Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,306,521 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, I'll be a homeowner at the end of September. My house should be done by then in Moss Creek. Anyone have any suggested for classes to take or a good series of books to read that cover household maintenance and repairs? I would rather be able to do alot of stuff myself instead of paying someone. I dont want to be an expert electrician or plumber but knowing the basic can save me tons of money. Anyone ever take classes at the local home depot or lowes. Are they helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM

630 posts, read 1,869,276 times
One of the best resources I've used so far have been tv shows on HGTV and DIY. My favorite one for actually fixing things and what not are Holmes on Homes (8am SAT HGTV, I believe). The first time you watch it you might be confused. He talks fast but he explains things to his crew and you can pick it up if you pay attention. I've had times working on things when I have a moment like "Oh yeah, Mike mentioned this." It's not the plain old "paint accent walls" type of show.

For books and whatnot, it depends on the job. I suggest getting separate ones based on the job at hand, not a one size fits all book or set. Some books for electrical might be great but the plumbing one by the same people might stink.

And whatever you do, and Holmes on Homes with emphasize this, make it right. Do it once, don't try to cut costs or corners and be done with it. So many DIYers give us other DIYers a bad name because of the 1/2 assed job they do.

I'd suggest learning ASAP before closing on the home, so you can be knowledgeable about any errors they make. Just because it's a new home doesn't mean they built it right.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM

I love Holmes on Homes. Its made me scared to buy a house! :P

I have an inspector, who has done our framing inspection, doing our finished house inspection. I watch some of the other shows too. I'll probably head to Lowes or Home Depot and check out some books. DIY network has a good website too. There is some brickwork in the backyard that I may have done. I may read up on doing it myself instead of someone else doing it for me.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
At one time, some of the community colleges offered seminars and short classes (self-enrichment type classes) on such things as DIY brickwork, making minor home repairs, landscaping, etc. I would check and see what the community colleges around the area are offering.

Over the years, I have built up a library on DIY projects. Some of my stuff is from magazines - some are actual "handyman" type books.

I have found that Oxmoor Publishing often has really good books and magazines. You can often find their publications at such places as Lowes, but you can also order online. Here is a link to get you familiar w/ their products. I have gotten plans for things such as decks, pergolas, outdoor swings, etc. from their publications - Plus hundred of ideas that were helpful . . .

Home Improvement, Decorating and Organizing Books - OxmoorHouse.com

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

630 posts, read 1,869,276 times
I'm great at the mechanics behind making things work but I stink at being creative. I use online like HGTVs Rate my Space to get ideas and sadly for me it usually ends up turning into copying what some designer did on tv.

I don't get the whole accent piece and throw pillows thing either.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I'm great at the mechanics behind making things work but I stink at being creative. I use online like HGTVs Rate my Space to get ideas and sadly for me it usually ends up turning into copying what some designer did on tv.

I don't get the whole accent piece and throw pillows thing either.
If something looks good, no reason not to copy it! Sounds like you are very wise for figuring out ways to compensate for a talent you don't naturally have - and don't feel bad - few people are good at these things! Decorating takes many different skills - including an eye for color.

Nothing wrong w/ seeing how the pros do it - and emulating that.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If something looks good, no reason not to copy it! Sounds like you are very wise for figuring out ways to compensate for a talent you don't naturally have - and don't feel bad - few people are good at these things! Decorating takes many different skills - including an eye for color.

Nothing wrong w/ seeing how the pros do it - and emulating that.
Same thing here. I am not very artsy so I copy alot of what people do. I see no problem in it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte