may want to see but making the business work is a whole different story. You MUST do your own research. The failure rate for retail is so high, don't risk your capital without first doing a lot of research. This is probably not the right vehicle for that.
Of course, all of you are correct that they need to do their research. I do feasibility studies and business development plans (mostly healthcare sector) and everyone is correct - you need to do a feasibility study to determine the need - and that would include detailed analysis of the demographics of the area in wh/ you are thinking about locating the business, analysis of like product sales in the region, etc.

However, ideas for businesses are always good as this may spark some thought on your part that leads to a viable suggestion that you could then research.

In general, I would say that the people I have seen who are most successful w/ starting a business are doing things that they have a passion for - an innate joy in doing. So if you have a particular interest in something - be it cooking or making jewelry - then let that interest be your guide - and then research, research, research.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM

870 posts, read 3,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In general, I would say that the people I have seen who are most successful w/ starting a business are doing things that they have a passion for - an innate joy in doing. So if you have a particular interest in something - be it cooking or making jewelry - then let that interest be your guide - and then research, research, research.
Agreed.
Start with a plan. Make lists, lots of them. What do you like to do? Where do you like to shop? Play sports? Have hobbies? Are there franchises you like? Have kids? What do they like to do? What do you like to do with them?
Then make lists of pros and cons of each one. Research each one and then see what is or not in the Charlotte area. You may find that being somewhere else is a better fit for what you want to do.
It all comes down to research, plan and location!!

I could list a ton of businesses that I would love to see but that is my wish list, not someone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or