Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM

47 posts, read 120,938 times

Advertisements

thanks kmway, so what's the opinion on how far outside the actually city is ideal to live. it doesnt seem like people on this forum actually like being too close to downtown (or uptown?). might just be a misunderstanding on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltideroll View Post
thanks kmway, so what's the opinion on how far outside the actually city is ideal to live. it doesnt seem like people on this forum actually like being too close to downtown (or uptown?). might just be a misunderstanding on my part.
It is a misunderstanding Being in uptown, or in the areas east and south of uptown is very desirable for a lot of folks. In fact, some of the priciest and most beautiful homes in Charlotte are near uptown. It is just very expensive to live there, in the nice areas. Kmway has given you good advice Avoid east and west Charlotte and you will be a lot safer. In your price range there will be many apartments or homes you can check out around town. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
lovesmountains is right! Some people on the forum just don't prefer urban living, but that doesn't mean it's not a good place to live. Preferences vary. But as she said, some of the priciest homes are in the updown vicinity. I'd live there if I could find a place that was more of a row-house style in my price range rather than a condo.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM

thanks a lot for your posts kmway and loves mountains, i have so many questoins and thank you for your help. here's maybe a tougher question for ya. in your honest opinion, if you were just looking to move to charlotte, where is your first area you would look into. (i think we have the same preferences)

Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
thanks a lot for your posts kmway and loves mountains, i have so many questoins and thank you for your help. here's maybe a tougher question for ya. in your honest opinion, if you were just looking to move to charlotte, where is your first area you would look into. (i think we have the same preferences)
I am partial to my end of town, south Charlotte BUT, I know others who live north of town (Huntersville, ect) that love it there! Oh, the buffet of life in Charlotte....

Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Well, it would depend on the price range:
400k+: myers park or dilworth, uptown area
300-400k: southpark/southeast charlotte and the above
200-300k: Lake norman (huntersville/davidson/cornelius) and the above
130-200k: huntersville, prosperity rd area of the university and the above

The reason I put "and the above" is because sometimes you can find places for 160k in SE Charlotte, but not often.....so basically what I am saying is that I feel these price ranges are the average for those areas, but sometimes you can find a "gem" in areas you think are out of your range! I do my search on allentate.com (no I am not an agent or affiliated with them) I think that is an easy to navigate listing of the MLS for the Charlotte area.

I don't know if this helps at all

Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 AM

thanks a lot, im actually looking to rent right now, but that still gives me a good idea. i appreciate it!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Sorry, what price range?

My choices would be:
1000+: uptown, gateway area is my favorite
Anything 800-1000 can get you a nice apt in pretty much any area. If it was me I'd go uptown to Post Gateway or off Poplar Street.
Less than $800: There are cute one-bedrooms in the above areas on special and I'd try the one bedrooms in Huntersville off of exit 25.

Also, consider Southpark. You can get killer apt. deals off of Fairview (thanks to two months free pro-rated throughout the term of the lease, my friend got an apt. there for around $650 month!)

Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM

thanks kmway, i definitely have to get a house, its for me and my girlfriend, as well as our two dogs. we are able to spend as much as 1200/ month, though 800 - 1000 is more ideal. we would like to be close to the actual city, but a nice area will definitely take precedence over closeness to the city. i dont know what the commutes to downtown (or uptown) is like. where we are now (in Hartford, CT) is less than 5 miles to downtown, but can take as much as a half hour to get there sometimes. so any area that can get us to the city relatively easy would be great, but we dont want to sacrifice living in a safe area.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
thanks kmway, i definitely have to get a house, its for me and my girlfriend, as well as our two dogs. we are able to spend as much as 1200/ month, though 800 - 1000 is more ideal. we would like to be close to the actual city, but a nice area will definitely take precedence over closeness to the city. i dont know what the commutes to downtown (or uptown) is like. where we are now (in Hartford, CT) is less than 5 miles to downtown, but can take as much as a half hour to get there sometimes. so any area that can get us to the city relatively easy would be great, but we dont want to sacrifice living in a safe area.
I'll post some ideas for you shortly

On another note, are you a Bama graduate??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte