Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 PM

29 posts, read 97,211 times

Advertisements

Just in case this has not be mentioned before, it should be noted that just about all builders use sub contractors to build the houses. So builder quality will vary from locale to locale. If you can afford to go with a custom builder with excellent references you will get the best results. If you must go with a Centex or Beazer type builder be sure to check the builder warranty and check out the development (if possible try to talk to some people that already reside there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevpol View Post
I had my home built this past year by Olympia Development Group in Union county. 3 partners from NJ. First class all the way! They have worked with us all the way from designing our dream home to the last detail. Our budget was very important to be inline and they met our expectations. We recommend them highly. 704 334-2021
where do they build in Union County? and do they have a website?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappler View Post
Hey Miker2069. I'm having a house built by Centex in Wesley Oaks. Have you heard any feedback? Thnx
May I ask you with everything upgrades and all what is your house costing you?? i happen to like centex and like that development that you are building in??? Looking for more info since we are looking to relocate to the area...

Thanks
Staci

Old 12-09-2006, 10:16 AM

May I ask you with everything upgrades and all what is your house costing you?? i happen to like centex and like that development that you are building in??? Looking for more info since we are looking to relocate to the area...

Thanks
Staci

Old 12-09-2006, 10:45 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post

Thanks
Staci
Hello Staci. Centex is generally a good builder. I can't say I've talked with a fair representation from ALL their communities, but I know people in The Reserve, Wesley Oaks (obviously I live there), Rosedale (our buddy Markh). I've heard the usually this could be different, that could be changed, etc., but generally the overall consensus is positive. They are a national builder so you get only what they have as their templates, you can't make a room smaller or bigger, etc.

In Wesley Oaks, they've been raising the base prices about $3K/mo now. I locked last Feb (well March but got the feb. prices). It's december now, and we've officially seen the base price go up $30K. I have a Haywood which is one of the more popular ones, at the time it was $360K for the base and we add almost every upgrade possible, about another $60K or so.

I'll say this, I do like the Shea homes next door to us, we have some friends that live there, and they have the spiral stair cases, 4 sided brick, etc. But we are very very happy, particularly coming from literally a 1300sqft place (well if you add the 600 sqft in my basement- which I dubbed the "batcave").

Mike

Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hello Staci. Centex is generally a good builder. I can't say I've talked with a fair representation from ALL their communities, but I know people in The Reserve, Wesley Oaks (obviously I live there), Rosedale (our buddy Markh). I've heard the usually this could be different, that could be changed, etc., but generally the overall consensus is positive. They are a national builder so you get only what they have as their templates, you can't make a room smaller or bigger, etc.

In Wesley Oaks, they've been raising the base prices about $3K/mo now. I locked last Feb (well March but got the feb. prices). It's december now, and we've officially seen the base price go up $30K. I have a Haywood which is one of the more popular ones, at the time it was $360K for the base and we add almost every upgrade possible, about another $60K or so.

I'll say this, I do like the Shea homes next door to us, we have some friends that live there, and they have the spiral stair cases, 4 sided brick, etc. But we are very very happy, particularly coming from literally a 1300sqft place (well if you add the 600 sqft in my basement- which I dubbed the "batcave").

Mike
Thanks Mike.I do appriciate your input..Its a difficult decision because evertime we seem to buy somewhere we are paying so high if you know what I mean..lol and until hubby gets a job there its just exploring at this point, so hopefully we will be able to afford what we would like...unfortuantly we are in a not so great financial situation here, and even though my house is worth 670k here in NJ My mortgage is very high so I would love to put down alot of money as a down payment which was the case but with the market here what it is I dont see that happening which means I will have to go more affordable in NC so we can carry a lower mortgage....My dh has a phone interview this week so keep all fingers crossed...

Staci

Old 12-09-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike.I do appriciate your input..Its a difficult decision because evertime we seem to buy somewhere we are paying so high if you know what I mean..lol and until hubby gets a job there its just exploring at this point, so hopefully we will be able to afford what we would like...unfortuantly we are in a not so great financial situation here, and even though my house is worth 670k here in NJ My mortgage is very high so I would love to put down alot of money as a down payment which was the case but with the market here what it is I dont see that happening which means I will have to go more affordable in NC so we can carry a lower mortgage....My dh has a phone interview this week so keep all fingers crossed...

Staci
Oh do you know anything about the development Lindenwood??? Does your development have ammenities? The Westley Oaks section looks real nice and the schools seem to be excellent from what I can tell on GreatSchools.net...Im also looking in Weddington and Marvin....I guess it will depend on when we get there and what we can afford at the time....

Old 12-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh do you know anything about the development Lindenwood??? Does your development have ammenities? The Westley Oaks section looks real nice and the schools seem to be excellent from what I can tell on GreatSchools.net...Im also looking in Weddington and Marvin....I guess it will depend on when we get there and what we can afford at the time....
One more thing Sorry is this Korben Homes? are they considered KB??? cause im not sure but i would think this is the builder all of u are talking about??? they have one house already built OMG its everything I want, but I dont like the outside look....lol

Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Don't rule out resales. There are some absoutely BEAUTIFUL resale homes in Union County. Wooded, full brick, the long drive way- all the good stuff. Lots of character. While some of the national builders are raising their prices, there's still a lot of value out there so you should relativley ok

Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Don't rule out resales. There are some absoutely BEAUTIFUL resale homes in Union County. Wooded, full brick, the long drive way- all the good stuff. Lots of character. While some of the national builders are raising their prices, there's still a lot of value out there so you should relativley ok
From what Ive been able to see alot of builders have homes that they built and were never lived in, and WOW alot of upgrades and the prices are too bad they range from 369k-429k it has the Rought Iron and wood stairs and all wood floors and granite counters and just beautiful...So I have to agree we have built before here in Jersey and well my husband is very torn, because we had a horrible experience, and well I sell alot of New Construction here in Jersey as I am a Realtor here and so many people arent happy with the construction.....But I will keep that in Mind, I love Marivn, Weddington and Wesley Chapel.....Im sure I can find what im looking for even if it was built in 04 or 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte