Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:34 PM

21 posts, read 62,733 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I know you get a ton of these threads, but of course everyone has some individual needs. My wife and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte.

Like everyone else, we're looking for an area that has good schools and low crime. We don't have kids yet, but we do plan to have them eventually! Looking to spend around 200k, we're also young and would like to be an an area where there are things to do. It would be great to be in Charlotte for easy access to things, although I wouldn't rule out the idea of commuting. We're interested in new construction, the idea of owning a brand new home where we can pick everything out is appealing. Does anyone have any experience with specific builders?

My wife is a music teacher, and any suggestions for the job hunt would also be appreciated! (what schools to look at, which ones to avoid, etc...)

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Last edited by banditrc; 04-22-2007 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 AM

48 posts, read 67,291 times
for that price a custom home is unlikely, impossible in the city. It will also be hard to find something in Charlotte proper for 200k.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 62,733 times
sorry I didn't mean that I wanted a custom home, a cookie-cutter is fine, I was more or less referring to choosing surfaces, cabinets, floors....that sort of thing

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
I'd check Union or Cabarrus counties for that price range, you are still close enough to enjoy the city.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM

83 posts, read 399,211 times
Also check Lancaster and York counties in SC.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditrc View Post
Hello everyone,

I know you get a ton of these threads, but of course everyone has some individual needs. My wife and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte.

Like everyone else, we're looking for an area that has good schools and low crime. We don't have kids yet, but we do plan to have them eventually! Looking to spend around 200k, we're also young and would like to be an an area where there are things to do. It would be great to be in Charlotte for easy access to things, although I wouldn't rule out the idea of commuting. We're interested in new construction, the idea of owning a brand new home where we can pick everything out is appealing. Does anyone have any experience with specific builders?

My wife is a music teacher, and any suggestions for the job hunt would also be appreciated! (what schools to look at, which ones to avoid, etc...)

Heritage Green in Cornelius. A friend of mine is building one there I think her base price was like 180,000 it's about 1800-1900 sqft. The builder is Gandy. It's pretty close to Lake Norman, Birkdale shopping, and lots of other stores.
I think even Saussy Burbank over at Gilead may be in your price range too for a smaller home.

You'd be in Mecklenberg county but maybe your wife should look into Iredell county or Cabarrus for teaching, actually the N Meck schools I don't think are war zones.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
I would consider the Steele Creek area in Charlotte -- I have clients that just closed on new construction there at just around $200K. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 AM

201 posts, read 803,914 times
The Ayrsley district is nice...it's not far from Steele Creek. There are a number of developers putting in townhomes, and there is alot to do. It's a bit of a "walking community". My husband and I just purchased a townhome there, if a townhome works for you, then I highly recommend checking it out. We just moved here from Michigan, and we love our neighborhood. There are at least 4 different townhome developments back there, ranging from the 180's to the 230's. Lennar, DR Horton, Ryan, and another one that I can't remember the name of now. You can view the website for the community at Ayrsley.com .

PM me if I can answer anything more specifically for you.

-Tracie

Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Check out Cabarrus and York Counties.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditrc View Post
Hello everyone,

Huntersville is a nice location. If you are commuting to Charlotte, I wouldn't go much past exit 23. Schools vary but I don't know how much of a concern it is if you don't have any. I mean, six years from now new schools could be built and assignments changed. I think they're going to have to build them, not much of a choice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte