U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 7,420 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know forum admins and moderators hate people like me who don't do a ton of digging for answers. So I'll openly admit I am overwhelmed and after reading a few threads haven't found one that answers all my questions. My apologies to the server gods.

I'll give a little background as a start...

My daughter and I are southern girls but have been in New England for a couple of years now and found we miss the south. Sorry to those of you from this area but it's just not the same. I spent half my life north of Winston and the other half in Birmingham with the last two here as I mentioned. I've focused on my career and am in a place where I can look at moving back to the region I love so much. Recently, I was approached by a company in High Point and am serious about accepting the position and will make the decision within the upcoming weeks.

The wonderful thing about my job is that I'm pretty free to choose my base just so long as I stay within some standard criteria like being within a reasonable distance of a major airport and interstate (I do a good amount of traveling). From the outside, Charlotte appears to fit my needs.

Since there's no "live here" guide, you guys are my best option.

I don't want to be IN the city and am more concerned with a quality education for my daughter within a reasonable driving distance (30-45 minutes). I would like to be on the south eastern side of the city IF that area is a good area. If I'm wrong about the driving time to the airport, please correct me.

Reasoning behind the choice of area is a little complicated but I'll try to simplify...My brother will be at Lejeune shortly after we are looking to make the move, the closer the better. My grandmother lives just over the border in Greenwood. I have friends in Wilmington and Charleston. I still need to be within a reasonable access time to the airport but have heard the south eastern side of the city is a better area. Hopefully you can all connect those dots, I know it's somewhat scattered.

I'm only looking to get into a nice apartment for now and if all works out buy a home once I'm familiar with the area.

SO, I'm looking for recommendations on schools, apartments, or even just general thoughts about specific areas.

I'm Emily, by the way, thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msnthesouth View Post
Ok, I know forum admins and moderators hate people like me who don't do a ton of digging for answers. So I'll openly admit I am overwhelmed and after reading a few threads haven't found one that answers all my questions. My apologies to the server gods.

I'll give a little background as a start...

My daughter and I are southern girls but have been in New England for a couple of years now and found we miss the south. Sorry to those of you from this area but it's just not the same. I spent half my life north of Winston and the other half in Birmingham with the last two here as I mentioned. I've focused on my career and am in a place where I can look at moving back to the region I love so much. Recently, I was approached by a company in High Point and am serious about accepting the position and will make the decision within the upcoming weeks.

The wonderful thing about my job is that I'm pretty free to choose my base just so long as I stay within some standard criteria like being within a reasonable distance of a major airport and interstate (I do a good amount of traveling). From the outside, Charlotte appears to fit my needs.

Since there's no "live here" guide, you guys are my best option.

I don't want to be IN the city and am more concerned with a quality education for my daughter within a reasonable driving distance (30-45 minutes). I would like to be on the south eastern side of the city IF that area is a good area. If I'm wrong about the driving time to the airport, please correct me.

Reasoning behind the choice of area is a little complicated but I'll try to simplify...My brother will be at Lejeune shortly after we are looking to make the move, the closer the better. My grandmother lives just over the border in Greenwood. I have friends in Wilmington and Charleston. I still need to be within a reasonable access time to the airport but have heard the south eastern side of the city is a better area. Hopefully you can all connect those dots, I know it's somewhat scattered.

I'm only looking to get into a nice apartment for now and if all works out buy a home once I'm familiar with the area.

SO, I'm looking for recommendations on schools, apartments, or even just general thoughts about specific areas.

I'm Emily, by the way, thanks for any help.

Emily, welcome to the Charlotte forum! We will all try to help you, but you have to help us - how much can you spend on rent and how old is your daughter??

Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Hi, thanks a million!

I'm looking for 2-3 bedrooms, 13-1500/month.

My daughter is 9 and going into 4th grade and a quality school sits atop the list of priorities.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks a million!

I'm looking for 2-3 bedrooms, 13-1500/month.

My daughter is 9 and going into 4th grade and a quality school sits atop the list of priorities.
In your price range you will have many options - including nice home rentals, or do you just prefer an apartment?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In your price range you will have many options - including nice home rentals, or do you just prefer an apartment?
Either works but being in an apartment seems to be the better option mostly because I don't want to be stuck with a yard to mow. LOL!!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Either works but being in an apartment seems to be the better option mostly because I don't want to be stuck with a yard to mow. LOL!!
While there are many nice areas and schools all around Charlotte, especially n that price range, you expressed interest in south Charlotte so I will tell you to look for apartment complexes whose kids are assigned to schools like Elizabeth Lane Elementary, Providence Spring, Elon, Hawk Ridge or Matthews Elementary

Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM

In particular, I'd start here - these are my favorites in your price range:

Home

http://www.liveatblakeney.com/apartm...plans_pricing/

Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In particular, I'd start here - these are my favorites in your price range:

Home

Floorplans/Pricing
Oh you rock!

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Nice neighborhood! And you tackled my next question of whether or not the area is within a reasonable distance to shops and restaurants.

Any specific areas to steer clear of? I think we're sticking with the south east area of Charlotte though.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Oh you rock!

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Nice neighborhood! And you tackled my next question of whether or not the area is within a reasonable distance to shops and restaurants.

Any specific areas to steer clear of? I think we're sticking with the south east area of Charlotte though.
In your price range I can think of no place to tell you to steer clear of in south Charlotte. Look for one of those schools I listed and you'll end up in a nice location

Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Near as I can tell that area is filled with country clubs, is that pretty standard throughout Charlotte? And is the traffic atrocious as a result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or