U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,672,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRagtop View Post
I live in Pompton Lakes, Near Wayne.. Thanks to all for the in-sight so far.. The Job market seems to be worse then I originally thought from what every one is saying.
Ah! A Passaic County Guy! 07442....right? I applaud your attempt to move out of North Jersey, I did the same thing myself, for many of the same reasons. But in the last year or so, this area has been hard hit by the "Great Recession". The unemployment rate for the Charlotte Area is probably close to 13 or 14%, much higher than the New York Metro area's 9.5%. The breadth and depth of the job market here, is much less than you might be used to, since the Charlotte market is less than 1/10th the size of NY/NJ. Many residents of the Northeast still seem to think that the Charlotte region still has a relatively healthy job market! This is no longer true!

I know this sounds very discouraging, but we'd rather give you a more realistic idea of what is going on in the area in terms of employment. The banks are not laying off employees in big numbers all at once, rather they're letting people go in dribs and drabs....15 or 20 people a day. Paradoxically, they are hiring people in very tiny numbers for very specific jobs. Such is the nature of business today.

If all of this has not totally discouraged you from moving, might I suggest that you postpone a move here, for a year or so, until the economy recovers a bit, which it, at some point, will certainly do! I noticed that some towns in Northern NJ are actually seeing house prices rise, according to the Bergen Record. We'd love to have you here, but you may actually be better off in Pompton Lakes (you'd probably want to hit me though, when your next quarterly tax bill arrives, for saying that!).

Moving here, certainly improved my life, but I'm retired, so it's a much easier thing to do! I'd advise you to save as much money as possible during the next year, if your heart is really set on moving. You could also research the area a bit more and look at some houses online in the meantime. Here's a pretty good site to look for houses:

CarolinaHome.com

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! We'll be here to answer anything you might want to ask!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 07-13-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,099,361 times
Quote:
Ok on this point, I have to tell you that I have never been tailgated so bad as when driving on 77. Maybe it was just me, but I was doing 65-70 in the middle lane and people were on my bumper almost 100% of the time. Is that normal?? My Father in law who lives in SC likes to say "North Carolina, first in flight...Last to drive".. Any truth to this ??
I77 is bad for tailgating, and if you try to leave a safe gap between you and the car in front someone will be bound to pull into it.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 45,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Ah! A Passaic County Guy! 07442....right? I applaud your attempt to move out of North Jersey, I did the same thing myself, for many of the same reasons. But in the last year or so, this area has been hard hit by the "Great Recession". The unemployment rate for the Charlotte Area is probably close to 13 or 14%, much higher than the New York Metro area's 9.5%. The breadth and depth of the job market here, is much less than you might be used to, since the Charlotte market is less than 1/10th the size of NY/NJ. Many residents of the Northeast still seem to think that the Charlotte region still has a relatively healthy job market! This is no longer true!

I know this sounds very discouraging, but we'd rather give you a more realistic idea of what is going on in the area in terms of employment. The banks are not laying off employees in big numbers all at once, rather they're letting people go in dribs and drabs....15 or 20 people a day. Paradoxically, they are hiring people in very tiny numbers for very specific jobs. Such is the nature of business today.

If all of this has not totally discouraged you from moving, might I suggest that you postpone a move here, for a year or so, until the economy recovers a bit, which it, at some point, will certainly do! I noticed that some towns in Northern NJ are actually seeing house prices rise, according to the Bergen Record. We'd love to have you here, but you may actually be better off in Pompton Lakes (you'd probably want to hit me though, when your next quarterly tax bill arrives, for saying that!).

Moving here, certainly improved my life, but I'm retired, so it's a much easier thing to do! I'd advise you to save as much money as possible during the next year, if your heart is really set on moving. You could also research the area a bit more and look at some houses online in the meantime. Here's a pretty good site to look for houses:

CarolinaHome.com

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! We'll be here to answer anything you might want to ask!

Bingo Bango 07442.. Truth be told our house has been on the market for almost a year now, we purchased it in the hight of the market and are already down $10,000 if we sell it at asking price after all the fees. We just want out, my job although its a great job has me out of the house 3 nights a week and I want to be home with my familly.. Its just time for a change.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM

61 posts, read 98,780 times
Quote:
We just want out, my job although its a great job has me out of the house 3 nights a week and I want to be home with my familly.. Its just time for a change.
I think that the recommendation that TheEmissary gave is very sound. Wait a year or two. If you give up what you have to come here, there is a very good chance you will be without employment for a extended period of time. Right now you have a job but you want to move, not have to move - but want to move.

The individuals on this board are being honest and real and thats what you asked for. If they are telling you that your biggest challenge is employment, believe it. There is nothing more frustrating then wanting to work, looking for work, trying to work but coming up empty for months on end. The unemployment rate in NJ is around 8%, its 11% here and rising with expectations that it will hit 13% by year-end -- and you're trying to move out here now? I know you said you wanted a change, but if you make that move right now - it might not be the one you expected. It would be highly prudent on your part to think very heavily about moving your family here at this time. You may end up putting yourself and your family under a great deal of unnecessary stress if things don't pan out like you anticipated. I know if things don't turn around here soon, a lot of my unemployed friends will be moving out of NC.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM

41 posts, read 94,784 times
Quote:
Bingo Bango 07442.. Truth be told our house has been on the market for almost a year now, we purchased it in the hight of the market and are already down $10,000 if we sell it at asking price after all the fees. We just want out, my job although its a great job has me out of the house 3 nights a week and I want to be home with my familly.. Its just time for a change.
Please listen to all of us when I say stay put- don't make a change now. NC is a great place but jobs are scarce. My DH lost his job after three years in NC and luckily found one in NJ & we are moving back along with several close friends and neighbors.

Being out of the house 3 nights a week is alot better then being home 24/7 depressed without a job.

Please keep your job and wait a bit..

Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,109,142 times
^^^^I would second that. At my company, we had about 5 families move down from Jersey about 2.5 years ago. To date, 3 have moved back due to the job situation. You might want to hang on for a little while!!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 45,299 times
Is there any way to change your license plates before you move?? I am comin' down from the Belmar NJ area this fall and don't want my Jersey plates on anymore!!!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM

2,371 posts, read 3,414,782 times
Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do, but the concern from us is real....our employment situation in the Charlotte area is very bad...only MI and OH have higher unemployment rates....and I'm not sure if the real rate isn't closer to 13-14% already b/c I'm not sure if contract job that are lost are counted in the unemployment figures...we really don't want you to have a bad experience by coming here just b/c you can't find work....we actually all love living here, and if you can come and have a job, or you can afford to live w/out a job for a year or more, definitely come b/c this is a great area to live.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do, but the concern from us is real....our employment situation in the Charlotte area is very bad...only MI and OH have higher unemployment rates....and I'm not sure if the real rate isn't closer to 13-14% already b/c I'm not sure if contract job that are lost are counted in the unemployment figures...we really don't want you to have a bad experience by coming here just b/c you can't find work....we actually all love living here, and if you can come and have a job, or you can afford to live w/out a job for a year or more, definitely come b/c this is a great area to live.
I can answer your question about contract jobs. NO - they are not counted in the unemployment figures. This is a government tracking system and relies on who has filed w/ ESC as its main basis for data. And yes, you are correct. Our real figure is closer to 13%.

The posted rate also does not take into consideration people who have taken part time jobs when they really wanted full time jobs. Once they no longer qualify for ESC bennies, they are off the roles and it appears the rate has gone down, but in reality, these are folks who are still very much underemployed.

The figures also cannot tell the story about salaries and who may have taken a job at a big drop in hourly wages or salary.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 AM

11 posts, read 43,833 times
Default My Take

Here are my answers to the questions that I actually know something about.

How are the schools really?? As a former CMS teacher, I want to tell you truthfully that, in my educated, experienced opinion, CMS does not value teachers, and NC doesn't, in my experience (PA native), value education the way that education is valued up north. You said something about wanting to avoid "messed up" school systems. Well, I would send my own child to a good Charlotte elementary school if I had to but would seek private school after elementary. I believe that there are many dedicated teachers,etc. in the schools but that the resources and value of education are missing.

I know traffic is bad during the rush hours, but coming out of NYC I am used to that, how is the public transportation system??

What public transportation system? The bus system here is what it is; I wouldn't ride it if I didn't have to. When comparing this system to any major city's public transportation, I think it is a zero from zero to ten.

My wife and I are Jewish, and while I am not concerned about us I am concerned about my daughter being the only Jew in School/class. I know Charlotte has a Jewish population, but does this extend out to the lakes?

Depending upon where you go, there are people here from all over, so your daughter wouldn't be alone.

There still seems to be a good deal of Commercial development going on, but I saw allot of empty stores. Any idea what that is all about?

I am not sure, but I've been here five years, and there are more empty stores popping up all over...

I got the rah-rah Charlotte is great speech from the realtor, im looking for what’s wrong with this area information.

Charlotte: The Good
1. Compared with the weather up north, the weather here is great. I think the weather is really one of the best things about Charlotte.
2. Depending upon where you move, you have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. For example, not a single person in my neigborhood is from NC; we are from all over.

Charlotte: The Bad
1. Schools
2. Workers' Rights--Coming from a union state (I'm not advocating unions.), I have been shocked at the way people are treated here; many don't even realize it!
3. Charlotte is still a southern town with a southern, good old boy mentality. The question is whether or not you want to live the southern way of life or at least adapt to it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or