U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 37,801 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just came back from my weekend trip and I can say my son an I fell in love with the area and can't wait to make the move. I orginally planned on moving to Matthews but my realtor also showed us some houses in Mint Hill and later I also drove around Pineville. All of these areas I love and is in my price range. Since I appreciate everyone's advice here, I wonder is there any real difference, which would I feel more comfortable as an African American female? Any pros or cons on each would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_roz View Post
Hello everyone,

I just came back from my weekend trip and I can say my son an I fell in love with the area and can't wait to make the move. I orginally planned on moving to Matthews but my realtor also showed us some houses in Mint Hill and later I also drove around Pineville. All of these areas I love and is in my price range. Since I appreciate everyone's advice here, I wonder is there any real difference, which would I feel more comfortable as an African American female? Any pros or cons on each would be appreciated. Thanks.
How old is your son? A lot should depend on which school he would be assigned to wherever you buy.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 AM

240 posts, read 928,235 times
Based on my personal preferences, I'd rank them in the order that you listed... Matthews, Mint Hill, and then Pineville.

Matthews is one of my favorite towns in the Charlotte area. I really like the "old town" feel near the main part of town (Trade and John St). But there is also a lot of shopping nearby on both Independence Blvd and Pineville Matthews Rd/Matthews Mint Hill Rd (the road changes names in Matthews, but it's route 51). Schools, in general, are rated very well. And it's an easy trip into Charlotte for work, or to the university area for work/shopping. It's also within a 15 minute drive of Carolina Place mall, The Arboretum shopping center (which is huge) and all of the nice shopping around the Ballantyne area (Ballantyne Village, Stonecrest, Blakeney, Promenade on Providence, Rea Village, etc).

Mint Hill is one town northeast of Matthews. So it's still very convenient to shopping and employment areas. Schools are also ranked pretty well for the most part, although some parts of town fall into some schools that are rated worse (I'd say the east part of town falls into highly rated schools, but as you go further west in town towards Charlotte, you have a chance of falling into some lower rated schools). Mint Hill is not as well developed as Matthews, so it has more of a rural feel to it. There is some decent shopping in town, and more is on its way (new strip mall opening on rt 51 at some point over the summer I believe, and a huge new outdoor mall is supposed to start construction shortly).

Pineville, to me, feels too congested. Between all of the shopping and the Pineville Hospital, there are cars everywhere along rt 51 for a good part of the day). To me, it feel like more of a place to go for shopping than a place to call home. I don't know much about the schools in that area either because I never really considered living there

The Charlotte area, in general, is relatively diverse in population, so I don't think you'd feel uncomfortable at all regardless of the area you choose.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:45 AM

18,433 posts, read 29,484,893 times
I agree with the fact that Pineville is a bit congested... I do like Matthews and Mint Hill, though. In that order. My kids can't wait to go down and see what its like!!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM

83 posts, read 362,973 times
Matthews all the way!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,883,212 times
Anything to the south is congested ...if you work in uptown make sure you have patience when driving to work every day.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 AM

14 posts, read 37,801 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for everyone's opinion. I just love reading posts on this forum. When I visted it was on a Sunday so traffic was not bad but I am leading towards Matthews. My son is 10 and we really liked the area and the housing was right up my alley. So thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM

26 posts, read 66,904 times
Default Mint Hill

We are moving to Mint Hill from California in July. We recently bought a home in the "Farmwood" area of Mint Hill. We love the fact that there is plenty of yard and trees and quiet. I am African American and so far, judging from the people we've met in Mint Hill things awiil be great. I plan to join the Country Club there as well!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 AM

255 posts, read 801,714 times
All depends on where you work.

If you work uptown I recommend Pineville for sure.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:22 PM

26 posts, read 66,904 times
Default Broadband Internet in Mint Hill

Can someone give me the names of Broadband Internet companies that you are having success with. I will need to get connected within the next three weeks snd I want to do some research prior, moving from Los Angeles to Mint Hill!

I will be working with the Charlotte Music Awards as well as The North Carolina Walk of Fame and will need major connectability source!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or