Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 AM

6 posts, read 14,669 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to rent my place for the past month and no luck. Its a great place with lots of character, 2 bedroom - 2 bath. Hardwood floors throughout, firepace, vualted cielings, walk-in closets, and private bathrooms for both bedrooms. Located just a half mile from Quail Corners off of Park Road and can't seem to get any decent renters. Anyone got any ideas?

**I have people call and ask if the price is negotiable - I'm asking $1,100 for 1,400 place and people will offer me $600 a month??

**I have people call and ask if they have to sign a lease and if the security deposit required - are apartment complexes that desperate they aren't having people do this anymore??

**I want just 1 room for $550 - The potential renters want me to find them a roommate?? There is just way to much liability on my end to do that and I shouldn't be left to do that.

I am having an open house this weekend and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Due to the mortgage and HOA fees, my monthly price can't be lowered. I have offered a $200 referral to anyone for helping me find renters and $150 Harris Teeter card to the renter for moving in August 1st.

I'm at a loss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Just a thought, but if you are located near some schools, I wonder if you could shop the idea to potential new teachers in the area. My daughter is a recent college graduate, going into teaching. At some point, she will need housing near whatever school hires her. At a starting teacher salary, she could use a roommate, also, but if you had friends in the school office (maybe office staff who would like your referral fee), they might be inclined to make copy of your ad available to potential renters?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 14,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Just a thought, but if you are located near some schools, I wonder if you could shop the idea to potential new teachers in the area. My daughter is a recent college graduate, going into teaching. At some point, she will need housing near whatever school hires her. At a starting teacher salary, she could use a roommate, also, but if you had friends in the school office (maybe office staff who would like your referral fee), they might be inclined to make copy of your ad available to potential renters?
Thats a great idea! My house is located right next to South Mecklenburg High School and Middle School. I will try calling over there today.

If your daughter is able to post or email an ad for me to some of the new teachers and someone responds, I would be happy to give a new teacher $200!!! Let me know.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd1222 View Post
I have been trying to rent my place for the past month and no luck. Its a great place with lots of character, 2 bedroom - 2 bath. Hardwood floors throughout, firepace, vualted cielings, walk-in closets, and private bathrooms for both bedrooms. Located just a half mile from Quail Corners off of Park Road and can't seem to get any decent renters. Anyone got any ideas?

**I have people call and ask if the price is negotiable - I'm asking $1,100 for 1,400 place and people will offer me $600 a month??

**I have people call and ask if they have to sign a lease and if the security deposit required - are apartment complexes that desperate they aren't having people do this anymore??

**I want just 1 room for $550 - The potential renters want me to find them a roommate?? There is just way to much liability on my end to do that and I shouldn't be left to do that.

I am having an open house this weekend and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Due to the mortgage and HOA fees, my monthly price can't be lowered. I have offered a $200 referral to anyone for helping me find renters and $150 Harris Teeter card to the renter for moving in August 1st.

I'm at a loss...
I'm smiling as this is so true of renting. Lots of "crazies" out there especially since they heard people are "desperate". Hang tough and do not lower you level of caution, security, and checking the people out. IF you do, I will tell you (with experience of renting hundreds of apts), you will get BURNT. Take advantage of all my experience in renting and get your FREE education here.
John

Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,264 times
My friend had to take a loss to rent out her townhouse...there are just so many out there for rent. She has taken the attitude that some money each month is better than none at all. Can you lower the price at all?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
. She has taken the attitude that some money each month is better than none at all.
This not always the case.Many times this will result in getting" the tenant from hell." Non-payment. Damage. Drug dealing and then some.

Just finished reading an article about a family that was so stricken with heath problems that they were near death and had to move from their home. Why? Previous renter was a producer of meth. So containmenated the house city forced them to leave AND demanded the owner to correct the condition. They are losing the house.

Don't take renting lightly. A few bux is not the answer to today's housing woes.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
My landlord very graciously lowered his rent amount, in exchange for me being OK with him not repainting... the amount he saved in doing that just about equalled it out. He also didn't want his place to sit empty any longer.

I'm a good tenant, very stable, but what I could afford to pay at the time I signed the lease would have put us in the middle of crackville. (Livable wages, anyone? For someone making minimum wage, their rent would need to be $377/month. Try finding that in Charlotte!) In the time I've been here, I've worked to raise my income so I could either afford the rent here when we renegotiate the lease, or at least move someplace safe. Sometimes it works out to lower the rent amount.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Ads will bring out the crazies. A sign out front (if allowed by HOA) will bring in people who like the area and are driving around looking for something. If in a HOA area, do they have a newsletter you could put an ad in? Or a nearby HOA w/newsletter? Sometimes existing owners/renters have friends or family who would like to live there, also. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM

87 posts, read 274,423 times
Dealing with renters in general will probably always be somekind of headache or another for you. Why not just try to sell it and get out why you can?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM

223 posts, read 531,627 times
I would not lower your price, and I would be extremely cautious as it is still your home. Unfortunately you can not trust people in this day in age. Everybody wants something for nothing............be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: