Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times

Advertisements

I would suspect that for a small builder it would be more important to "stay in business" than just to fold up your tent and move on. Reason being,a business needs to be in the business of "being in business". There are crews you have put together. People that you have employed and trained you don't want to lose. Contacts in the industry you don't want to lose. And, land that you might have bought some time back that you need to develope or____________?

Once you give that all up, and perhaps the only business you know is developing, what do you do now?

je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
Neighbors stage "For Sale" sign protest - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/422/story/840868.html - broken link)

It's not just the "little guy". So what's happening in the above case in Harrisburg, or what was going to happen is that the builder (Lennar) sold houses in the 400K range in this community and now just so they can keep building, they are wanting to switch gears and build houses inthe same community for $200K.

I say good for the residents of the community for fighting back! You've got to protect your property values at all costs

Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
^^^^^^ More or less what I said in post #5 yesterday. Big problem.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Yes I have to agree with that story in the Observer. They are selling my same home for $234K and I paid $289k just a year ago. That's almost a 25% decrease. Putting the nail in the coffin: They are no longer building my model in the community anymore!!!!!

Now their homes are starting at 199K..

Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes I have to agree with that story in the Observer. They are selling my same home for $234K and I paid $289k just a year ago. That's almost a 25% decrease. Putting the nail in the coffin: They are no longer building my model in the community anymore!!!!!

Now their homes are starting at 199K..
And this is going on in many areas - and is of great concern to those who bought in a subdivision expecting/believing that things would progress as outlined on the sales material.

In a way, it is like breaking faith w/ the folks who built the first homes in the subdivision. They bought a package deal - a vision for their neighborhood - and now they feel betrayed. I would definitely feel betrayed!!!!

But yeah - as John said - it is a way for the builders to stay in business. And if you can't sell anything but homes under $200,000 - that's gonna be where the contractors go.

This country is going thru/ a very discouraging transition as wages go down and lenders tighten the grip on mortgage lending.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Lower end models or different builders coming in are basically the norm now....

Builders are looking for "anything" to sell to potential buyers....

This is one of the potential pitfalls of building a home in an area w/new construction. (vs an established neighborhood). We all knew that this could happen...its just no one expected it would in a million years.

Lesson is never treat the unlikely as impossible.....

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Lower end models or different builders coming in are basically the norm now....

Builders are looking for "anything" to sell to potential buyers....

This is one of the potential pitfalls of building a home in an area w/new construction. (vs an established neighborhood). We all knew that this could happen...its just no one expected it would in a million years.

Lesson is never treat the unlikely as impossible.....
I knew it could and most likely would happen. You have seen me continually advise newcomers to consider older, established neighborhoods w/ re-sales and mature landscaping. I have never recommended new subdivisions to anyone as I don't trust that development will stay consistent. Since 1985, I have only bought in a new subdivision if I could get in on the last homes in the last phase - for this very reason.

I have seen it happen back in the early 80s when there was another recession that laid off construction workers and made getting a mortgage very difficult. We had 13% mortgages back then and people were going for bargain basement homes. If you didn't have 20% down, you didn't get a mortgage, period. If you look around the Charlotte area, you will find that most of the homes built in the 80s were built in 1985 or later. The rates started going down in 1985. I would love to be able to pull up real estate stats from 1982,83,84. It would tell a story, I am sure.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Well, the good news is that my next door neighbour, who has been out of work for 6+ years is working again!!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, the good news is that my next door neighbour, who has been out of work for 6+ years is working again!!
Six years? How the heck did he/she survive for six years????

Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
sorry...6 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte