Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
This isn't just about fixing the economy, this is also an energy efficiency issue, its an attempt to get more efficient cars on the road to use less oil... which could end up keeping money in your pocket.
Oh please, are you and others really that naive thinking the government is trying to do a good thing for the average joe here? How come some cars are too "old" to qualify then?

this is just another government hand out program where I'm paying someone to get a good deal on a car and help the auto industry out.

You essentially are rewarding people who bought gas guzzlers and penalizing people who seemed to be responsible and bought fuel efficient cars...

This of course is typical w/the housing debacle...(rewarding people who bought more than they can chew and penalizing people who played by the rules...)

Oh well, get used to it

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I looked into that.

The cheapest car I found was a Kia Rio and it was still like $10k with auto and a/c and power windows and door locks. That would be the bare minimum in options I could stand.

So for $6500 (not everyone gets $4500, my truck only got $3500) I could get a new Kia. I thought about it, but I could still sell my truck or trade it in for about that much and get the vehicle I wanted and get a used one and save more money.
I am thinking it all thru/ too, Steve. I would love to have a new truck. And for scooting around town, something like the Toyota Yaris might be neat. But w/ juggling the figures, not sure the clunker program would get me where I wanna be. I have a 91 Benz w/ some engine problems . . . hate to think about them junking it, tho. It only has 138 K miles on it and is in pristine condition. Just needs some repairs b/f I could sell it outright to someone.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
tried that, already. He is not listening. Remember, if it is from the government, it automatically is BAD. no matter what it is!
Hah, since you didn't like my SPECIFIC answer in this thread earlier telling you that people should take on more debt than they should, you get all mad and try to paint me w/a broad brush?

Nice try, but we see through it.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,656 times
I want a big diesel truck, which actually gets reasonable gas mileage (around 20mpg). But none of the trucks qualify despite the gas mileage. Probably because they are the only american vehicle that actually continually outsells foreign brands and will always do fairly well because people need to buy them.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Doesn't planning 101 involve what your plan B would be if demand was very high (or very low) for a new product (service)? Its not like it was complex legal issue or something......

My point is that since all those smart people in gubmint botch this, how are they going to tackle an 800lb gorilla (healthcare) and get that correct?
They won't be able to tackle it. The legislation is a horror and the public has no clue what they would be getting b/c there has been so much misinformation and glossed over facts dribbled thru/ the media. People are still thinking they are gonna get "universal healthcare a la UK and Canada" and there is nothing even similar, except rationing, b/n this and the UK system. Yes, rationing. All you have to do is read the bill and it is spelled out. But folks would rather believe it is gonna be what they THINK it is gonna be.

And yes, this clunkers deal was just a way to move inventory off lots. The deals are such (now that I have researched it) that you only have to buy something that is a few mpg higher than what you have. So 18 mpg aint that impressive in savings in re: to gas consumption.

But if the gubment wants to hand out my tax money in some form that I can actually take advantage of it for once . . . then I will if it fits into my budget.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM

693 posts, read 2,176,083 times
Quote:
Oh please, are you and others really that naive thinking the government is trying to do a good thing for the average joe here? How come some cars are too "old" to qualify then?

this is just another government hand out program where I'm paying someone to get a good deal on a car and help the auto industry out.

You essentially are rewarding people who bought gas guzzlers and penalizing people who seemed to be responsible and bought fuel efficient cars...

This of course is typical w/the housing debacle...(rewarding people who bought more than they can chew and penalizing people who played by the rules...)

Oh well, get used to it
Speaking of sweeping generalizations...

I bought a used dodge stratus 11 years ago... it has 200,000 miles and now gets horrible gas mileage...why should I be ashamed of buying a more efficient car? I probably would have to wait longer to replace it if the government didn't have this program....so by your standards I am some kind of mooch?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But if the gubment wants to hand out my tax money in some form that I can actually take advantage of it for once . . . then I will if it fits into my budget.
I AGREE 100%. IF it fits into your budget it CAN be a good deal.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:

I bought a used dodge stratus 11 years ago... it has 200,000 miles and now gets horrible gas mileage...why should I be ashamed of buying a more efficient car? I probably would have to wait longer to replace it if the government didn't have this program....so by your standrad I am some kind of mooch?
No, you are not a mooch. It would only be sensible to take advantage of the program if you can get what you want and you can afford the payments (wh/ was Jack's main point - he suspects some people are getting cars when they can't afford them).

The program is being funded with YOUR AND MY tax dollars! So if (for once) we are able to take advantage of a government entitlement program (and that is essentially what this is) . . . then more power to us. IT'S OUR MONEY!!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I bought a used dodge stratus 11 years ago... it has 200,000 miles and now gets horrible gas mileage...why should I be ashamed of buying a more efficient car? I probably would have to wait longer to replace it if the government didn't have this program....so by your standrad I am some kind of mooch?

Its not like you can't sell the car privately, correct? So if you wanted to get rid of it, you could. The difference is, I'm paying you w/this program, not some private individual.

Hey, if the deal is there for you and it doesnt' hurt you financially, go for it.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I AGREE 100%. IF it fits into your budget it CAN be a good deal.
Exactly. That is what I am weighing out. I either have to fix my old Benz (wh/ I love) or make some other arrangements at some point to get another sedan. However, I don't know that now is the time I want to take on more debt - even if only $200/mo. Cars are a liability. As far as I am concerned, my favorite car is one that is paid for - and a used one that runs and I pay cash for is my very favorite car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: