Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 AM

32 posts, read 77,027 times

Advertisements

Let's hope they pay attention - I have met at least ten couples this summer who moved here from the north thinking Charlotte still had a hot job market. They are all un- or under-employed and in shock wondering what next. They saw the home prices, the old articles about good times down here, and came down, bought houses for half the price of their old ones - and now can't make the payments. When will people learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
It seems we in Charlotte are faced with the same problem that those in california had during the DUST BOWL DEPRESSION. All these farmers who lost their dryed up farms and other drifters decided to move to california because they heard it was a mecca for jobs and very much like the famous Land of OZ. It took the police to guard the roads stoping people who just wanted to move there and didnt have a job.Maybe since we are in another depression we need this sort of thing now...or maybe a job tax to those who want to work here and havent been living here paying taxes like the locals have.

So in your scenario, what would qualify you as a local?
worked there for 6 months? a year? 2 years
Born there?

I wonder what percentage of people in Charlotte who earn more than the average wage are natives of NC?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:17 AM

38 posts, read 130,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDGandhi View Post
Let's hope they pay attention - I have met at least ten couples this summer who moved here from the north thinking Charlotte still had a hot job market. They are all un- or under-employed and in shock wondering what next. They saw the home prices, the old articles about good times down here, and came down, bought houses for half the price of their old ones - and now can't make the payments. When will people learn?
Example: Was chatting at a Harris Teeter with a guy who is from Long Island, New York, heard about how "cheap" the houses are and knew the weather was better. And he was working with outdated info on a booming pre-bust Charlotte economy. He bought a McMansion in Waxhaw, but now can't find more than 15 hours a week of freelance work for peanuts, more than a year after his move. He's sweating the costs, and is at a serious networking disadvantage since he hardly knows anybody here. He's 51, and thought he'd jump into one last good job, before transition into retirement. Now the house is an albatross. Oh, and being from a city environment he's bored out of his mind and learned he hates semi-rural living in Union County.

I feel bad for the guy. But it's a classic case of how the area is "importing" unemployment.

There are vast swaths of this country with low living costs and nice weather (much cheaper than Charlotte, actually). None of it means anything if you're struggling to support yourself, and don't have friends and family nearby for support.

Last edited by Casey123; 07-16-2009 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, it sure makes for a gazillion resumes/applications sitting on someone's desk for every job opening. I don't know that it makes it harder for those who are already here, tho. The truth about getting a job is . . . networking often is the key. People tend to hire people who are recommended to them by someone they trust . . . or they hire people they know . . . so I would think that on that level, a newcomer is at a big disadvantage for landing a job cold turkey.
That is something that I really hate. I have lived here since 1989, but, networking is just not something that I am good at. Nor is my son. (he is actually much worse). We are hard workers...can work circles around anyone. Just not great at that whole social thing. As a result, my son has been out of work since January and I would probably be the same way.

Networking to get a job is not common up north, so, that is why the folks stream here thinking that there are a lot of jobs here. They do not understand what it takes to get a job here. It is a mess!!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,950 times
I'm a native Charlottean. Self employed with no business debt. Own rental property that is all debt free. My business is doing better this year than in the past 5 years. And I have no personal consumer debt. I'm fortunate but I'm a realist. Things are going to get much worse for the unprepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I wonder what percentage of people in Charlotte who earn more than the average wage are natives of NC?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
I'm a native Charlottean. Self employed with no business debt. Own rental property that is all debt free. My business is doing better this year than in the past 5 years. And I have no personal consumer debt. I'm fortunate but I'm a realist. Things are going to get much worse for the unprepared!
Well it's always easier to be a realist when you are fortunate

We are moving from the UK-husband is already there and working,probably for a lot less than many others with a Masters degree.I won't be working as don't have a visa to work, although do have a job offer.
We will live very comfortably on his wage (maybe that's more palatable than saying lower COL), compared to here in the UK on two wages, but it's all about what you expect. We don't "want" a lot-the space, varied scenery,the polite (mostly) people, more things for families, the chance to explore the USA and the weather will be enough for us.
We will not have any debt.
We researched many states in the US and then after we chose NC researched 3 different areas and eventually decided on the Charlotte area. We have visited the area twice to 3 times a year for the past 5 years.
Hopefully we will be happy.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,022,585 times
Quote:

We are moving from the UK-husband is already there and working,probably for a lot less than many others with a Masters degree.I won't be working as don't have a visa to work, although do have a job offer.
We will live very comfortably on his wage (maybe that's more palatable than saying lower COL), compared to here in the UK on two wages, but it's all about what you expect. We don't "want" a lot-the space, varied scenery,the polite (mostly) people, more things for families, the chance to explore the USA and the weather will be enough for us.
We researched many states in the US and then after we chose NC researched 3 different areas and eventually decided on the Charlotte area. We have visited the area twice to 3 times a year for the past 5 years.
And if you need any British items we can find some right here in Charlotte

Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
So in your scenario, what would qualify you as a local?
worked there for 6 months? a year? 2 years
Born there?

Well, about 3/4 of the people born in this state, die in this state. Although Charlotte has had a huge influx of newcomers in the last decade or so, most areas of NC are still populated by natives.

The difference b/n "local" and "native" would be . . . anyone born here is a native. A "local" could refer to someone who has moved here and been here long enough to pay taxes, thus binding him to the community as a tax paying citizen.

A lot of the people out of work here are those who were recruited here for a job, so they are not natives, but they are locals.

Have never seen any study breaking down household income by native versus newcomer status. I can speak for my family and friends (who are natives), nearly all of whom have advanced degrees and make more $$ the the city, state or national median.

There seems to be a misconception about natives being uneducated and not landing the best jobs here, LOL. Don't know that is what you meant, Susan, but thought I would clear that up. NC has a very robust higher education system and the majority of students are in-state students. Those that stay here remain b/c they have been able to establish careers and make good salaries - otherwise, they would leave to establish careers in other areas.

The natives who were blue collar workers are the ones who have suffered most w/ unemployment over the last 10=15 years (textile and furniture mill closures). White collar workers here in Charlotte who have been laid off from banks were more often newcomers than natives. Charlotte was never known as a big banking/finance center until the last 15 years.

Over the last 30 years, the advice from guidance counselors (and parents) has been - if we wished to stay in this state, biotech, teaching, healthcare, engineering were the job sectors to stay in (add legal professions - attorneys/paralegals - we have several fine law schools here). If you liked finance, be a CPA. Marketing - not so much (field has been crowded for several decades).

Recruitment for jobs in IT and banking has been VERY heavy in Charlotte, and thus, most of the people laid off from those jobs are not natives. I have a huge extended family here - and not one of them is in banking. We have attorneys, CPAs, healthcare, ministers and teachers/professors and some folks who own businesses . . . but not one person in banking. None of my friends who are natives are in banking, either.

I think forum members would attest that - if they have worked in banking here - the majority of their coworkers (at the management level, especially) were people who had moved to this area - not natives.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
And if you need any British items we can find some right here in Charlotte
Thanks, but I don't think I will be needing anything British.
As long as we can occasionally get some European chocolate from ALDI and I get my expresso coffee I will be just fine!

Actually my Mother had trouble finding dates and maybe walnuts, when she wanted to cook a cake.I think she eventually got them at Fresh Market, but it's a bit hazy!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:

You'll be happy. Promise! You are gonna like folks here. The people who have moved here and are into conspicuous consumerism will be easy to spot - and avoid. Most of the folks who have come to NC came b/c of jobs and the desire to relocate b/c they felt it was a good place to raise a family. That means - we all have the same goals - stable communities w/ a good standard of living. And I have found 99% of the newcomers are eager to make friends, get active in their communities and live a peaceful life. Plus there are other people from the UK here . . . Trust me on this: you are gonna like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte