Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 30,398 times

Advertisements

I am looking into some condos in the Fourth Ward area, and was hoping for input from some locals. Is the area generally safe? Any problems with break-ins or robberies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoclt View Post
I am looking into some condos in the Fourth Ward area, and was hoping for input from some locals. Is the area generally safe? Any problems with break-ins or robberies?
I would advise you to check with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department for accurate crime statistics. Personally, I think Fourth Ward is really attractive. I love that people who live there and work uptown don't need to own a car. But, unfortunately, walking around uptown to go home there many people have been mugged or robbed. I do know that the folks there are all highly educated and proactive in looking for solutions to those problems though. Good luck, but look for other areas if safety is your biggest concern.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,547 times
Just like any city, I'd be cautious when walking around at night. But as far as cities this size (600,000+ people), we have one of the safer downtowns one can find. Lots of police presence and good neighborhood watch. I think it's a nice area. Good luck to you!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Just like any city, I'd be cautious when walking around at night. But as far as cities this size (600,000+ people), we have one of the safer downtowns one can find. Lots of police presence and good neighborhood watch. I think it's a nice area. Good luck to you!
Oh, I agree, our uptown area is much safer than many other large cities. I go uptown at night frequently and feel fairly safe The problem in Fourth Ward seems to be that the folks there are being targeted by a criminal element who hides out and waits for unsuspecting homeowners to be walking home. The fact that it is near enough to some undesirable areas makes it the easiet target in all of uptown, in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM

true, that seems to be the case with a lot of uptown areas, Gateway, too.

OP could do what I do when I walk around any city I am visiting and when I walk around uptown Charlotte-- look mad and mean and people will leave you alone.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks so much for the replies!! What about property crimes, like break-ins? Obviously I plan on locking my door at night, but should I be concerned about prowlers or forced entries?

Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the replies!! What about property crimes, like break-ins? Obviously I plan on locking my door at night, but should I be concerned about prowlers or forced entries?
Not so much, from what I know. The biggest property crime there seems to be busted car windows or stolen cars. But like I said, the neighbors there seem very proactive - maybe they are getting a handle on this by now

Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Stolen cars? Oh great.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
All I can say is it is a city. Charlotte is now considered a major city because of our population. So yes, you need to be concerned, but I would be concerned about that anywhere I lived. As far as cities go, it is relatively safe. Look for a place with garaged areas for cars, property cameras, and a neighborhood watch; that should help ease your mind a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte