Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM

201 posts, read 801,704 times

Advertisements

My brother-in-law and his family are looking to move down to the Charlotte area from Michigan. My husband and I just came here about 3 months ago, and we are able to offer them some help in finding a place, but what worked well for us, is very different for them because they have 3 school-aged kids.

They are looking for a place with good schools, and preferrable a community with activities and at the very least, a pool. They also want alot of square footage, because they are considering a 4th child. I know that they'd like to stay in the 250k range, give or take some.

They orginally were interested in Huntersville, but I've been hearing that the schools there aren't all that great either. I've been hearing some good things about the Rock Hill area.

Can anyone give me some insight on something that might fit their needs? Even some advice on the schools in Huntersville and the schools and communities in any area in SC that might be close to Charlotte would be helpful.

Thanks!

Tracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,810,878 times
I can't comment to much on the schools in Huntersville but I do think it has alot to offer. There is always a bad apple in the bunch so it should not ruin it for the rest.

Huntersville/Cornelius etc has alot to offer for families and activities to do. My concern for them would be where they plan on working. If they are looking in to the Huntersville area they could get into a neighborhood such as Oakhurst and such.

Let me know if you need anything.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,134,242 times
The Fort Mill Schools are highly recommended. You might find a larger home in Knightsbridge in the $250 range. It's a nice community with a pool and club house. If you'd like more info send me a pm.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:04 PM

As far as work...my brother-in-law will be working in the South Park area.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:06 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,810,878 times
The drive from Huntersville might not be the most enjoyable for him then. I would maybe look around the Steele Creek area and such. Unless he does not mind the drive.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,892,078 times
Ft. Mill would be a great choice.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 PM

174 posts, read 731,212 times
I'm a big fan of York County/Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. York County cost of living is lower than Charlotte/Mecklenburg and the commute definately isnt bad into Charlotte. Rock Hill Schools are very good with scores slightly behind those of Fort Mill. I personally love the subdivision I'm in that is bordered on Lake Wylie. You cant beat it for the money and it would be in your price range. We have alot of amenities. Check it out at Mysunsetpoint.com if you would like. Best of luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 26,355 times
Hi,
Several of you mention Sunset Pt., Fort Mill/ Rock Hill but when I look that up in realtors for homes - it says it doesn't know that city. Which cities are those names in specifically? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepoke View Post
I'm a big fan of York County/Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. York County cost of living is lower than Charlotte/Mecklenburg and the commute definately isnt bad into Charlotte. Rock Hill Schools are very good with scores slightly behind those of Fort Mill. I personally love the subdivision I'm in that is bordered on Lake Wylie. You cant beat it for the money and it would be in your price range. We have alot of amenities. Check it out at Mysunsetpoint.com if you would like. Best of luck!
I found this on the map...and I am going to drive through it and check it out. But, how easy is it to get into Charlotte from there? It looks like a bit of an indirect path. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,189,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevmarb View Post
Hi,
Several of you mention Sunset Pt., Fort Mill/ Rock Hill but when I look that up in realtors for homes - it says it doesn't know that city. Which cities are those names in specifically? Thanks.
I could be wrong but I have only seen one person mention Sunset Point (lukepoke). Sunset Point is a name of a subdivision that's located in Rock Hill, SC. If you wish to look up homes just in "Sunset Point" may I suggest you go to www.allentate.com (I mention this site due to the fact that you can input just the subdivisions if that is what you want).

I happen to read in one of your other posts that your husband has a possible job offer in Davidson, NC. If this be the case (while I think this is a great area) I would not recommend that you look at the York County areas of SC (Fort Mill/Tega Cay...this is where I live/or Rock Hill...etc.) as we are to the South of Charlotte, NC..while Davidson, NC is on the North side of Charlotte, NC (this would not be a commute that I would want to make everyday).

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte