U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM

852 posts, read 2,213,879 times

Advertisements

would we not be better to just take the tamiflu for it's entire course, go to bed and drink fluids and then be better prepared for the next strain - at least we would have some immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,975,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
would we not be better to just take the tamiflu for it's entire course, go to bed and drink fluids and then be better prepared for the next strain - at least we would have some immunity.
The last I heard, we don't have enuff Tamiflu here in the USA to cover everyone they are projecting will need it, but maybe that has changed.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,664,383 times
Um.. It's the flu, a mild case of the flu... Too many Vaccines, too many people taking too many meds, anti-biodics, using anti-septic soap... There is going to be this Virus that is going to come down and take us all out, because our bodies will have built up a wierd tolerance.

If you are generally healthy, wash your hands as you normally should.. I would bet you will be ok. Yes you might get the flu, thats what Chicken Soup and bed rest is for.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,098,214 times
Quote:
they are discouraging the use of Tamiflu, saying that we could build up an immunity to it and then we wouldn't have it for when we REALLY need it.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM

852 posts, read 2,213,879 times
Oops I see that now - scrap the tamiflu - just go to bed. Just found this link from England and there is a great government issued pamphlet on the same page with just give the basics. I think it says it all there. Also just read that Taiwan had is third tamiflu resistant swine flu patient. Get the chicken soup out.

Link Swine flu could become resistant to Tamiflu because of over-prescribing - Telegraph

Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,423,724 times
Pandemic Flu Online

You may want to go to the Community Section & download the Truth About The Flu Shot Flyer under Fliers & Handouts.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,096,113 times
Quote:
Oops I see that now - scrap the tamiflu - just go to bed. Just found this link from England and there is a great government issued pamphlet on the same page with just give the basics. I think it says it all there. Also just read that Taiwan had is third tamiflu resistant swine flu patient. Get the chicken soup out.

Link Swine flu could become resistant to Tamiflu because of over-prescribing - Telegraph
People here are ringing their GPs ,(or the new NHS swine flu line) saying they have symptoms so they can get tamiflu from these pick up points and stock piling it.
Maybe this is the driver for the article.After telling us all we should take tamiflu immediately if we have symptoms, they are now back tracking.
Who knows what to believe-but I will not be having the vaccine,although they may enforce it for NHS workers.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,189,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Pregnant women seem to be the most adversely affected by this novel H1N1 flu.
"...My Dad received the Swine flu vax in the 70s, and was one of the folks who developed horrible side effects. He ended up in the hospital, near death.....I am loathe to take that vax. I didn't take it in the 70s and didnt get the swine flu, and was working in an 80 person office, close quarters . . . so I am not in any hurry to get it this go round, either. " Heck, Ani, if that happened to someone in my family, I'd be scared to take it as well!!
I understand and to some point agree that pregnant women and children should be the first to receive it but I also remember the first swine flu and the effect of the vaccine. It just worries me that these people are going to be guinea pigs as I heard someone from the CDC say they won't have enough time to "make sure it is totally safe".
Pregnant women and kids? Why not try it on a select group of prisoners or something. Oh hey! How about members of Congress. I like that one.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,088,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
......Oh hey! How about members of Congress. I like that one.
I wholeheartedly agree and will volunteer my time!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,088,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
....If you are generally healthy, wash your hands as you normally should.. I would bet you will be ok. Yes you might get the flu, thats what Chicken Soup and bed rest is for.
You got it! But how many of us actually do that (sigh). I dread flu season even more this year than in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or