Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM

716 posts, read 1,545,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now that I think about it, maybe you are running into all those folks that Greatmom says have moved here and are faking what they think sounds like a Southern accent.

LoL maybe

Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
LoL maybe
Hee Hee Hee!!!

If you can understand Elizabeth Dole, you should not have a problem understanding natives in this region, as her accent is very representative of how folks sound here. In fact, when I moved to the Midwest, folks told me I sounded "just like Liddy," lol! Anyone who doesn't sound like that is NOT from Charlotte, plain and simple.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
YO .Dole is not from charlotte but from salisbury,and her accent is from that region NOT CHARLOTTE

Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom1871 View Post
Wow! that reply just proved what I stated to be true... I didn't know people from other areas were called "transplants" also look up US history North Carolina is a Southern state... We as people must come up higher, be more respectful toward one another on these threads. How sad...
Are you kidding? I said Charlotte, not North Carolina and I was poking fun at a topic that had to have been made in jest. No serious person who has a clue would make a post like that. I don't think I need to read about history, but considering what you said, I think you might want to read up a bit about this yourself. Your post about faking a Southern accent made me laugh because nobody would do this. Anyone who knows something about dialects knows that a southern accent is more than adding "y'all" to very sentence.

Oh about being respectful. I believe it was you who started this topic concerning how you were tired of people moving here because they were ruining Charlotte and thus didn't meet your approval. Where is the respect in that?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
OP--- On one hand I'm uncomfortable that you would like to represent yourself as a voice of the North. But I know enough about the intelligence level of the people on board to know they are treating you as a poster with a crack pipe in your hands.

On the other hand I am delighted to know that you are at least thinking about moving out of the NE area.
Whew! One down, a gazzilion to go.

OK folks, she's all yours. Not on my watch any longer.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Wow are you serious? I cannot imagine anyone wanting to change their accent just to sound southern. I don't want to offend anyone with a southern accent but I have an extremely hard time trying to understand someone with a southern accent. I occasionally have to ask a southern to repeat themselves just because I don't understand their accent. I actually raise my voice a little when I am talking to a southerner just soo I can teach them a little bit of what the normal English language sounds like.
I hate to tell you, but, only a true Englishman educated in England is a true representation of what the normal English language sounds like.

Someone from California sounds like they are spoiled and without any form of education or breeding. Just sayin' at least the one that is on this board does...

Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
YO .Dole is not from charlotte but from salisbury,and her accent is from that region NOT CHARLOTTE
Get a grip, Chief. It's all about the same in the Piedmont (unless you are a hick). The accent doesn't change til further east (or southeast, as in towards SC and the low country).

Dole: Chair
Hick: Cheer
Charleston: Chay-uh

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,580 times
Quote:
Hehe im sure they do, we will slowly get the southern accent outta the Charlotte people in the coming years(although in a few years I will be back in Cali)
How sad, I actually love hearing women with their "natural" southern accent. I went to Southpark Mall today, for the first time actually, and that was all I heard...And loved it. I don't make myself sound southern but after the short time here, some words come out like that. My son, who was 6 when we moved here, blends in perfectly with the younger "local" children. Oh and btw way, love the Cheesecake Factory, tried for the first time ever, lol.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
As said before, this is America, and people have the right to move and live wherever they want, along with bringing their less than desirable political/social/environmental thinking etc with them. My answer to that is invoking my right to move somewhere that better suits the way I think. Some resentment is to be expected, after all, a lot of us WERE here first. It's just the way people are. You can't flood peoples' home with all kinds of out of area whacky thinking and philosophies and just expect them to smile and not say anything. Well, I don't expect that of people anyway. All I know is that it's perfectly acceptable for everyone ELSE to "preserve their culture" when going somewhere, but when the native population doesn't like it, THEY'RE the ones being jerks. Just my observation, not directed at any specific transplants on the board, gotta keep it friendly!
Friendly!!!!!!!!!LOL

Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Wow are you serious? I cannot imagine anyone wanting to change their accent just to sound southern. I don't want to offend anyone with a southern accent but I have an extremely hard time trying to understand someone with a southern accent. I occasionally have to ask a southern to repeat themselves just because I don't understand their accent. I actually raise my voice a little when I am talking to a southerner just soo I can teach them a little bit of what the normal English language sounds like.
The only people in the US who speak "the normal English language" are English, and even then most will have a regional accent and colloquial sayings.
If we all sounded the same it would be extremely boring.

Why should anyone have to change their accent? I know that many people chose to rid themselves of their regional accents (usually by going to private schools-LOL) because their is some feeling that it can be a disadvantage later in life, and I think people do judge you by your accent sometimes.
I assume you must think you speak Queens English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: