U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,749 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Union county, and I can't find any current info on whether the smell due to the treatment plant near Quellin and Cureton has been fixed. I'm really hesitant to buy there if it is still uncertain. Also, anyone know anything about the wesley oaks area? Particularly wesley oaks glen? We are hoping there are lots of kids there. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 AM

494 posts, read 1,182,567 times
I am 5 miles away and I could smell it yesterday afternoon...so I don't think so.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,749 times
Default any fixes upcoming for the treatment plant?

Are they planning on fixing it? We really like a house in there but I just don't want to regret it. We are not finding it as easy to buy a house in union county as we thought. Nobody really wants to negotiate from asking price. We are really concerned about appreciation because we lost a big chunk with the house we just sold in the current market.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,380,254 times
When you pile crap in one place, it smells. All the effort and technology that man utilizes cannot 100% hide that smell.

If someone wants to sell a house in Union County now, they will have to negotiate, don't give in, keep trying. Don't lock in on one house, because then they have you, be sure to stay open to a variety of houses.

I think I have already told this story, but an acquaintance of ours recently bid on a foreclosure in Union County that carried a tax value of 2+ mil. They offered 900,000 and the winning bid was 1.1 mil. There are values out there, and many builders are carrying huge inventories that they must liquidate.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,441 times
The county had approved about a year ago, $5 mil of county taxpayer dollars to cap the open treatment area to ease residents concerns regarding the smells. Last I looked, which was a while ago, work had not started on the project. Its still a sweage treament plant, so "fixing" the smell issue might be wishful thinking. Quite frankly, that $5 mill might have been better spent keeping teachers and educational programs in place, but I digress.

Wesley Oaks (and associated connecting neighborhoods) is a good neighborhood. Many transplants and lots of kids. Houses on some streets are a bit cookiecutter and very close together IMO, but some folks like the coziness.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,942 times
I live in Quellin and we smell it less than occassionally. They are planning on capping it in the next few years. I wouldn't really let it concern you. I think we've smelled it 2 or 3 times this year. Quellin is nice and lots of kids. Very nice community involvement there. The lot sizes seem to be bigger than most. We also looked at Wesley Oaks and it seemed tight and more clear cut than Quellin.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM

123 posts, read 281,035 times
I live in Lawson, about 1 mile down Cuthbertson Road and we've also only noticed a slight odor about 2 times this year. Both times it was slight and temporary (could have been caused by construction also, who knows). The communities you have mentioned are all nice and have a lot of kids. The best time to observe an area you are interested in is when school gets out and the buses come through, full of kids. The reason you are finding that some home owners are reluctant to lower their asking price is because many of the homes down here were built and purchased near the top of the market from 2005 into 2007. Its hard for them to take a loss on real estate in such a short period of time. I agree with getatag though that there are many good deals to be had down here. Builders are very aggressive in pricing right now and there are many resale homes that are having to recognize that the market has changed, and are pricing more "competitively". Take some time and look around, you will surely find something. As far as appreciation goes, housing usually appreciates 3% - 5% per year in a "normal market". This was the case from 1980 until 2000, nation wide. From 2000 - 2006, prices went up 89% !!! This is the "bubble" that has burst and is still correcting. The long term trend numbers, year over year, are still very bad but the short term trends are starting to turn up a bit. You will normally see appreciation when housing inventory gets under a 5 year supply, we currently have approx. 9.5 months supply. If you find a home you like and want to raise a family in, remember interest rates are very low, prices have come down considerably and the cost of home ownership is the cheapest it has been since they started tracking it as an index 25 years ago. We need to remember now that real estate is once again a long term investment and make a life style choice that we can enjoy and be happy with on a daily basis. Good luck and keep us posted on your search, Union is a great place to raise a family!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,671,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLifeNC View Post
I live in Lawson, about 1 mile down Cuthbertson Road and we've also only noticed a slight odor about 2 times this year. Both times it was slight and temporary (could have been caused by construction also, who knows). The communities you have mentioned are all nice and have a lot of kids. The best time to observe an area you are interested in is when school gets out and the buses come through, full of kids. The reason you are finding that some home owners are reluctant to lower their asking price is because many of the homes down here were built and purchased near the top of the market from 2005 into 2007. Its hard for them to take a loss on real estate in such a short period of time. I agree with getatag though that there are many good deals to be had down here. Builders are very aggressive in pricing right now and there are many resale homes that are having to recognize that the market has changed, and are pricing more "competitively". Take some time and look around, you will surely find something. As far as appreciation goes, housing usually appreciates 3% - 5% per year in a "normal market". This was the case from 1980 until 2000, nation wide. From 2000 - 2006, prices went up 89% !!! This is the "bubble" that has burst and is still correcting. The long term trend numbers, year over year, are still very bad but the short term trends are starting to turn up a bit. You will normally see appreciation when housing inventory gets under a 5 year supply, we currently have approx. 9.5 months supply. If you find a home you like and want to raise a family in, remember interest rates are very low, prices have come down considerably and the cost of home ownership is the cheapest it has been since they started tracking it as an index 25 years ago. We need to remember now that real estate is once again a long term investment and make a life style choice that we can enjoy and be happy with on a daily basis. Good luck and keep us posted on your search, Union is a great place to raise a family!
Good life, I applaud you w/some of the things you said in your post. Too bad your organization (NAR) spewed out misleading information all these years and made predictions that were unrealistic which helped fuel the fire that we currently are in now.

Look at some of the "paid" predictions that Larry Yun and Dick Gaylord made a couple years ago which they knew would never happen.

Its also amazing that for years one of the quotes I always remember was that a house will "double" its value every 6 years....funny how that quote has disappeared from housingmarketfacts dot com (a paid website from the NAR)

This is why Realtors have always gotten a bad rap (and in a lot of cases deservedly so....just look at all the posts from Charlotte realtors going back to '06 and '07). Everyone had the blinders on because volume determined their paycheck and they didn't want to say or do anything to disrupt volume.

NAR Campaign Relates Real Facts About Real Estate | Reuters

NAR Campaign Relates Real Facts About Real Estate | Reuters

Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
Default quellin subdivision waxhaw, nc

Can anyone tell me about the Quellin subdivision. Is there still a problem with smells from the wastewater treatment plant? I have read all of the older info about this but haven't heart an update from 2009. Thanks for any info you can give.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 20,214 times
I Passed there today, had a slight odor. In Summer it is bad at times. I also heard they are to cap it but who knows when that will happen .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte