Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM

203 posts, read 496,352 times

Advertisements

NC right there at number 13.

Down towards the bottom you'll find most of the northeastern states.

Sunshine states are the happiest, study shows - Behavior- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
I'll throw in a little humor to go along with that...

-=-=-=-=-

The South: God's Country

There was a man who decided to write a book about the different churches of the United States. He flies to San Francisco and begins taking photographs in the very large Grace Cathedral. Suddenly he spot a golden telephone on a wall. Above it a sign reads $10,000 a minute.
Intrigued, the writer seeks out the priest who explains that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven, and if he wants to use it, he can talk directly to God. "Thank you very much," the man says and continues on his way.

His research takes him to churches in Boston, Milwaukee, Chicago and New York. Each time he notices the same type of phone with exactly the same sign. Each time he seeks out the parish priest, asks the same question, and gets the same answer: it is a direct line to God. He thanks the priest and continues on his way.

This continues through many other states until finally, he arrives in North Carolina.

Upon entering a small rural church just outside of Charlotte he is about to walk right by the standard golden telephone when the sign above it grabs his attention. This time the sign reads "Calls 25 cents." By now he is fascinated. He finds the Pastor and says to him, "Sir, I have been in cities all across the country, and in each church I found this golden telephone and was told that it was a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to God. But, in all of the other churches it was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 'Calls 25 cents.' Why?"

The Pastor smiles benignly and says, "Oh, my son, that's easy. You're in the South now, it's a local call."

Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM

203 posts, read 496,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

-=-=-=-=-

There was a man who decided to write a book about the different churches of the United States. He flies to San Francisco and begins taking photographs in the very large Grace Cathedral. Suddenly he spot a golden telephone on a wall. Above it a sign reads $10,000 a minute.
Intrigued, the writer seeks out the priest who explains that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven, and if he wants to use it, he can talk directly to God. "Thank you very much," the man says and continues on his way.

His research takes him to churches in Boston, Milwaukee, Chicago and New York. Each time he notices the same type of phone with exactly the same sign. Each time he seeks out the parish priest, asks the same question, and gets the same answer: it is a direct line to God. He thanks the priest and continues on his way.

This continues through many other states until finally, he arrives in North Carolina.

Upon entering a small rural church just outside of Charlotte he is about to walk right by the standard golden telephone when the sign above it grabs his attention. This time the sign reads "Calls 25 cents." By now he is fascinated. He finds the Pastor and says to him, "Sir, I have been in cities all across the country, and in each church I found this golden telephone and was told that it was a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to God. But, in all of the other churches it was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 'Calls 25 cents.' Why?"

The Pastor smiles benignly and says, "Oh, my son, that's easy. You're in the South now, it's a local call."
fantastic...

Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM

571 posts, read 715,626 times
I think that 25 cent phone is actually in Hawaii.

Quote:

-=-=-=-=-

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 AM

116 posts, read 298,743 times
Not surprised NY and NJ are way down there.

But Alaska #12? They all must be a cheerful lot. (Ya, you betcha.) Beautiful place to live, but just too darn cold to live.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
You people are whips with weather. I'll take the North anyday. And please save the talk about how you take 60 degrees for for the winter over mine, I love snow and would never move south.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
QUOTE=bradjl2009;12108644]You people are whips with weather. I'll take the North anyday. And please save the talk about how you take 60 degrees for for the winter over mine, I love snow and would never move south.[/quote]

We're not "whipped" or "wimps"

we just enjoy pleasant weather that you can golf or play tennis in year round. And those Carolina Blue Skies you've heard about - they really are that pretty very few ugly gray days like the northeast has. But hey, SOMEONE needs to live the way you do, glad you enjoy it

Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'll take the North anyday. And please save the talk about how you take 60 degrees for for the winter over mine, I love snow and would never move south.

I went for a motorcycle ride this afternoon.
How was snow blowing?

And, FWIW, I am not sure I would move much further South either.
But that is what makes America so great, we are free to move about the country to the weather microcosm that most suits us.
There is no right or wrong, just opinions and preferences.

Just an aside, but I would not read the PA forum and post how I would 'never move North', what is the point?

Last edited by mullman; 12-20-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
I went for a motorcycle ride this afternoon.
How was snow blowing?

And, FWIW, I am not sure I would move much further South either.
But that is what makes America so great, we are free to move about the country to the weather microcosm that most suits us.
There is no right or wrong, just opinions and preferences.

Just an aside, but I would not read the PA forum and post how I would 'never move North', what is the point?
I wouldn't know I wasn't the one who had to clean it. I sure enjoyed my walk in it though with the snow fall and quietness and it was so peaceful. To answer the question I just find the mentality of people who move from the N/E and Midwest to the South really annoying with their weather talk; (nobody up here cares).

Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
n I just find the mentality of people who move from the N/E and Midwest to the South really annoying with their weather talk; (nobody up here cares).
No one here cares how they did it up North either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: