U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The only thing I didn't like the program is that they didn't let ME seize the engine on the clunker when we traded it in the other night. The dealers are required to drain the oil, fill the engine with a specific solution, and then run the engine until it seizes. Then a salvage company removes the vehicle.

Other than that, we are lovin' our new set of wheels. Thanks to Uncle O and the folks that voted him in. Ya'll are great!
Hee Hee Hee.

Stripes, I just wanna say . . . it makes me feel a little better about all these handouts to know that one of my buds was able to get something good out of these gubment give-aways. It also makes me feel terrific knowing that a solid tax paying citizen, who can afford the car payments, was able to take advantage of Uncle O's open coffer policy.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The only thing I didn't like the program is that they didn't let ME seize the engine on the clunker when we traded it in the other night. The dealers are required to drain the oil, fill the engine with a specific solution, and then run the engine until it seizes. Then a salvage company removes the vehicle.

Other than that, we are lovin' our new set of wheels. Thanks to Uncle O and the folks that voted him in. Ya'll are great!
I'll remember that when I'm working to pay for your new car.

Somehow it doesn't make me feel very good.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I'll remember that when I'm working to pay for your new car.

Somehow it doesn't make me feel very good.
Well, people are taking advantage of the program. The money is being thrown out there for anyone who wants to go for it. So at least we know a few of these cars have gone to responsible, tax-paying citizens. That seems like a small victory in the midst of all this economic madness.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,199,119 times
Well, thanks Ani! We felt fortunate to use the program as it was laid out.

We traded in our 16 year old mini-van that we had "given" to our oldest to drive. Unfortunately, the van wasn't going to make it through the next safety inspection as it was old and simply worn out. We also traded in a 2006Mustang (showroom condition) with only 8K miles as well.

Combined we picked up a new 4 door sedan and gave our DS the 4 door driver my DW currently uses everyday.

So we were able to downsize by one vehicle, trade in a beautiful but impractical vehicle, give the DS a nice ride to use, and ultimately get rid of the "clunker" for about $3,450 more than it was worth.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:21 AM

171 posts, read 211,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traintrack View Post
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

and the answer is "it" robs them both.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 AM

171 posts, read 211,716 times
A program that gives the rebates only to those making over 200 thousand a year and good for exchanging your current gas guzzler to an updated year gas guzzler with the option of donating the exchange to your good buddies will probably get the approval of some of those that dont like the current program.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
A program that gives the rebates only to those making over 200 thousand a year and good for exchanging your current gas guzzler to an updated year gas guzzler with the option of donating the exchange to your good buddies will probably get the approval of some of those that dont like the current program.
My, my . . . I don't believe that describes either the program or the folks participating (or approving) of the program well at all.

It is just nice to see someone who is actually part of the tax-paying class, whose $$$ supports those who are NOT (but still always manage to find $$ to buy cars, Nikes, xboxes, etc) being able to take advantage of some of the gubment's giveaways. Since it is our tax money footing the bill . . . that seems no less than righteous.

I would think those with the Robin Hood mentality would have no feelings one way or the other . . . since it appears that attitude is prevalent these days. "Take from those that have . . . give it to those that don't." Or maybe that isn't best expressed as Robin Hood, cause he championed a truly oppressed people. Maybe that is better labeled w/ some term out of the Communist Manifesto. Not sure, tho. Haven't examined those principles since college . . . never thought they would be applicable to anything here in America.

BTW - ads are definitely running on TV and other media outlets - for this program. I found lots of info on local car dealer websites. Still time to dump the clunker . . . and I think anyone who qualifies for this program - should check it out. Recycling is a good thing.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
WE are ALL paying for rebates on cars that will make us as a country use less oil and produce less emissions. And, not to mention save us ALL money in the long run.
Kum-by-ya

Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Kum-by-ya
I'm not a hippy-chick...it's just math and science.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I'm not a hippy-chick...it's just math and science.
Oh boy! I'm very good at math and science!

Please share your scientific research and applied mathematics as it applys to the impact of vehicle emissions on the environment for the rest of us to enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or