U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM

182 posts, read 379,655 times

Advertisements

Great pics, Steve. Remember to photograph the most embarrassing moments of their lives for the future senior album! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,559,055 times
Congratulations on the new addition to your family, Steve! What a precious little bundle of joy!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
Many congrats!!!!

je

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
Default On "sleeping" with a newborn

Several months after our first born I started to experience dizzy spells. My imbalance was bad enough that I went to our family doctor. After an initial conversation we got around to how I reacted to the baby crying at nite. I told him I jumped right up and was wide awake as I am a very light sleeper.

He asks me HOW I jump up? Told him like a cork under water. Doctor tells me to lay down on the exam table and show me. Well, I pop up and the room is spinning. I think my eyes crossed!

Says to my wife, John can't continue like this every nite and go to work and make a living as well. John needs to sleep the nite thru and perhaps will need to sleep in a sep. rm.

Sleept like a baby for years!

Good luck Steve on the new addition.
John

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
Steve, many blessings on you and your little family!!

thank you for sharing those lovely pictures.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
What a CUTIE PIE!!!! He looks like he's making the Touchdown sign. Lol. Congrats!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,567 times
Congratulations!
However-I do find your hiccup quite concerning

The only hiccup was some very mild misdirection from an overnight triage nurse (from the OB/GYN office) who advised us that what we thought was the water breaking was only a mucus plug popping and to just go to sleep (this was at 8:30pm Saturday). After much fluid passed overnight, and eventually developed a greenish/brown tinge, we decided to call again on Sunday morning--this time, a different nurse replied "ummm, you should come in right away!" Turns out my boy decided to take a dump a little early on the inside, and we'd now be a slightly high risk birth (the risk being to keep the merconum--baby poop--out of his first breaths at birth). Long story short, everything worked out just fine and there were absolutely no complications! Lesson learned: know about this sign as it is fairly common.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Congratulations!
However-I do find your hiccup quite concerning...
Yeah, as did all the nurses at the hospital when we made it in. I do plan on bringing it up at the doc's office when the wife goes in for her 6 week check up. I don't expect people to be perfect, but this was a little eye opening. It doesn't reflect on the doc's office as they appear to be very top notch. I really don't know what to pin it on. Maybe I didn't explain it well on the phone???

Old 07-30-2009, 01:12 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Yeah, as did all the nurses at the hospital when we made it in. I do plan on bringing it up at the doc's office when the wife goes in for her 6 week check up. I don't expect people to be perfect, but this was a little eye opening. It doesn't reflect on the doc's office as they appear to be very top notch. I really don't know what to pin it on. Maybe I didn't explain it well on the phone???
Well-a triage nurse should ask appropriate questions to assess whether it was mucous plug or waters-especially as you were first timers.
She should also have explained that if the "water " continued then you should come in straight away, or at least call again.

I don't think that it should have been your responsibility to make sure she understood, but her responsibility to ensure that she assessed fully. If there was any doubt if it was waters breaking then she should have got you in.

I would also have thought that there should be a protocol that they follow for triage-ie set questions they have to ask and action according to the answers-kind of like an algorithm. They don;t usually take any risks when assessing over the phone.

I'm sure that you now realise that meconium staining can be a sign that the baby is distressed, although from what you said it sounds as though baby was OK. Meconium aspiration (when it goes into the lungs) can be serious too. Mec staining isn't that common, especially in early labor, but then I don't know how long after going into hospital baby was delivered.

I bet there was a lot of raised eyebrows,action and running around when you arrived at hospital!

I would think it was important to have that discussion when you go for 6 wk check.If nothing else it should highlight that there may be a problem that they need to address.

Well done anyway, and remember the night will get better (in 2 years!)
Just joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte