Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM

364 posts, read 1,167,777 times

Advertisements

We are looking at new living room furniture: sofa, couch, coffee table and are looking at $2000 for all. We have seen prices like these at Rooms To Go and Ashley's. Hickory is known for furniture, but it seems more expensive. Are there "discount" places there for us in our price range, or is it not worth the trip? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Z- man,

We haven't bought furniture in 7 or 8 years, but when we went looking in Hickory we found plenty of ideas. The variety found in a few miles along and close to the 321 corridor was astounding. It gave us ideas we didn't know were possible. We ended up buy several pieces from the Hickory area, and the remainder from the Charlotte area. Price was important, but the way we keep furniture we were more impressed with longevity and construction. We were willing to pay a bit more for quality you don't see, the framework, not just the polished visible parts.
Despite the fact that I don't like shopping, I did like the fact that we made a day of it and spent some time exploring good place to eat lunch and dinner.

It's not that far, might as well explore all possibilities.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
Have you tried Hickory Furniture Mart ...it's a huge furniture outlet mall in Hickory.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Ikea

Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,789 times
We were disappointed in Hickory Furniture Mart but we made out great along the 321 corridor, specifically Broyhill Furniture Outlet and Kincaid, which is next door. It wasn't love at first sight...we had to go several times...but they are always bringing in new things and our persistance paid off. We found solid wood furniture that we love for less than what we would have paid for lower quality at Rooms to Go. We also had to rent a U-Haul to pick it up, but we still saved!

Old 08-01-2009, 03:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,633 times
There really is a learning curve in furniture buying, and many pitfalls. Solid wood furniture can be hard to find. You can easily overpay for veneer over particle board. OTOH, I have seen beautiful high quality furniture that is less expensive than similar stuff I looked at 25 years ago, the reason being it is made in China and their quality has improved greatly in recent years. I just don't like to buy furniture made in China. After much searching we found a beautiful china cabinet, solid wood, made in Massachusetts actually, reasonably priced. I think we got it in Hickory. (sorry, "reasonably priced" is a relative term of course)

Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM

148 posts, read 585,002 times
One that that helps in buying furniture is to hit the outlet stores right after the furniture markets around the 2nd or 3rd week in April, and the same in October. Market is every 6 months, and a week or so afterwards, a lot of the market pieces show up at big discounts.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,822 times
No don't go the Hickory Furniture Mart. You will pay the same price as here in Charlotte. I highly recommend Broyhill outlet, depending that is the look you may be going for as some of the furniture there is not very formal. I bought my living sofa, love seat chair, coffee table, two end table plus an entire bedroom suit of a highboy, headboard, dresser and two nightstands...Grand total for all $2300. So I believe you would get what you need there. We were just there last weekend and they have loads of living room sets there.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
We are looking at new living room furniture: sofa, couch, coffee table and are looking at $2000 for all. We have seen prices like these at Rooms To Go and Ashley's. Hickory is known for furniture, but it seems more expensive. Are there "discount" places there for us in our price range, or is it not worth the trip? TIA!

Based on what I saw last weekend, you may be able to get away with this for about $900?? Again depending on what style you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte