Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
I have met many talented men that believed they could lead any partner successfully in a dance, and I have proven them wrong. The only person that has ever been able to move me across a dance floor without incident was a Marine with incredible skills in swing dancing. He was only successful because he never let my feet touch the floor. I will dance with you, and you will regret it.

Glad to hear that BUT my usuage of the word "dance" is not literal but meaning to do something together vis a vi the subject matter. ie: real estate.

However, if you'd like to throw in a dance lesson I'm game.
LOL
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM

59 posts, read 130,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Glad to hear that BUT my usuage of the word "dance" is not literal but meaning to do something together vis a vi the subject matter. ie: real estate.

However, if you'd like to throw in a dance lesson I'm game.
LOL
je
Oh John, you give me too much credit for my ability to decipher specific words in relationship to their abstract intents. You are talking to Krisia of 2006, who approached ideas from an education in liberal arts. I told you that I have been pursuing a Master's degree in Library Science. Abstract ideas have been beaten out of me in a two year period. I have learned that literal interpretation only is valid. You propose a dance? I expect a samba.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 26,845 times
Default Comeback neighborhoods

Johne482,

To answer your question, I'm researching a magazine story on neighborhood revivals in the South. These kinds of stories are often criticized for speaking only with the "experts" and ignoring the locals. Posts within this forum can be very thoughtful and a great resource for local opinion. In the end, the neighborhoods chosen for this story will rely on opinion–mine, an editor, experts, and real people. Too often, it's real people left out of that mix.

I have a short list of neighborhoods in mind, but that list will change with your input.

Thank you.
Rex Perry

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
since the mid 60s throught the 70s, Fourth Ward was a horrible, crime filled area. Considering the status of 4th Ward today as well as Graham Street (part of 4th Ward), it has my vote..

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I would agree with what others have said. NoDa is a bit too early in the gentrification phase to make the list, IMO.

Areas like Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth and maybe South End sound more like what you're looking for, perhaps?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
Recently Revitalized:
NoDa
Plaza Midwood
Morningside Village (perhaps this is in the next category, as it is not yet completed.)
Local businesses are thriving

Undergoing a Renaissance:
Merry Oaks
Eastway Park
Sheffield Park
Local businesses are not thriving yet

Next in line for Renaissance:
Grier Heights

Everyone on this forum will argue about the last note, but you should consider that the area of Grier Heights is surrounded by Elizabeth, Cotswold and countless medical buildings. It is a pocket of poverty surrounded on all sides by wealth. The patterns of Charlotte development indicate that this area will eventually gentrify. It will certainly take ten plus years though.

It needs to be. And I think it will for the same reasons you listed. I live in Eastover Ridge (across the street) and like you said pretty much everywhere beside Grier is a nice area.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlperry View Post
Johne482,

To answer your question, I'm researching a magazine story on neighborhood revivals in the South. These kinds of stories are often criticized for speaking only with the "experts" and ignoring the locals. Posts within this forum can be very thoughtful and a great resource for local opinion. In the end, the neighborhoods chosen for this story will rely on opinion–mine, an editor, experts, and real people. Too often, it's real people left out of that mix.

I have a short list of neighborhoods in mind, but that list will change with your input.

Thank you.
Rex Perry
I am thrilled you are taking the input of locals into consideration in your story. Please let me know if there is anything I can tell you, I'd be happy to help

Old 07-14-2009, 06:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlperry View Post
Johne482,

Thank you.
Rex Perry
It sounds like an interesting project...Plaza Midwood may be the best example your looking for...Southend fits too if you don't mind an area coming back w/ apartments, condos, lofts and townhouses...good small businesses though too....all thanks to the first line in the Lynx Light Rail system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte