Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

CJ - "Hope and Change" is what you'll need to make it through the new tollbooths. Hope you held on to your old E-Z Pass (sleazypass) unit if you had one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The only reason Raleigh Bev won was because she rode the coattails of Obamas hope and change plain and simple. She's a weak candidate who favors the eastern side of the state.

If you don't see that or didn't think that would happen your blind (not YOU personally but anyone)
I'm not familar with NC politics, but I could have sworn that McCory won this area in the last election. And I could have sworn that someone posted on this board that the state(in general) typically votes democratic when it comes to Gov but Repub when it comes to Pres.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm not familar with NC politics, but I could have sworn that McCory won this area in the last election. And I could have sworn that someone posted on this board that the state(in general) typically votes democratic when it comes to Gov but Repub when it comes to Pres.
baybook - McCrory lost Mecklenberg in the election. That was a surprise to me, that he couldn't carry his "home" county!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Blaming the Dem straight line voters is silly. It's funny to see posts here planning on doing the exact same thing in 2012 - straight line GOP? Yeah, that makes sense.

The real blame is with the GOP who should be embarrassed to no end... they are the ones that who let you down. They are the ones who ruined that party. Planning on straight line voting them is chasing a bad mistake with another real bad move.

Vote the person, not the party.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Blaming the Dem straight line voters is silly. It's funny to see posts here planning on doing the exact same thing in 2012 - straight line GOP? Yeah, that makes sense.

The real blame is with the GOP who should be embarrassed to no end... they are the ones that who let you down. They are the ones who ruined that party. Planning on straight line voting them is chasing a bad mistake with another real bad move.

Didn't the state decide to do away with straight-line voting come next election?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:

I didn't vote straight line but I didn't vote for Raleigh Bev either...

I agree w/you on what you said...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
baybook - McCrory lost Mecklenberg in the election. That was a surprise to me, that he couldn't carry his "home" county!
I looked it up a moment ago. I'm suprised. Maybe he was ahead earlier in the evening and I assumed.

I voted for him as gov, but Dem for president. I thought the straight party option was a very poor set up.

Am I corect otherwise? You guys (the state) have voted for a democratic governor since at least 92. That's as far back as I could go on the election website.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
Quote:

OK so you say vote the person too so what's so silly? You don't want Rep voting straightline in 2012 and we are disappointed Dems voted straightline b/c of Obama and did not stop to think about what was in our area's best interest regarding Perdue vs McCrory.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I looked it up a moment ago. I'm suprised. Maybe he was ahead earlier in the evening and I assumed.

I voted for him as gov, but Dem for president. I thought the straight party option was a very poor set up.
You sound like me!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The only reason Raleigh Bev won was because she rode the coattails of Obamas hope and change plain and simple. She's a weak candidate who favors the eastern side of the state.

If you don't see that or didn't think that would happen your blind (not YOU personally but anyone)
I've heard McCrory say this but the fact of the matter is that it is not held up by statistics. McCrory failed to hold on to GOP voters who went for McCain.

President
  • Obama/Biden - 2,142,651
  • McCain/Palin - 2,128,474
  • Barr (L) - 25,722
  • WriteIn - 13,942
  • Total - 4,310,789
Governor
  • Perdue - 2,146,189
  • McCrory - 2,001,168
  • Munger (L) - 121,584
  • Total - 4,268,941
Take note that Obama did not take 50% of the NC vote. A majority of NC voters did not vote for him. The Obama "change we can believe in" mind control only affected 49.7% of the vote. 2,168,138 voters are not under Obama's spells which is more than enough to win the governor's seat. McCrory still has a chance. So where did he have his epic fail?

The biggest reason, McCrory could not hold on to the McCain voters. 127,206 McCain/Palin voters did not vote for McCrory. Either they didn't vote at all, they voted for Munger, or gasp, they crossed party lines and voted for Perdue. Perdue, unlike Obama, got 50.27% of the state vote. Not a bad showing for a person you are calling a weak candidate.

The second and even more damning reason is that McCrory could not even pull down a majority of the vote in his home county, Mecklenburg. Now in Mecklenburg his Charlotte advantage actually snagged him 54,618 Obama votes that should have gone to Perdue. However where McCrory completely failed is that in the suburban GOP dominated districts, turnout was very low. McCrory should have cleaned house in these districts but they choose not to vote at all. It is especially damning for him when you consider that in these places very efficient and convenient early voting was available weeks before the election. I chalk this up in part to the fact that McCrory has paid scant attention and even fought against places like Huntersville, Cornelius, Mint Hill, Matthews, etc. These places potentially had enough votes for him to throw him way over the top for governor.

Bottom line is that McCrory lost for two real reasons. He sucked as a candidate. He ran a Mickey Mouse campaign that was operated by political neophytes. This including such things as spelling Governor wrong when he announced his candidacy to his nephew getting caught making fake blog posts on newspapers. McCrory has never had a hard election and never had to face anything outside the bubble of downtown Charlotte. The other reason is that he came off as disingenous to the Dixiecrats down East. These are the people who usually vote for the GOP for president and they turned and voted for Perdue instead. His whole campaign appeared to be to insult all of the political establishment in NC, and hope to make up the difference with the home town advantage of the huge population of Mecklenburg. It was a simplistic plan that fell on its face.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-16-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte