U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 42,995 times

Advertisements

The way I've seen the job market described in Charlotte makes it sound like you'd have a better chance winning the lottery than finding a job. On Craigslist there are easily more than 50 - 75 jobs posted everyday. And they are not all entry level positions. If the unemployment rate is 11%, that means that 89% of the people are still working. Maybe less than a few years ago, but a fairly substantial number none the less. It can't really be all doom and gloom can it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 AM

27 posts, read 71,390 times
I don't think it is all "doom and gloom". I think things are starting to turn around a bit. But about that Craigslist thing.... most of those 50-75 jobs posted daily are just scams trying to get your credit card number. But if you are looking for a job in food and beverage, it can be a good start because most of those postings are legit.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 AM

841 posts, read 1,239,535 times
It's not about "doom and gloom" so much as we don't want people making the mistake of moving to Charlotte, thinking jobs are falling from the sky. It's about being a bit realistic.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 AM

494 posts, read 1,182,317 times
I know someone who recently applied for a job on Craig's List and got an email telling him that they received 36,000 applications and that they will not review the ones that did not have A.B. or C.

There are jobs but for every job there are SOOOOOOOOOOOO many people applying for that job!! I wouldn't get upset with people on here for trying to be honest with you! I have so many friends who have been out of work for so long and are applying for jobs but the competition is tougher than they have ever seen.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,832,596 times
Kat is right, Craigslist is full of scammers both in jobs and other areas. I am trying to sell a huge Hallmark collection to get some cash and got a message from a scammer. Good thing I am wary by nature.

Anyway about the jobs and the number of people looking.....here is an example. About 4 miles up the road from me they opened a new Lowe's Home Improvement store pushing 2 months ago. They were going to have 150 jobs. Ended up they moved about 100 people from their other stores, so that left 50 openings. They had over 1700 applications for those positions!! Many of them from way overqualified people (like me) just hoping for something. And I have been told by an insider that many of those will probably go away at the end of the probationary period of 90 days since they have a habit of hiring lots for the opening, but cutting some when the hoopla dies down.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 AM

716 posts, read 1,359,938 times
LOL the newspaper has those kind of jobs too. I always see ads for post office jobs and I automatically consider it spam. I mean these postal jobs are posted in every single paper around the country.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM

797 posts, read 2,983,375 times
I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my resume which has pretty much my life on it to a random craigslist ad.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my resume which has pretty much my life on it to a random craigslist ad.
You shouldn't do it. Lots of crazy stuff on CL.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You shouldn't do it. Lots of crazy stuff on CL.

Defender of Craigslist here. Might be the fact that I'm from Nor Cal and have used it since Newmark started it back at the start of the dot com craze, but I have found jobs, bought/sold tickets, bought furniture, rented my condo, found roomates, filled jobs , etc all on Craigslist. As with most things, common sense must prevail but it's a great tool.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,170,125 times
funny thing is...there are so many people working in jobs that they just don't appreciate. There are a few people, that I currently work with, that just don't get it. They complain all day long, they bring their personal problems to work, which affects the entire work environment in a negative way. They are just such a "downers". These people think they aren't dispensable. Some are downright lazy and useless!
I really wish some of these firms would take advantage of the fact that there is so much overqualified talent out there, ready to do what it takes. What is preventing them from getting rid of all the dead weight that is negativity and just a drag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or