Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM

87 posts, read 274,522 times

Advertisements

We'll be going to Pigeon Forge in the next couple of days for vacation and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what we should do while we are there. Best places to eat at and sites to see? We're going to Dollywood and have been to the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
We'll be going to Pigeon Forge in the next couple of days for vacation and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what we should do while we are there. Best places to eat at and sites to see? We're going to Dollywood and have been to the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for the suggestions.
You might want to ask on the Knoxville forum.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
We took the kids to Dollywood this past Spring and it was the absolutely most fabulous place...clean...orderly...and my absolute favorite was that they hire a lot of retirees to run the games & ride and they are WONDERFUL! Anyway...it was the best amusement park experience that I have ever had and the first one I was constantly paranoid about my children's safety! As for eating...it is full of chains...not a Fine Dining mecca..LOL. We also had a great time mini golfing there...they have a some great courses. Have Fun!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 AM

18 posts, read 36,156 times
You've got to go to Cades Cove- its probably a 40 min drive from Pigeon Forge.Its a driving tour through the scenic park and you really do see ALL kinds of wildlife. You will def see deer and very possibly a bear. I'd plan on it taking up 3 or 4 hours but well worth it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 AM

380 posts, read 1,757,232 times
We do a lot of hiking here. Go up to Clingman's Dome, but go early in the morning before clouds form. Love the hike to Laurel falls. We love to take a picnic and go to Chimney Tops area. The kids always love climbing on those big rocks in the creek. As far as restaurants two of my personal favorites are in Gatlinburg - Smokey Mountian Brewery. I don't like beer but love their pizza. Bennetts BBQ off of light 9.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
My DH and I go there quite a bit. We usually stay in Gatlinburg but you will usually find less expensive hotels in Pigeon Forge.

There are loads of activties for kids in PF and Gatlinburg. Just drive down the street.
Gatlinburg has Ripleys Believe it or Not and the Aquarium of the Smokies. Both are popular spots for families.
My all time favorite place to eat is "Bubba Gumps" in Gatlinburg. Fun atmosphere and good food. Also, The Old Mill Restaurant in PF has great down home cooking but prepare to take home leftovers. They have HUGE portions. Get there early since it is popular and the line gets long.

A trip to the area is not complete without visiting the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There are many beautiful hikes, waterfalls and historical locations to see.
An easy hike for the whole family would be Laurel Falls as it is a paved trail to the falls. We LOVE the Chimney Tops and Alum Cave Bluffs trails but they are more strenuous and will require about 4 hours roundtrip. If you try them, wear good hiking shoes and bring water and snacks.

The Motor Nature Trail will take you by a historic homestead and a couple nice hiking trails with waterfalls.

If you love to shop, there is a terrific Tanger Outlet in PF.

I suggest going online and looking up the National Park and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Visitors Centers. Loads of info that will help you plan you trip based upon your interests. Also, bring good walking shoes as you will be doing a lot of it.

While visiting, take note that many traffic signals are marked with a Number hanging beside the signal in both Gatlinburg and PF. When looking up info, try and find out what traffic light # it is close to. This will help you to easily find your way around. I've included a link to a map below. Note the major intersections are marked with a signal and it's number.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Gatlinburg, TN - Gatlinburg Tennessee - Official Site, Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce

PigeOn Forge Parkway Map With EVERY Business!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
+1 Klingman's Dome.

Are you guys hikers?
Something very awesome to do is hike up and spend the night at the LeConte Lodge.
We hike up the Alum Cave trail (5.5 miles ea way).
You can do it in a day, we did it ONCE.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

82 posts, read 295,209 times
You will love Dollywood. As was said they hire mostly retirees to run the park and you don't have the "fine employees" with their pants down to their butt cracks cursing the whole time like at Carowinds.

For Food I recommend:

The Apple Barn and Old Mill in PF.

In Gatlinburg the Pancake House, Brass Lantern, The Peddler, Legends by Max, the Park Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte