U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,073,113 times

Advertisements

I don't know how anyone can think someone with a red light has right of way, so right back at you. How else can you read this sentence?

All vehicles turning right shall yield the right of way to other traffic

The sentence you pasted comes from the section that talks about having a green right arrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
I think they should just make ALL intersections "No U turn", and then we wouldnt have this issue!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,196,367 times
Here's one for the natives... Please DON'T do it like we had up north!

Do you fellow yankees remember using Jughandles in NJ? OMG, what a disaster they are.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
Hey, you've been given the answer. I don't care to argue with you anylonger.

I'm not the one with people honking at them everytime they make a U turn. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't know how anyone can think someone with a red light has right of way, so right back at you. How else can you read this sentence?

All vehicles turning right shall yield the right of way to other traffic

The sentence you pasted comes from the section that talks about having a green right arrow.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

624 posts, read 1,888,800 times
I'm a visual kind of guy so let me know if I have this straight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
Let's say I'm turning right and I have a green arrow. The car to my right on the street I'm turning onto is making a u-turn (to head in the same direction as me) and also has a green arrow.
Original post specifies that both cars have Green lights, so mentioning right on red is a moot point.

right-of-way/yielding question-example.bmp . right-of-way/yielding question-green-lights.bmp

If this is the case, I'd say the red car/line should be yielding. Reinforcing the signs that say "U-Turn Yield To Right Turn"

The U turn is always going to be the wildcard, it's not part of normal traffic flow, hence it always yields.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 07-13-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM

841 posts, read 1,237,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I see this happen all the time. What's worse is that a lot of times the people turning right don't even have a green arrow. When making a right on red you still have to stop at the light.
I had this happen to me recently when I had the green and I was making a U-Turn. A jeep with two teenaged guys blew through the red light without even attempting to stop to make a right on red; they nearly hit me.

The response of the driver? He looked me straight in the eye and gave me a thumbs up.

I almost showed him a special finger of mine too.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,928,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I'm a visual kind of guy so let me know if I have this straight:

Original post specifies that both cars have Green lights, so mentioning right on red is a moot point.

Attachment 45089 . Attachment 45098

If this is the case, I'd say the red car/line should be yielding. Reinforcing the signs that say "U-Turn Yield To Right Turn"

The U turn is always going to be the wildcard, it's not part of normal traffic flow, hence it always yields.
We have an intersection just like this near our house (S. Tryon and Ayrsley Town Blvd) and it says the exact same thing. U-Turn Yield To Right Turn.

Case closed. Not that anyone making the u-turn ever actually yields to the right-turners...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 19,445 times
Here's one - what if I am turning right with a green light, but there is a yield sign. Is that yield sign meaning that opposite traffic turning left on the same road have right of way, even though they don't have an arrow?

There have been times when people have turned at the same time as me with a green light. If we are turning onto a two-lane street, the left turner goes in the left lane and the right turner goes in the right lane. It's a little scary, but as long as people stick in their lanes, it makes traffic move a lot faster!

Julie
New In Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte